Bandai 1/72 B-Wing with landing gear (WIP)

korben44

Master Member
This is it! I've studied Robert Beach's fantastic work on designing working landing gear for the B-wing. I purchased my second Bandai B-wing kit just for this type of modification.

Here's the original thread: Robert Beach 1/48 B-wing

Robert, I do hope you are ok with me reusing some of your photos. If not, just let me know. But I did want to give credit where credit is due!

So, below is the beginnings of this journey. Hopefully, it turns out well. Questions, comments, help, and everything else is welcome!

20190213_194656.jpg 20190213_222228.jpg 20190213_225540.jpg 20190213_225600.jpg

Here are the main diagrams I'll be using to approximate where the landing gear will be placed.

BWing_drawing001.jpg BWing_drawing002.jpg

OK- I have a new favorite thread!

I want to build a second kit with gear down and in service for a diorama, watching your project with great interest.

I do hope you can make the gear look practical and substantial- a lot of Star Wars landing gear is far too small to support the weight of the craft. Yes, they do have replusor technology, but sometimes a vehicle needs to be completely powered down.

Last edited:
In the "limited edition" B-Wing ( the no dots one ) you can also see how they might have intended the landing gear to come out of based on the open pit on edge of the main wing. There is even that triangular bit in there like in Robert's drawing. The only difference is it is more at the back of the wing than in the middle

In the "limited edition" B-Wing ( the no dots one ) you can also see how they might have intended the landing gear to come out of based on the open pit on edge of the main wing. There is even that triangular bit in there like in Robert's drawing. The only difference is it is more at the back of the wing than in the middle

I'll have to take a look at mine for reference. I've already started cutting the panel out...lol...

OK- I have a new favorite thread!

I want to build a second kit with gear down and in service for a diorama, watching your project with great interest.

I do hope you can make the gear look practical and substantial- a lot of Star Wars landing gear is far too small to support the weight of the craft. Yes, they do have replusor technology, but sometimes a vehicle needs to be completely powered down.

I will be doing my best!

Cool beans, Korben44! I'm glad to provide some inspiration for your efforts. When I was designing the gear, an older term for 'alighting gear' kept coming to mind since there is no provision for movement on the gear (like skids or wheels.) Rather, it simply is to hold the craft up when it must power down. Recalling how UH-1 Huey's have small 'dolly wheels' that bolt on to the skids to allow towing, I could see something similar for the B-Wing (though more likely they'd just crank up the repulsors, eh?)
Very exciting!
Regards, Robert

If you're going for Home One, this painting is a lot less cringe-worthy. It's got some weird scaling problems for spaceship size, but it looks pretty cool at least.

(though it doesn't really show the B-wing, so you have to stick it in randomly somewhere...)

Attachments

• homeone.jpg
    homeone.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 784
Last edited:
IIRC the B-Wing was also seen in the very bottom of this shot as it panned up
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/fd/29/95/fd2995830b75de46863a51edfa6d8cce.jpg
but I cannot find a still from that shot.
This one I must admit is not great
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/bd/68/e7/bd68e7d69ea13def0edacb12693d5f4d.jpg
but it does establish in canon a relative position between the Falcon, an X-Wing and a B-Wing in the Hangar for a potential diorama

Of course we saw a fair number of B-Wings flying about so any decent hangar floor graphic and some service greebly could work fine.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back