back to the future nike mag scratch build wip (pic heavy)

krispikarim

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
For the past few years, i have seen people buying the kmags ( nike mag knockoffs) and modifying them to become as accurate as possible, and for a while i was thinking about doing that, but to me spending $230+ on kmags, then heavily modifying them to become kinda accurate doesnt seem that worth it to me, so 2 days ago i decided to begin making my own mags from scratch. I am near done with the base for the left foot, and when i fully clean it up, i will mold it, and cast it in a rubber ( i have progress pics!!! lol)
IMG_0581.JPGthis is just a block of foam board i cut into shape with some templates i drew
IMG_0584.JPGi added air dry clay around the sides using another template ans reference when i was sculpting
IMG_0592.JPGi added a thin layer of polyester resin to prevent the sir dry clay from shrinking and cracking
IMG_0593.JPG
IMG_0596.JPGi then filled all the imperfections with plaster ( i didnt want to use bondo, because plaster is alot easier to sand)
IMG_0600.JPGi sanded it till it got smooth, and i added another thin coat of polyester resin just to seal it

IMG_0603.JPGthen using some templates i made, i cut out the sole base in foam board
IMG_0604.JPGi sculpted the side with the the air dry clay and i created the grid by just pressing into the clay with the back of a cheap foam brush i found
IMG_0612.JPG
IMG_0609.JPGsince air dry clay shrinks and cracks a few minutes after i felt the clay is dry, and no longer moist i added a thin layer of polyester resin to stop the clay from cracking
IMG_0615.JPGand i added a coat of spray paint just to make sure that the grid pattern was still visible, and thats all i have so far, pls leave some feedback if you can, thank you

MrSouthpaw yeah im gonna add lights, and im just gonna do it the same as people do it with the v2 kmags because its gonna be the same set up

Last edited by a moderator:
@MrSouthpaw thanks, but im doing it because like i really like the shoe since i grew up watching bttf, but one of the main reasons im doing it 100% myself is because in my opinion things are alot more satisfying in the end if u did it urself, but one of my main pushes is that i really want to expand my portfolio, so like i cant just have "modded sneakers" i want to have fully built sneakers that are as accurate as i could possibly make them, i guess i just have alot of reason to do it lol

Last edited:
Nike released their patterns so that part may be a little easier as far as research goes.

And here they are :)

attachment.php

So what I am interested in is seeing how you (@krispykarim) build your uppers. Whilst I think there is a minimum of just 5 parts, as many as 18 might be needed to make this properly.

Attachments

• Real Nike MAG Patterns.jpg
    Real Nike MAG Patterns.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 1,540
cavx thanks, but im not really planning out the uppers right now, because i really want to get the soles right first, and then ill worry about the upper (but i do use a scaled print out as reference when im sculpting), but thanks alot for showing me the nike released patterns lol, i really didnt know they existed, and im sure ill be using them in the near future

@cavx thanks, but im not really planning out the uppers right now, because i really want to get the soles right first, and then ill worry about the upper (but i do use a scaled print out as reference when im sculpting), but thanks alot for showing me the nike released patterns lol, i really didnt know they existed, and im sure ill be using them in the near future
Makes sense to do start at the soles. I am going to do some more on my pair today, hopefully.

Tip on the patterns, you scale them based on that footprint part, so again, it is a good idea to have your soles ready.

It is best to start with the soles, because you can add to the toe and use more sole that would make trimming the upper cloth toe either easier or even not needed at all. I'm still looking for a suitable upper cloth to match either the 2011 release or the 1989 version, I do have some that look good to me imo but not at all accurate to either version :/

krispikarim When you made your mid-sole, did you by chance layer it up in foam or core-flute? I am currently re-working a pair of V1 mid-soles and wondering now if I would be better off just scratch building the pair. I chose the V1 soles over the V2 because of the shape of the part on the arch. It has a shape much closer to the real MAG than the V2 does and this has bothered me for quite some time.

I built up the toes and slimmed the heel and generally reshaped the soles. In all honestly, it has been difficult to get these to the stage they are at and keep them symmetrical.

Layering up core-flute would be easier because once a master part is made, you simply flip it over to make the opposite part. I did this for my master upper patterns where they are made from 1mm Polypropylene. They are clear and I just flip them over for left and right and they are much easier to trace than paper or card patterns.

@JLeezy Is the cloth you are looking at stretchy or not? I have been playing around with both types and I have to say, I prefer a non-stretch material for the uppers. You get nice sock toe with the stretchy stuff, but PITA to work the other parts and keep the seams in line.

@krispikarim When you made your mid-sole, did you by chance layer it up in foam or core-flute? I am currently re-working a pair of V1 mid-soles and wondering now if I would be better off just scratch building the pair. I chose the V1 soles over the V2 because of the shape of the part on the arch. It has a shape much closer to the real MAG than the V2 does and this has bothered me for quite some time.
well, when i made the mid sole its just that foam board (foam core) that i used a layer technique to make it, then i filled the sides with clay so i could get the shape i wanted, and i used a different print outs of the silhouette of the nike mag i scaled to the size i wanted ( you can see the print out in the first pic of the first post) and i just used it a reference on what of the shape i wanted to fix of the midsole, i think its pretty straight forward and quick to do, i finished the full midsole in 4 hours total of work, but whats gonna take the longest is actually molding it

but whats gonna take the longest is actually molding it

Yeah molding it will be fun. Also making a symmetrically opposite sole as well.

I am about to go have a play with some core-flue (sign material and I have almost 50 sheets in stock) and some superglue.

Yeah molding it will be fun. Also making a symmetrically opposite sole as well.

I am about to go have a play with some core-flue (sign material and I have almost 50 sheets in stock) and some superglue.
yeah, but since i have the templates i made all i have to do is flip them and i have everything pretty much the same, i just have to be careful not to build up too much clay, and lol, i literally use this technique for all props i make, except i usually dont use clay, i just fill the sides with plaster and sand it, then i mold the prop base

Interesting. The outrigger looks a little too concaved though.
yeah i know i am going to re sculpt it, it was because it was just gonna be a test sculpt, but i wanted to test how the grid pattern would react wen i seal it with the resin,because gravity would pull the resin down on the bottom parts of the squares of the grid, im gonna end up re sculpting anyways, because that sculpt isnt the cleanest either

yeah, but since i have the templates i made all i have to do is flip them and i have everything pretty much the same, i just have to be careful not to build up too much clay, and lol, i literally use this technique for all props i make, except i usually dont use clay, i just fill the sides with plaster and sand it, then i mold the prop base

You making a wear pair or display pair?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back