Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon decal questions plus build progress...

JNordgren42

Sr Member
Hi All,
I'm new to the forum and I just got back into modeling after a long hiatus when my son got me the Bandai TLJ Clear Vehicle set. I had a lot of fun putting those tiny kits together and decided I wanted something a little bigger so I picked up the 1/144 Bandai RoS Falcon. I'm impressed with the quality of the kit (not surprising since I built a lot of Bandai Gunpla back in the day) and despite some small to medium inaccuracies (what is going on with the cockpit corridor top greeblies?), it's by far the best SW kit I've ever built. That being said since I've been out of modeling so long, I no longer have my airbrush or any of my old supplies and I am trying to decide on my strategy for painting. So far I have primed it with Tamiya white fine surface primer and I was impressed with how well a rattle can laid down. I'm torn about just using Tamiya Insignia White spray cans and the kit decals and then hand weathering, or jumping back in full tilt and buying a new airbrush and painting all the panels. Does anyone have opinions on how well the decals lay down and finish out? I'd love to see any finished pics of the model using the decals as well.

Also here are some progress pics of the cockpit and gun bay. Not strictly accurate colors, but I'm just building this for fun and it will not be lit. And I had to put Han in the cockpit, even though it's not correct for the RoS version, it just doesn't seem like the Falcon without him and Chewie at the helm.

20210117_225710.jpg
20210117_214639.jpg
20210117_225924.jpg
20210117_202004.jpg
20210117_224627.jpg

I picked up the 1/144 Bandai RoS Falcon. I'm impressed with the quality of the kit (not surprising since I built a lot of Bandai Gunpla back in the day) and despite some small to medium inaccuracies (what is going on with the cockpit corridor top greeblies?)

It's funny. Those greeblies are one of the first things I wanted to fix on my Falcon also. The problem is the extra width that they modelled for some bizarre reason. I eventually made a replacement 3D printed part, but it turns out to be quite a hassle to fit! :)

Bandai Falcon Extra Details, 1:144 by AgeOfPlastic on Shapeways

for me i find Bandai decals very thick and do not lay down over details very well. they were really a pain to do Vaders chest on Bandai's figure that i masked his shoulder armour and painted it.
they may be ok on the flat surfaces of the Falcons hull though. have some Marksol or Solvaset handy

It's funny. Those greeblies are one of the first things I wanted to fix on my Falcon also. The problem is the extra width that they modelled for some bizarre reason. I eventually made a replacement 3D printed part, but it turns out to be quite a hassle to fit! :)

Bandai Falcon Extra Details, 1:144 by AgeOfPlastic on Shapeways
I saw your greeblies on 3DSF when I started researching. They're all very nicely done and your site is a treasure trove of information, thank you! I'm not a stickler for exact detail, but that bit is just really clunky looking. I'm going to build it basically stock since I'm just getting back into the swing of things, but maybe on a future build. You can never have too many Falcons, amirite? :)

The RoS Falcon isn't bad - it's superficially similar to the OT version if you leave off all the pipe details and whatnot. :)

for me i find Bandai decals very thick and do not lay down over details very well. they were really a pain to do Vaders chest on Bandai's figure that i masked his shoulder armour and painted it.
they may be ok on the flat surfaces of the Falcons hull though. have some Marksol or Solvaset handy
I almost always used the Microset/Microsol combo back in the day. I wish Bandai's decal game was as good as Hasagawa, the decals on their aircraft kits are usually gorgeous and a joy to work with.

Some more progress, I decided to try the rattle can plus decal route, I'm not quite ready to jump into an airbrush again. I did a test on the boarding ramp parts with a Tamiya flat black undercoat and Tamiya Insignia white base color and I'm really happy with the results.
20210118_201743~2.jpg
20210118_201757~2.jpg

With my test being successful, I forged ahead with the undercoating. Unfortunately, the Tamiya cans are tiny and I ran short, but I got all of the bits done I need to progress. Still, I'll need to take another trip to the hobby shop soon.

20210118_201707.jpg
20210118_201039.jpg

Tonight's progress. I sprayed the insignia white base color until I ran out and put I nice thin oil/grime wash on a bunch of the greeblies. The top saucer needs another pass in a few spots and it went on a touch heavy in a few other areas.

Note to self, don't spray a large piece when you're not sure how much paint is left in the can.
20210119_220341.jpg
20210119_215813.jpg
20210119_221230.jpg
20210119_221554.jpg

I've made pretty good progress, all of the decals have been placed and scratched up a bit, she is mostly assembled, and I put a coat of flat clear on. I'm not super happy with the way the clear went on, it laid down differently on the decals and puffed them up slightly and really brought out any areas where the base color was slightly light. But ces't la vie. Hopefully everything will even out with the weathering.

20210124_192725.jpg

20210124_192750.jpg
20210124_192757.jpg

Did you put a gloss coat over the decals first?
I just went with straight flat, next build I'll have to remember to use gloss first. It's been quite a while since I've done much of anything but miniatures. I put a really thin wash of dirtied up base color over the whole thing and it knocked back the saturation of the colors and blended in the decal sheen quite nicely.
20210125_201341~2.jpg

I was bit by not using a gloss and putting Tamiya flat directly over the decals. There is even a warning on the cap. That is what I get for not using my glasses!

Great work so far...I've yet to build a 1/144 Falcon but seeing your progression pics has me really wanting to pick one up.

I've never used Tamiya sealers, but out of curiosity, do they recommend using gloss over decals before you apply flat?
Just making sure I understood correctly.

Excellent work so far, anxious to see finished Falcon.

Great work so far...I've yet to build a 1/144 Falcon but seeing your progression pics has me really wanting to pick one up.

I've never used Tamiya sealers, but out of curiosity, do they recommend using gloss over decals before you apply flat?
Just making sure I understood correctly.

Excellent work so far, anxious to see finished Falcon.
Thanks!

As far as the Tamiya sealers, I looked at the cap of my can of flat and Edge10 is 100% correct, it says not to put it directly over decals. They even thought it important enough to translate into English.

I finished the dark wash on both the top and bottom and started a very light drybrushing of the base color to even things out a little and bring out details a little better. I'm happy with how she is coming along.

Top with wash and base color drybrush coat applied.
20210127_230244.jpg

Close up of mandible
20210127_230259.jpg

Bottom with only the wash applied.much more splotchy at thos stage.
20210127_231747.jpg

The dark wash and drybrushing are complete on both the top and bottom, and I've started on rust and oil streaks. The dark wash isn't "correct" to the studio models, but at this scale, I think a little extra pop looks good.

20210128_234547.jpg

20210128_234610.jpg

20210128_234633.jpg

Excellent work, buddy.
A lot of times the Falcon gets way too much weathering (my opinion only) but you kept it minimal - in line with the film version - yet the weathering and streaks are really well done.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back