Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon, TROS ver.

Talaris

Normally I only like to post when I finish, but I feel this one is gonna take a while.

Even though it’s the Rise of Skywalker version, I painted Han and Chewie as their OT selves, as well as painting the Finn model (interesting this kit comes with 2 Finns, one with better moulding ) as Luke from ESB. I will also paint this Falcon more closely to the 5ft model, as frankly I couldn’t care less for Disney Star Wars at this point.

Most here use Tamiya AS-20 Insignia White or a combination, I’m going with TS-7 Racing White, which is a warmer grey/white out of the can. May not be as accurate, but it’s exactly the colour I want.

F90CA0BC-0CF6-4B7B-8501-C036BC8CE00C.jpeg

Disney went back to the ANH 5 foot filming model as the basis for the TFA falcon. You can see how "thick" it is when Rey and Finn first run to it in TFA. Now in TROS they went back to the round satellite dish as opposed to the rectangular. So is the TROS model any different from the original ANH model with the exception of the removal of the blast damage? I have the 1/144 TFA version which I am going to be undercoating today so just wondering?

Yeah it’s mostly the same as the 5ft from ESB/RoTJ (with 7 feet instead of 5), but also with additional piping on the sides, docking ports and maintenance pits. Also the underside pits are slightly further away from the landing feet, and lastly the engine grill is unique to TFA onwards.

One thing to note about the Bandai TFA 1/144 Falcon, they screwed up the right side mandible wall, making it mirrored to the left side instead of unique piping like it should be. This was corrected for TLJ and TROS.

That is the TS-7 Racing white?

If so, based on that picture, I actually think I like it better than AS-20

It's on my list and I plan on building using it in a Hoth Echo base dio. The sidewall differences do not matter to me since just about every Falcon model and set piece has different sidewall details

I also have a can of that as I had originally bought it for the MPC Falcon I was working on. I will give it a try

Yeah it’s mostly the same as the 5ft from ESB/RoTJ (with 7 feet instead of 5), but also with additional piping on the sides, docking ports and maintenance pits. Also the underside pits are slightly further away from the landing feet, and lastly the engine grill is unique to TFA onwards.

One thing to note about the Bandai TFA 1/144 Falcon, they screwed up the right side mandible wall, making it mirrored to the left side instead of unique piping like it should be. This was corrected for TLJ and TROS.
Are you serious?? You mean the inside wall or the outside one? That's crazy! ESB and ROTJ used the smaller 32" falcon.

I’ve been modding a TFA model into an ESB version by adding nkg and Tony308’s printed parts (sidewalls, cockpit/cone, dish, pits, guns, docking rings, etc). There are a lot of subtle mods to make if one wants to reverse-engineer the kit back into its proper original trilogy form. I elected to go for ESB, since it would require less work, due to the ANH model not having those landing gear boxes. That said, I still modified the shapes of the pits next to the boxes, and had to rebuild some of the plating.

Lots of little mods on this model. I’m going all out, with the printed parts, photoetch, and lighting kit. The engine grill is being replaced with frosted plastic (like the real model), the guns are movable, and I’ll be making the headlights capable of being turned on or off at the push of a button.

Still a long way to go, but here are some mock-up shots, with the stock cockpit and cone attached as a placeholder. The sidewall piping was added with brass rods, and the edges of the outer saucer plating were carefully bent and warped. The radar dish is also movable on both the horizontal and vertical axis.

5FB93549-9873-4558-8DB7-11CA20EB1CBC.jpeg
D5EF84F8-E3B4-462E-A852-874CC651A525.jpeg

Disney went back to the ANH 5 foot filming model as the basis for the TFA falcon. You can see how "thick" it is when Rey and Finn first run to it in TFA. Now in TROS they went back to the round satellite dish as opposed to the rectangular. So is the TROS model any different from the original ANH model with the exception of the removal of the blast damage? I have the 1/144 TFA version which I am going to be undercoating today so just wondering?

The CGI asset of the ship from the new films is an impressive reproduction of the five-footer, but with obvious (cockpit glass, extra piping, the rectangle dish) and not so obvious differences. The TROS variant, of course, restores the original round dish, and has that extra hull panel removed just behind the dish. And, the base model reflects the modifications made to the five-footer for ESB, with the extra landing gear boxes and mandible headlights and whatnot.

Mind you, I have 0.0% interest in the counterfeit sequel films which have killed the franchise, but I do like the CG model. Every once in a while, I have a strange urge to build the Disney Trilogy version, but I just can’t allow it into my dojo. Not that the CG model could ever beat the original physical model, of course. And the 1/144 kit can be whipped into shaped with a few tweaks. The TLJ model fixed the mirrored sidewall problem (which was a result of Bandai being given not-final CG reference materials which mirrored the details). The TROS model makes it even easier, now, with the added round radar dish. Strip away some of the extra piping, and you have a reasonable fascimilie of the ESB/ROTJ Falcon. Me, I’ve decided to go more hardcore, in the event that I never get around to buying the 1/72 Perfect Grade model. This way, at least I’ll know I still have a very accurate model.

47BC2FCF-063A-474A-8F75-9154BCEBFBC4.jpeg
6B0A763A-D030-4B58-9061-4D46A50AE86E.png

That is the TS-7 Racing white?

If so, based on that picture, I actually think I like it better than AS-20

It's on my list and I plan on building using it in a Hoth Echo base dio. The sidewall differences do not matter to me since just about every Falcon model and set piece has different sidewall details

I also have a can of that as I had originally bought it for the MPC Falcon I was working on. I will give it a try

Yes the picture is with the TS-7 coat sprayed over MrHobby Surfacer 1200. Keep in mind, it gives a semi gloss finish, so I plan to Matt coat at the final stages to dull it down. Also, I feel in person it appears more yellowish than what the photo shows. I’ll use a better camera for final shots.

Mind you, I have 0.0% interest in the counterfeit sequel films which have killed the franchise, but I do like the CG model. Every once in a while, I have a strange urge to build the Disney Trilogy version, but I just can’t allow it into my dojo. Not that the CG model could ever beat the original physical model, of course. And the 1/144 kit can be whipped into shaped with a few tweaks. The TLJ model fixed the mirrored sidewall problem (which was a result of Bandai being given not-final CG reference materials which mirrored the details). The TROS model makes it even easier, now, with the added round radar dish. Strip away some of the extra piping, and you have a reasonable fascimilie of the ESB/ROTJ Falcon. Me, I’ve decided to go more hardcore, in the event that I never get around to buying the 1/72 Perfect Grade model. This way, at least I’ll know I still have a very accurate model.

View attachment 1246273View attachment 1246274

I’m considering stripping off some piping, but I can never make it 100% converted for the OT, so I wonder if it’s worth it. Plus I have the 1/72 Fine Molds waiting to be built, based off the 32”, so I thought a CG 5ft replica would make a decent comparison piece.

C5377EF9-694A-477B-B03E-A9085BD6B859.jpeg
A little bit of progress. Adding decals after removing grey paint masks. Next update might take a while as I’ll be moving soon.

I decided I wanted to make this closer to the 5ft A New Hope version, so I’ve removed some piping, and added additional decals to match the 5ft version. Next will be some minor painting, then weathering. I think I’ve decided not to do a wash, at this scale I think it will give the scale away and look too unrealistic.

760B3179-EE2C-48D5-8D02-A7E7CC53688D.jpeg
E369460E-A989-4F1A-BDF9-72B9003C8F65.jpeg
E2C5FA05-AE8B-4805-BD90-9495DED69B94.jpeg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back