Backer Rod Curve

the eldest

Has anyone come up with a solution to taking the curve out of backer rod? I plan on making my beads from sections of shaped PVC pipe, but am unsure if this will add enough weight to straighten out the foam.
The dreads are already painted so I don't really want to put heat to them.
Someone must of found a solution in the past?
Help!!!

the thing is with backer rod is that it has a small amount of memory.....so it needs to be braced straightend for a while...perhaps try getting some pvc pipe, just slightly larger than the dread, then insert it into the pipe and leave it for a few days or so......or just massage each dread by trying to curve it the oposite way....that way it might counter act the curve and straighten it a little.

I used 5/8" backer rod for my dreads with 1/2" hot water couplings and they worked out great, and helped in straightening them out, however I found out as a newbie that you really need to get the black backer rod instead because you can't dye the gray one and the latex peels off when it dries.

i just pulled on mine from both ends and took a hair dryer on low in the middle of them and they seemed to straighten out but you have to becareful when ordering them because i just brought a 100 ft roll off amazon suppose to be black but was really a charcoal color instead .the only thing i would stress is becareful not to hold hair dryer in one place to long or you will be making new ones like i had to. anyway hope that helps

Thought I'd try adding weight to the dreads so came up with the idea of attaching clothes pegs to the end of each. Been hanging like that overnight and seems to of done the trick.
Thanks for the ideas guys.

Just saw this post. I bought the gray 3/4" backer rod. I found that spraying black Plastidip on the backer rod works perfect. First I used sewing pins to straighten out each dred then applied a couple of coats to one side, let it dry then did the other side. Did not peel.

well after searching the forums I also found many fellow Pred heads had used the Plasti-Dip so I went to The Home Depot (Lowes doesn't carry it here in Texas) and got some & sprayed one of my dreads and left it drying over night, the next day I twisted it, bent it, scratched it, pulled it, even went as far as cutting it with my knife and eureka!! The Plasti-Dip held up beautifully, it's been over a week that I finished all 40 dreads and that stuff stuck to them very nicely, I slid the painted coupling rings on them and nothing, so yes, Plasti-Dip is THE WAY to go on backer rods.

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:27354]

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back