Back to the Future Marty's Holographic Cap (BTTF)

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by jun, Apr 12, 2012.

1. jun

jun Active Member

Hi guys, does anyone know where i can buy a movie accurate (size and design) Back To the Future II colour-changing cap?

I have had a look around but not sure if any of them are screen accurate.

Are the ones made by Diamond any good?

Any advice would be great! Thanks in advance ;)

2. Roland

Roland Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: Where to buy accurate BTTF2 cap?

That's difficult. I have two different caps in my collection. An older one from "Miraj Caps" and the new one from "Diamond Select". The one from "Diamond Select" has better colors, but an inaccurate design. The one from "Miraj Caps" is more accurate (except for that button on top), but it seems, that the producers don't exist anymore (the domain name is for sale and I can't find them on Google).

That's the cap from "Miraj Caps":

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the cap from "Diamond Select":

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. jun

jun Active Member

Thanks for the comparison pic, they are very helpful.

To be accurate, does the cap have the adjustment strap behind? I guess this is the main reason why Diamond select is inaccurate?

Cheers

4. GeneralFROSTY

GeneralFROSTY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The real cap does not have the adjustable strap.
    While I feel the Diamond Select cap has a better material, it lacks the material under the brim and it has the adjustable strap. I could have lived with the strap if there were the material under the brim.
    Unfortunately, the Miraj cap is out of production and was the best replica of this - it goes for top dollar on Ebay nowadays.

5. Roland

Are you saying, that I have a small treasure at home? I can't find the cap on eBay. Must be very rare. What do people pay for it? I paid just a few dollars a few years ago.

(and no, I don't want to sell it :p)

6. OUTATIME1978

OUTATIME1978 Well-Known Member

I have 3 of these mirraj caps 1 small still with tag attached and had it signed a few years back by james tolkan and jeffery weisman,and 2 medium, one that had the button on the top which i removed to look more screen accurate and the other was the more screen accurate one with no button which has no miraj label inside which i thought was strange at the time so i guessed it was missed off when it was made.:cool AND NO I HAVE NO PLANS ON SELLING THEM TO:lol

7. Roland

I didn't know that those Miraj caps came in different sizes. Mine is far too large for my thin head. But it's okay for me, because the cap is just for display.

8. OUTATIME1978

OUTATIME1978 Well-Known Member

Yeah i originally got the small because my head aint that big but then found out that was to small so then got the mediums:lol they did produce small,medium,large.Roland hang on to your hat mate as i have seen them on ebay go for over £200 due to them being rare as anything since miraj went out of production.:cool

9. jun

jun Active Member

Lol, cheers guys, now you know how lucky u are to own one of the Mirraj caps.

So I guess the search continues for me to find an accurate BTTF cap. Perhaps some day a member would come along and offer a run of the definitive bttf cap ;)

10. Vivek

Vivek Master Member Community Staff RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Those are great comparison pics Roland.

I bought the Miraj Cap right when the revised one (without the button) became available, i.e. after the company took more feedback from fans on the BTTF.com forum.

One of the fans on the BTTF.com forum actually approached Miraj initially asking whether they will make BTTF 2 caps. Cause Miraj was already manufacturing many different caps with holographic materials, but they had their company logo with a big M at the front.

So then they agreed, removed the logo and had a small run. And I think their regular caps did have adjusting straps, but they removed that for the BTTF 2 cap. They really reached out to the fans and listened to various suggestions. After that run was successful they made a final run of caps, offering various sizes and had the top button removed as well. It was most screen accurate. And since they never had any BTTF name attached to the product, I am guessing it was not a huge copyright issue.

DST cap does have better colors, but still isn't accurate. Their stitching also appears to be bad as it just stops near the sides of the brim instead of closing out properly. They couldn't even make a simple Outatime plate accurate. Besides the BTTF minimates, I never bought any of their prop replicas and don't intend to.

Now I think there might be other companies like Miraj who manufacture similar caps with the same material. Companies who are already in the same business may always be willing to make changes to their product if there is enough profit. We need to track them down and offer them the BTTF 2 cap idea.

11. SETFREE

SETFREE Active Member

i need one soon

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  12. Roland

"Hey, the Big M! How's it hangin', McFly?" :lol:lol:D

13. Vivek

Vivek Master Member Community Staff RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hahaha..well played :lol.

14. RJA

RJA Member

I think the BTTF.com store still has these available.

15. Roland

Not the "Miraj" cap. Just the inaccurate new cap from "Diamond Select".

16. bondfan2000

bondfan2000 New Member

Are they still being sold at the studios?

17. Contec

Contec Master Member

Bump for the same question. Where can one get a nice cap.

18. BTTF123*

BTTF123* Active Member

---------------
    Wow, That was me ! I am BTTF123 Tim and I called them about the caps they had with the M logo on it , stitching in the brim, strap on the back, button on top. I asked them what would be a mim. run to make them screen accurate with out all of that and they ran me 10 hats for $500. It took a little over a month, about 45 days. They sent me the hats from there office and I sold off all but one over the years. Just have one now , but was cool to get it done. However after all of that, they seen a better martket then the one with the M logo on it, the BTTF Market. So they started getting them made they way I asked them to then on out and called it a Back to the Future edition.

19. TheRealMcFly

TheRealMcFly Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Who made the hats that were not sold, but made specifically for the 2011 Nike MAG event?

20. Onkelpsycho

Onkelpsycho Sr Member

Yeah, I watched these caps a while and after they decide to make a more acurate one I got one, still happy with it... ^^

21. Devil Master

Devil Master New Member

Wasn't Miraj also supposed to release a backpack, made with the same material as the cap? Did they ever release it? This is a photograph I found on an Italian BTTF site:
    [​IMG]

Brigandia36 likes this.
  22. Bttfhatfanatic

Bttfhatfanatic New Member

Hello! I have good news for anyone who is looking for a screen accurate BTTF hat! It looks like somebody posted a Miraj screen accurate version of the BTTF hat alongside a bunch of other Miraj Caps on Ebay! These caps haven't been made in almost a decade, I almost can't believe they are all posted. I hope that there are enough of them to go around for everyone on here but I doubt it. I hope this was helpful to you all. And now I'll make like a tree, and get outta here.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  23. Bttfhatfanatic

Bttfhatfanatic New Member

I'll just leave these here...

Attached Files:

MattgomeryBurns likes this.
  24. U2fan24

U2fan24 Active Member

I have a miraj cap. Its accurate :)
    has anyone ever tried to sew two licenced hats together to make one strapless hat?
    Im really curious how that would turn out.

25. EmmaInCandyland

EmmaInCandyland Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yes, someone did with the diamond select one:

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=169294&highlight=bttf+cap

26. justy

justy Active Member

I have one of the miraj caps from long ago and a couple of the diamond ones. Both are nice, though the diamond's colors are brighter, (not to mention still being made...) Nice hats though, I wish they were fitted and came in different sizes though.

27. Ojobenito

Ojobenito Active Member

Sorry to bring this topic back, but for those interested there is a new listing on ebay for a miraj "no top button" cap. I don't sell it (as I already owe one), so I just want to give the information to those who might be interested, because this listing is not very expensive (for the prices that were discussed here at least)

Just search "miraj cap" on ebay.com (I don't know if I can give the direct link to the item).
    I hope it helps!!!!

28. Diana88

Diana88 Active Member Gone but not forgotten.

I love the Miraj accurate cap. I see the one on ebay. Buyers beware that if you want this and plan to wear it, the size small Miraj cap is extremely small. I have a small head and wear size small U.S. baseball caps. There was also not enough give to stretch it out. Size small Miraj caps are good for children, possibly teenagers, or good as a prop. Just from my experience...

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
  29. damian001

damian001 New Member

Aw now i wish I hadn't misplaced my Miraj cap.. I remember I was the first person to post pictures of the first batch on the BTTF.com forums. Meh, I'm not too bummed out. Their first edition without the M logo still had the airflow holes on top, the cap, and the adjustable strap, so it wasn't too accurate. Even 3 of the 6 lenticular sheets had were only green/red colors. Half the cap was missing the blue and yellow colors.

30. Soxbrother

Soxbrother Well-Known Member

I also have a Miraj cap, I bought it from them, it was many years ago.
    I also have the DST one. The DST one has better colors, the Miraj one has the button on top.
    If I remember correctly, you could only buy the Miraj cap in one size at that time, it was just a little too big to wear, so it serves as a display piece.
    At the same time they also sold a lenticular bttf backpack.

1446378142654-1206676714.jpg 1446378076927673319212.jpg

On the left is the DST one and on the right is the Miraj one.

31. halliwax

halliwax Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

do we know of any company willing to make a accurate hat replica? I think there's a good interest in a run

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

32. The Terminator

The Terminator Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yes please! We are well passed Oct 21st and in dire need of an accurate BTTF p2 baseball cap!

33. TomVDJ

TomVDJ Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

If someone does a run: I'm also interested in an accurate cap...

34. 001FAB

001FAB Well-Known Member

Me 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

35. JasonMcFly

JasonMcFly Member

Bought mine on eBay, the Diamond Select hat. Doesn't fit, as it's hard plastic and just does not form to your head. It looks like a big block sitting on your head, but good for a display piece to a collection. If anyone knows how to fix the problem I am all ears lol

36. Roland

Change your head! :D

No, seriously. It really depends on your head. I'm looking stupid as well, when I'm wearing that hat. But I saw people that seem to have the "right" head for those hats. :darnkids

37. JasonMcFly

JasonMcFly Member

I have a small dome lol, I wear size S in fitted hats.... so it looks HUGE on me. I might try heating it up or just breaking it in with my hands. I have an event next weekend where I am dressing up as Marty. I have the jacket, shoes, hoverboard, but not sure I will wear the hat as it looks ridiculous

38. EmmaInCandyland

EmmaInCandyland Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think mine fits okay xD

39. Diana88

Diana88 Active Member Gone but not forgotten.

It can't look that bad... :) If you want a simple and easy solution, you can use safety pins to help re-shape the hat. The main part of the pin should be inside the hat so it's more inconspicuous. You can also get bright colored safety pins to help blend with the material better.

Pins.JPG

40. JasonMcFly

JasonMcFly Member

Good idea.... I might try that and see how good it can get

Diana88 likes this.
  41. MattgomeryBurns

MattgomeryBurns Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I picked up a Miraj hat from a seller on Instagram for $20. Although it has the button on top and velcro strap on the back, it still has the tag on, so I thought that was cool.

IMG_0464.JPG IMG_0465.JPG IMG_0466.JPG

HyperShadow and Spiderstella like this.
  42. MitasTouch

MitasTouch Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Did anyone ever source the correct bubblegum, cotton candy colored lenticular?

The one on the far right seems to have the closest colors.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  43. The Terminator

The Terminator Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Good question. In that image, in that particular lighting the one on the right does look the most "right".
    An accurate cap run would be sweeeet, to say the least.

MattgomeryBurns and Spiderstella like this.
  44. MattgomeryBurns

I ordered a few sheets from Lantor, LTD when I had a hat made for my dog's costume last year. I think I remember reading that Lantor was the same company who made the lenticular for the film. My seamstress said it was very difficult to work with because it was so thick.

Here's the product page: http://www.lantorlimited.com/3D-Lenticular-sheets-Multicolor-Yellow-Orange-p/sh-r001.htm

And the final product:

Vivek, The Terminator and halliwax like this.
  45. halliwax

halliwax Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

has miraj gone back into producing these caps? but now adding the button on top?

46. Spiderstella

Spiderstella Sr Member

Hope so that would be so cool

47. MitasTouch

MitasTouch Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

If only there was a lot of interest for these to get replicated. The miraj cap looks to have the right shape, but different colors. If someone got the right color material with miraj patterns, it could be possible for a hat maker to make them. I have a miraj cap, but I don't have the know how to make a pattern from it and make a new hat on my own.

48. MrSouthpaw

MrSouthpaw Sr Member

For costume purposes the Diamond Select is just fine. That is if you can find the right color. Approaching OCT last year, they started releasing some hats with an off-color lenticular that was more gold than yellow and it had a lot more dark tones and purples. Hopefully they are back to the original color.

I'd like to have a more accurate hat if it didn't break the bank.

49. MattgomeryBurns

I feel like this is a job for markpoon :D

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    Spiderstella likes this.
  50. JLeezy23

JLeezy23 Sr Member

Try masking tape to replicate the existing panel, just lay it over the top then put the tape on tissue paper or somthing similar