Back to the Future Markpoon 2015 Jacket Mods

Had anyone figured out what type of material was used for the inside liner of the original jacket?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

157uzc.pngH62eknOl.jpgxu0G2Hbl.jpg

Found these images of the material for the lining from an old thread. Hope these help. :)

I've had this idea in my head for.a little while. I guess it depends on what size jacket you get as well. My idea is to remove the pockets and make them a little smaller. Since the pockets are the same size across all sizes of the jacket they look a little big on the size small. If I get the chance to mod another jacket I would like to attempt this.

I'd like to know if anyone bought the Small or Medium jacket, how tall you are, and how it fit.

Sadly I bought the Large (I'm 6" and 200 pounds) and it's VERY BAGGY on me. Especially in the shoulders. I'm unable to find a tailor to work on it, so I'm considering buying a Small and selling this one.

Looking at the stated measurements, it seems there is very little difference between the S/M/L. Just a couple centimeters in each dimension. But I'd love to know if anyone over 5'5" successfully wore a Small. :-D

I'd like to know if anyone bought the Small or Medium jacket, how tall you are, and how it fit.

Sadly I bought the Large (I'm 6" and 200 pounds) and it's VERY BAGGY on me. Especially in the shoulders. I'm unable to find a tailor to work on it, so I'm considering buying a Small and selling this one.

Looking at the stated measurements, it seems there is very little difference between the S/M/L. Just a couple centimeters in each dimension. But I'd love to know if anyone over 5'5" successfully wore a Small. :-D

I own a small and I'm 5'8. The arms are slightly long, so I usually fold up the cuffs when I go out, but it's still a great fit. I do plan on getting the arms tailored in the future.

Screen Shot 2014-12-17 at 11.35.20 AM.png ThatsMyBuddy.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3163.JPG
    IMG_3163.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 196
View attachment 509000View attachment 509001View attachment 509002

Found these images of the material for the lining from an old thread. Hope these help. :)

From what I understand, the original material was a rainbow cloth, crinkle sublimated with black latex (which would suck for an actual jacket liner.)
I've been trying for months to find somewhere to make the material of that hat though, which is just a regular crinkle sublimation, black over the rainbow, and would be perfect for the liner.
No luck finding anywhere that I could commission it though...

Great Job on your jacket jhk1976! I'm almost finished with using the same Adafruit Sound board. Thanks for the information on your set up, it's really helping me finish up my Jacket Mods.
Finished at Last! :D

View attachment 503381

The sound effects mod is done. I finally settled on an enlosure for the Adafruit sound board. I found some 5.5" x 3.5" x 0.9" tins on Amazon with a clear plastic cover that suited my needs. It's a bit oversize, but the height gave me enough enough clearance to also place the AAA battery pack inside the enclosure, which is attached to the tin using industrial strength Velcro. The clear plastic was easily cut with an X-Acto knife, allowing me to run the wires through the enclosure to the switches, speaker and LED. The trigger switches were then epoxy glued onto a small piece of Styrene.

View attachment 503376View attachment 503377View attachment 503378View attachment 503379View attachment 503380

To attach the LED to the jacket, I bored a hole in the acrylic piece with an X-Acto blade until I had an opening just right for the LED, which I placed inside a 3mm LED holder. It sits snugly in place and looks great. The switches I attached to the jacket using more industrial strength Velcro on the inside of the jacket. It's close enough to where I can place my thumb over the acrylic piece and use my fingers to trigger the sounds from the other side. I bundled together the wiring using zip ties, as I ended up with a LOT of excess cable (I wasn't certain exactly how I wanted to run the wiring when I began this project. Knowing what I know now, I would have used a lot less). The speaker is attached using, yep, industrial strength Velcro. It's a 2 watt 4 ohm speaker, and with the built-in amp on the sound board, it's pretty loud. It was originally going to go inside the enclosure, but I though it would be more easily heard down by the switches.

The enclosure and excess cable sit perfectly in the right inside pocket I had added to the jacket when I had it custom tailored. I added a strip of Velcro to the pocket to help keep it sealed shut. The left inside pocket is home to my Gray's Sports Almanac replica.

View attachment 503386View attachment 503387View attachment 503388View attachment 503389View attachment 503390

Here's the final sound mod in action:

https://youtu.be/EhgnAqp8Bec

Thank you to everyone in these forums for your guidance. I am really pleased with the way it turned out. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Great Job on your jacket jhk1976! I'm almost finished with using the same Adafruit Sound board. Thanks for the information on your set up, it's really helping me finish up my Jacket Mods.

IMG_6178.JPGIMG_6179.JPG

No problem. I've since made a revised version that improves on the original. Version one was functional, but I was still learning the basics of electronics and soldering, so there was a lot of room for improvement. I was uncertain where I was going to mount the mod into the jacket too -- so there was a LOT of excess cable. The case was also overkill, as I couldn't find one that was a "just right" fit. The new version is a refinement: better fitting case, less extraneous cabling, the elimination of one redundant button, an on-off switch, and a rechargeable Li-On battery to replace the AAA battery back the last one had. The lid also has a Pepsi Perfect decal, because why the heck not?

IMG_6178.JPG

IMG_6179.JPG

View attachment 600512View attachment 600513

No problem. I've since made a revised version that improves on the original. Version one was functional, but I was still learning the basics of electronics and soldering, so there was a lot of room for improvement. I was uncertain where I was going to mount the mod into the jacket too -- so there was a LOT of excess cable. The case was also overkill, as I couldn't find one that was a "just right" fit. The new version is a refinement: better fitting case, less extraneous cabling, the elimination of one redundant button, an on-off switch, and a rechargeable Li-On battery to replace the AAA battery back the last one had. The lid also has a Pepsi Perfect decal, because why the heck not?
That looks very neat, nice job. Hopefully i'll get time to try and add this mod to my jacket one day.

I'd like to give a HUGE THANK YOU to everyone on this Thread! I finished my jacket last mouth, just in time for Simi Valley ComicCon. Also took my Almanac from Mark Poon & had it autographed by Michael J Fox, Christopher Loyd, & Lia Thompson!
P-4JB-FJ7-DYH.JPG
I slimmed the jacket biceps. Added Inside Pocket for Almanac & other smaller pocket for electronics. Shortened the length of the jacket. Raised the belt line. Pleaded the Waist & wrists. Used my Drexel to slim the Thickness of the Belt & Cuffs. I decided to used some Color Changing Spray Paint on the belt & cuffs(which I know isn't True to the Original), but I wanted my stamp on it.;) I Sprayed the inside of the Belt & cuffs with Super77 glue prior to using the suggested Expanding Black Foam. Cut out circles into the foam to fit 30mm Sew On Snaps (the female end) onto the Belt & used 10mm on the cuffs. Sprayed 2 layers of Black Plasti Dip, then epoxied the Snaps into belt & cuffs. I sewed on the Male ends of the Sew On Snaps to the Black Canvas on the Wrist & Belt of the Jacket. It looks So Clean. I cut to size some Plexiglas & glued it to the inside of the jacket to support the Black Pocket Trim Pieces as I've noticed others Jackets with Broken ones. Fabricated Functioning Buttons by cutting & building onto the pieces Mark provided. Used some LilyPad Yellow LED's. Lastly used the adafruit Sound Board.

Last edited:
@HanSewLow is that the belt and cuffs that come with the jacket? They look blue.

Good photo.
Hello Cavx, yes it is the belts & cuffs that came with the kit. I mentioned that I used Color Changing Spray Paint on them to make it my own. I remember reading another Thread were EdwardH pointed out the the Original Jacket had an Iridescent Sheen to the belt & cuffs almost like an Oil Slick. I couldn't figure out how to do that, so I improvised. Here is a Zoomed in Image of the Original Jacket.
Belt4.png
On my jacket depending on the angle of light they change color from a reddish tone to purple. It seems as though the paint is easy to come off though. As I noticed a few chips on the jacket the next day after I wrote it. I do like the effect & can easily put back to the original black color. For now I like it.

@HanSewLow is that the belt and cuffs that come with the jacket? They look blue.

Good photo.
Hello Cavx, yes it is the belts & cuffs that came with the kit. I mentioned that I used Color Changing Spray Paint on them to make it my own. I remember reading another Thread were EdwardH pointed out the the Original Jacket had an Iridescent Sheen to the belt & cuffs almost like an Oil Slick. I couldn't figure out how to do that, so I improvised. Here is a Zoomed in Image of the Original Belt.
Belt4.png
On my jacket depending on the angle of light they change color from a reddish tone to purple. It seems as though the paint is easy to come off though. As I noticed a few chips on the jacket the next day after I wrote it. I do like the effect & can easily put back to the original black color. For now I like it.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back