Bad Blood!

Justin1

Well... I think at this point if I've got any sort of reputation on here, it's "that dude who takes forever to finish anything," lol I don't really know what to say about the kit that hasn't been said before. Narin's got some unreal talent. Everyone was really encouraging and really supportive throughout the build, and I thank every one of you for that, but especially medorik, John Hircock and especially King Joe, and for all the great inspiration!

I wanted to treat this piece differently than my first, The Death Warrior, and although I initially set out to do the same sort of thing I already had, I decided I wanted to make it totally different, so I tried to achieve a skin and patterning that I hadn't seen before. I'm very happy with the results. I also wanted him to appear more opulent than the average predator, and portrayed that through his armor the best I could, by using grander and gaudier tones such as the bronze and gold, as well as various bits of leathers he's added, to show he feels he stands out from the silver and steel tones adorning most other preds. Beyond that, not much else to say. I'm very unhappy with the pred on the base as I had to repaint him 3 times and finally said "screw it," then to make it worse the transparent paint pooled all over his abs. The head on the spear also took me a long time to get to a point I was happy. I found it VERY difficult to get him looking appropriately "elderish," like he was old and aged. In retrospect, I also think doing ONLY silver for the beads is pretty boring looking. Oh, well. Lesson for next time!

Comments and especially criticisms always welcome! Thanks for looking! And check the accompanying link to my flickr page if you want to see higher resolution pics.

My flickr page

UPDATE!: I've been getting a lot of compliments on the "blue color" I used for the skin, despite the fact that there is NO BLUE on the Bad Blood himself! The bluish tone comes from one of the lamps I used to light the piece having a white/bluish bulb while all the others had yellow bulbs. Here's a picture I had originally posted lower, but decided to include up here to try and eliminate any more confusion! Thanks, guys!

There's no blue!

Last edited by a moderator:
Great Job Justin!!

I for one applaud you for choosing that blueish tone for the skin, your attention to detail is also superb imo. Good work takes time at the end of the day its defo worth come the final results.

thanks for sharin

I WAS going to post a response to this, but instead I'm going to make you wait five months, then I'll post it.

Touchér, Bensin... Touchér...

And thanks a lot, guys! Unfortunately, there's no blue on the piece besides the head on the spear. The bluish tint comes from the bright blue lamp I used to try and get some extra light on the piece when I was photographing. The bulbs I bought were pretty yellow and I only had one "daylight" bulb because the bulbs I bought weren't bluish like I thought they would be, :( So... yeah. Just whitish/pale, no blue...

Justin

I think you have done a unique take on the Bad Blood and simply knocked it out of the park.
The Elder head on the spear is a great idea, you've got the spotted dreads and blood effect perfect. I also dig the Armour on the Bad Blood, i too prefer the more weathered, worn look and you have definately nailed it. Congratulations on some really first class work. I can't wait to see your Alternative Hunter!

John

Thanks a lot, John! It's tough to take praise from someone as accomplished as yourself... Sorry I won't be making it to WonderFest this year, you'll have to make sure you let me know how it goes!

Great paint up. Really nice skin color you gave him, only I miss the little spots and blood veins on its body that make it more realistic.
I really like the color of bottom half of the spear.

Erwin

fast forward 5 months:

This looks phenomenal, you should be proud. One of the best paint jobs I've seen on this kit. I like the color choices a great deal too.

I agree with everyone as I also like the body color, gives me ideas for mine. And don't feel bad about how long it ever takes to Finish, at least you finish. I must have 5 pieces that only need little details and I always find excuse not to because then it's actually done. Or I'll go months bouncing between gunpla and resin kits then spend two months re squad aping my fish tanks lol

Great job and hope to see more from you

Looks fantastic Justin. There's a lot of detail in this kit and you've done a great job bringing it all out.

I'm presently trying to paint mine white too, but it's not working out very well at the moment :unsure:

I love the blue.... lighting.

Thanks, D! I remember you were always looking for inspiration for yours. What's giving you problems with the paintup so far?

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back