Backer Rod Dreads

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Guppstah

Just ordered some 30mm backer rod to try and make dreads. How do you shape them? Can you heat and stretch or do you need to cut / shave them? Can they be coated in latex? Any help would be appreciated

Gaz

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Guppstah

Thanks J , great help as always. I did try a search but couldn't find the specific info about shaping the backer rods.
That's the point I am after.

G

Guppstah

I could buy dreads but we want to make everything, if we are not happy then we will buy. No acheivement in buying everything is there?

G

TitanPredator

Just ordered some 30mm backer rod to try and make dreads. How do you shape them? Can you heat and stretch or do you need to cut / shave them? Can they be coated in latex? Any help would be appreciated

Gaz
Hey Guppstah, I saw this video and used this guys method to make my backer rod dreads, hope it helps

and this is the video of my finished backer rod dreads, I think they have the perfect movement and shape IMO

the eldest

The angle of attachment to the mask is critical when using backer rod. Have them pointed as low as possible. I found that by using copper pipe as dread beads, this helped with the straightening out of the rod. But, adds a lot of weight to the mask. I tried heat from a hair dryer to take the curve out but with little success.
Hope this helps gaz.

Guppstah

Great info. Thanks guys. I have ordered 30mm. But I see the guy in the video used thinner. I only ordered 10 meters as a test really. Well see how it goes.

Thanks again

G

TitanPredator

I'm sure whatever thickness you decide on will look good, I personally just prefered the 5/8" backer rod and used hot water 1/2" couplings painted in hammered copper finish.

Guppstah

I have decided against the backer rods. Ordered two sizes now and not happy with them. The shape, the curl, the consistent width, anything really. Going to have a go at making one this weekend. See how that goes. Always up for a challenge. :)