Backer Rod Dreads

rabbit

Hello all, last night i just finished my first batch of backer dreads, i covered them in a latex and acrylic paint mixture, i let them dry all night and all day today, and they're still tacky and sticking to each other, 2 of them have holes where the latex stuck to each other, is there anyway to keep the latex from sticking to itself and not be so tacky? Please help!!!!!! Thanks!

hey mate i had the same problem you had and put a post someone in the materials section the baby powder/talc powder was suggested to me as well also you could try using black plasti dip thats what i ended up doing since i was having problems with the latex ripping apart off the backer rod hope this helps but the easiest method for backer rods i found was the plastidip spray. if ya have any other questions just pm me mate

I did 1 or 2 coats with plastidip than i used the latex/acrylic paint mixture. Careful though I had to touch mine up the day of halloween because some of the dreads stuck to each other. However they came out really smooth looking and I liked the results

hey if wana know the best thing to coat backer dreads in.. Black Plasti Dip Spray. works wonders. drys fast. wont crack, wont chip, (unless u rub contantly). but u can always recoat very easy. i tried the latex... took way too long to cure and jsut cracked off. id say get that $7 black plasti dip spray.. itll save u time and money.. unless ur using household materials. lol hope this helps. ;)

hey if wana know the best thing to coat backer dreads in.. Black Plasti Dip Spray. works wonders. drys fast. wont crack, wont chip, (unless u rub contantly). but u can always recoat very easy. i tried the latex... took way too long to cure and jsut cracked off. id say get that $7 black plasti dip spray.. itll save u time and money.. unless ur using household materials. lol hope this helps.

hands down, best way to do it bud, ive seen tons of people do it including me, latex or acrilic paint just messes everything up
when it comes to backerod, id never use acrilic paint or thick latex.

also make sure the part of the backer rod that conects to mask is cut at a angle so the backer rod points down, trust me i even
did that for real pred dreads, if you dont do it the dreads will stick out and look REALLY BAD !

I cannot find any plastidip anywhere! but i have tried putting a bit of baby powder on the dreads and that seems to work and really help with the sticking, its just now they have a lighter than black color. but its good enough. As for cutting the dreads, i put holes straight into the rubies mask im using and they seem to stay fine.

Does anyone have any good tips for budget dread beads? i was thinking duct/metal tape wrapped around a foam ring to give it depth then paint.

Hello all, last night i just finished my first batch of backer dreads, i covered them in a latex and acrylic paint mixture, i let them dry all night and all day today, and they're still tacky and sticking to each other, 2 of them have holes where the latex stuck to each other, is there anyway to keep the latex from sticking to itself and not be so tacky? Please help!!!!!! Thanks!
how did u taper the rod heat ??????

Were u gonna post any pics I wanna see cuz I can get that stuff from work wanna see them........did u put anything in the bottom like a screw I was gonna try that so it haf a little swing to them cuz that ridings kinda light ....

Were u gonna post any pics I wanna see cuz I can get that stuff from work wanna see them........did u put anything in the bottom like a screw I was gonna try that so it haf a little swing to them cuz that ridings kinda light ....
ive been trying to think of ways to give them some weight, but ill post pics soon, and i want to try and get a build thread up as soon as progress becomes more steady

when i did my backrod dreads, i used lettter stickers(the part where you write to so and so),
they came in alot and they where fantastic, they are gold matalic and wraps around the dreads,
staples has them and i think there where less then 5 $

GoldSTickers.jpg

ive been think of sculpting the beads, and then casting them in latex, it would give the dreads weight but still not weigh the mask too much. how do you go about cast dread beads? i was going to sculpt 3 or 4 different sizes flat then cast them flat then simply wrap them around the dread and glue into place. anyone have any thoughts or advice about this idea?

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back