Bandai 1/72 X-Wing build and comparison

Bauble

Hi, everyone. X-wing is one of my top favorite ships, so it is always great to get back to build one of the Bandai 1/72. I thought I would use this thread to compare some of the differences between the two most recent Bandai x-wing kits. Bandai kits are fantastic, but even they have some seams and ejector pins defectors that need attention. I want to walk through those, so that future modelers don't miss them. Here is a picture of my final build.
7B054720-6C2F-400B-8FFE-F21750D87A60.jpeg

Bauble

At this time (Dec 2021), there are two Bandai 1/72 x-wing kits that are broadly available. Both costs around US$25 presently. One is the "Red Squadron X-Wing Starfighter (Special Set)" (Kit A) and the other is the "X-Wing Starfighter Red 5 (Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker)" (Kit B).
Both kits contain waterslide and sticker decals.
Kit A contains an extra x-wing at 1/144 scale. The decal sheet is also fuller with lots of markings, but I found it better to simply mask and paint most of the required markings instead of using the decals. The only exceptions are the decals for the pilot and the astrodroid - those are useful.
Kit B contains an extra pilot (Rey) and an extra stand (transparent green in color). The decals sheet is sparser but it contains enough extra decals to decorate 4 pilot helmets. It also has the blue decals needed for decorating R2-D2 - enough for 2 R2-D2.
I prefer kit B because of the extra pilot helmet decals and R2-D2 decals. It is easy to mess up the decals when building, so having extra is nice.

B7DA3409-3C47-496C-B70F-28AFBB36C781.jpeg 64949429-036D-40F0-BEE6-2CB9EEA478D5.jpeg 3F82ADAC-2155-4445-8AEC-CAF3178BF083.jpeg 032DA1E7-1D00-448F-868A-2027DFF3A7D2.jpeg

Bauble

There are 5 major groups of 'attention areas' to watch out for.
1. Each of the engines has a seam.
2. Each of the guns has a seam.
3. The gun tips should be drilled out so that they don't look like solid rods. I drilled in approximately 1 mm for each tip.
4. Each of the engine intake cowls has a seam when assembled. They are easily corrected with putty.
Item 1 and 2 are difficult to correct because the parts are small and there are tiny features in the way. I ended up putting on multiple coat of Tamiya extra thin cement to 'anneal' the seams. Then using an exacto to scrap the seams flat. Finally I used some fine sandpapers held in tweezers to sand the areas flush.
5. The wings have ejector pin marks. They are somewhat hard to see, so look for them carefully. I simply filed them down.

There is a 6th area that is optionally worth correcting. The canopy comes in 2 pieces. I found that no matter what I do, the gap between them is big enough to let through light. I solved this by gluing the two pieces together with canopy glue and carefully filling the gap on the inside with canopy glue. Once dried, I carefully painted in an opaque layer of paint (on the inside seam) to stop the light leakage. This is a delicate operation because there isn't much room for a big glop of canopy glue.
B840DA25-D281-4A73-AE1A-C7CBA7F605B5.jpeg 14BF748C-01B8-49DA-B6BF-12913B4F7690.jpeg 35867B58-13AC-4735-B5A1-00EE230645DF.jpeg EFE47A88-884A-4533-96AF-D453BB5B9919.jpeg

Bauble

Though the kit came with decals for the astrodroid, I found that the decals are opaque and they look 'pasted on' when placed on a chromed astrodroid. I instead printed my own droid decals on a waterslide decal film ( Sunnyscopa Waterslide Decal Paper for Laser Printer). I sprayed Alclad chrome on the droid and put on the decals. The chrome finish showed through the decals well. I was much happier with the result.

F0AD6EF7-56F1-41C5-8BAE-1AC842238F62.jpeg

Last edited:

Bauble

I painted the wings before assembly because it would be impossible to airbrush certain areas once the plane has been assembled. I used Tamiya grey green (XF76) for primer layer. The white is made of 85% flat white (XF2) and 15% deck tan (XF78). Some of the panels were painted with flat white. Flat white should be used carefully. A thin layer so that the primer can peep through works well. Too thick a layer will ruin the look. The pale yellow was made of flat white with 5% flat yellow (XF3). The weathering were created by using a bunch of different yellow, brown and grey mixes. I just eyeballed and mixed them in the airbrush pot as I went along. The darkest shade I used was 50% flat black and 50% JN Gray (XF75). I did not go any darker than that. The red was 10% flat red and 90% Hull Red. I think mixing in some flat white would have helped push the color back better. I sprayed on chipping fluid before putting on the red.
896A2CAB-D176-4B58-8B4F-A50EBA1895CA.jpeg

Last edited:

Bauble

The engine exhaust and interior and the canopy were painted with Alclad 50% jet exhaust and 50% dull aluminum. Some weathering with Tamiya acrylic were airbrushed on them. I then used windex on a fine tipped cotton swab to pick off some of the weathering. I had bad experience removing acrylic on Alclad with acrylic solvent. Windex is fantastic! It dissolves acrylic paint well but is inert to Alclad.
86CE7505-B9FF-4F65-BD94-DEC3BD7049B7.jpeg

Guns Akimbo

Windex is awesome for stripping Tamiya acrylics. I've let (mis)painted parts soak in a small container of the stuff for a couple of hours and they always came out clean, right down to the primer (or bare plastic in some cases).

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.