Bandai 1/72 Red Squadron

Nice paintjobs! I really admire your attention to detail and thorough research.
The rust on Red 12's nose looks very convincing and the paintchipping around the engines on red 2 is spot on for the scale IMO.

Got some pics using outdoor lighting since it was overcast. A bit too bright as it lost some of the more subtle weathering and came out a little to saturated/contrasted looking compared to in person, but this is where I am at now.
It is also weird how white the base looks here, but when put next to white you can see how not white is is

Going to wait about a week to let the oils dry then do some decaling plus some dull coating and misting coating in a few areas
IMG_5468 (2).JPG

IMG_5470 (2).JPG

IMG_5467 (2).JPG

IMG_5488 (2).JPG

Definitely have to tone down the gold on the wings

IMG_5472 (2).JPG

IMG_5477 (2).JPG

IMG_5482 (2).JPG

IMG_5487 (2).JPG

Last edited:
Really, really top notch work.
I got back into the hobby building warbirds.... but theyre a bit cut and shut. The scope of weathering and playing with models from the Star Wars universe is so much bigger and you can seemingly add endless details and weathering little bits here and there that just gets them looking better and better.
Your builds here are a perfect example of that.

Found how much sunlight actually washes out your weathering through a photograph though, quite frustrating. I guess the studio didnt suffer this problem due to the large scale of the models.

Cheers,
Josh

Really, really top notch work.
I got back into the hobby building warbirds.... but theyre a bit cut and shut. The scope of weathering and playing with models from the Star Wars universe is so much bigger and you can seemingly add endless details and weathering little bits here and there that just gets them looking better and better.
Your builds here are a perfect example of that.

Found how much sunlight actually washes out your weathering through a photograph though, quite frustrating. I guess the studio didnt suffer this problem due to the large scale of the models.

Cheers,
Josh
I am building an F-15 and it really is a whole different ball of wax when it comes to painting

as for the studio models, that is one of the reasons they over weathered and added all those odd colored panels. Once under all the lights and processed for film, most of it got lost or turned into barely noticeable changes in colors.

Glorious.
thanks!

as for the studio models, that is one of the reasons they over weathered and added all those odd colored panels. Once under all the lights and processed for film, most of it got lost or turned into barely noticeable changes in colors.

thanks!
You captured the onscreen X-Wing look incredibly well. Like Starks said, top notch work!

I got the TROS Rey Red 5 kit to use for my "hangar queen" build. It has all the bits of the original kit, plus the new ones. I wanted to give you right of first acceptance, should you want any of the unneeded parts. I'm building it landed, so I don't need the closed gear doors. I am using the clear canopy, so I have the open-framed one. I have the sitting pilot figure (and the sitting Rey pilot figure). I have the two droid socket plugs, R5 head, two R2 heads, short engine nozzle, upturned nose... You're well along with your squadron, but still have three X-wings to go. I didn't know if these bits'd help. If you're not interested, I'll mention 'em over on the Bandai thread.

I got the TROS Rey Red 5 kit to use for my "hangar queen" build. It has all the bits of the original kit, plus the new ones. I wanted to give you right of first acceptance, should you want any of the unneeded parts. I'm building it landed, so I don't need the closed gear doors. I am using the clear canopy, so I have the open-framed one. I have the sitting pilot figure (and the sitting Rey pilot figure). I have the two droid socket plugs, R5 head, two R2 heads, short engine nozzle, upturned nose... You're well along with your squadron, but still have three X-wings to go. I didn't know if these bits'd help. If you're not interested, I'll mention 'em over on the Bandai thread.

Thanks!

Good to know that the kit comes with all the original parts as well

The sitting pilot figures (both the original and Rey) and the droid head/socket plugs would be nice and I could find uses for them.

I don't have much use for the other parts though and they would be wasted on me

Maybe we could do a trade of something? Anything you are looking for 3D printed?

I'm mostly good for now. I mainly want the bits I'm not using to find loving homes. :) For that matter, let me know if there are any from Bandai's 1:72 range you're interested in. B-Wing Pilot, Poe, BB-8, First Order Pilot, TIE Fighter Pilot... *shrug* I think the X-Wing comes with the most optional bits, which was why I thought of you first.

I'm mostly good for now. I mainly want the bits I'm not using to find loving homes. :) For that matter, let me know if there are any from Bandai's 1:72 range you're interested in. B-Wing Pilot, Poe, BB-8, First Order Pilot, TIE Fighter Pilot... *shrug* I think the X-Wing comes with the most optional bits, which was why I thought of you first.

I would gladly take any figures you did not want (standing or sitting) In some cases I repose them to a standing position, or use them as pilots in other builds. Sitting Tie pilots I can repaint as At-AT drivers for my Revell AT-AT since they are close enough at that small scale to pass for them when looking through the view port

for example, I used the A-Wing pilot in my Cosmo Tiger II build

img_9993-2-jpg.jpg

Oh, nice. :) I just ended up painting the Cosmo Falcon kit in Black Tiger colors. There's precedent. And I was inspired also by others' custom paint-ups -- this one in particular

I have a bunch of seated figures. I'll have to rifle through for a full count. I have all the open frame viewports and canopies... But the only kit I got old enough to have a standing figure was the Vader in the TIE Advanced x1, and I'm keeping that one. ;)

Oh, nice. :) I just ended up painting the Cosmo Falcon kit in Black Tiger colors. There's precedent. And I was inspired also by others' custom paint-ups -- this one in particular

I have a bunch of seated figures. I'll have to rifle through for a full count. I have all the open frame viewports and canopies... But the only kit I got old enough to have a standing figure was the Vader in the TIE Advanced x1, and I'm keeping that one. ;)

Love that color scheme for it!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back