Back to the Future II Remastered 2015

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Luuke, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Luuke

Luuke Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Ok, follow me on this. Since we're actually catching up to Marty McFly in the year 2015 how cool would it be to have the studio reshoot the scenes in BTTF II with Michael J Fox as he would be his future self and replace those new scenes in the movie. That would be awesome!!! Same goes with the chick who played his girlfriend/wife.

2. darthgordon

darthgordon Sr Member

I'm not thinking so... because Michael J. Fox and Eisabeth Shue actually look pretty decent for their ages. The look of the movie characters are supposed to be rough... like life hasn't been all that peachy for them.

I see no reason to tinker with the BTTF movies. I think they're perfect the way they are.

3. GeneralFROSTY

GeneralFROSTY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Agreed.
    The prints used for the Blu-Ray release look just great. So glad Lucas is the only director who ruins past films with tinkering to death.

Bootlegger137 likes this.
  4. Luuke

Lucas hasent ruined anything. The fact is, if he made those films for the first time today, he would have done it the way he wanted to and not have to go back 30 years later to fix them.

You can still take the same actors from BTTF and rough em up a little bit. The point is, the aged makup they used for the film looked bad then and looks even worse now.

5. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

Do you honestly think that Han Solo bending his neck in a manner no human being in the world can anatomically do so he can dodge a missed shot at point blank range instead of establishing himself as the most bad * character by shooting first improved the movies?

6. Roland

Roland Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That's a pretty good idea. But the question is: Is Fox's acting good enough with his Parkinson disease?

7. Jedifyfe

Jedifyfe Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

/\ QFT

And as one of the biggest BTTF fans...no I would not like to see anything redone...

EXCEPT for the cut where Griff spins (from outside) to open the Cafe 80's door. That has always bugged me.

8. Luuke

That's the only thing I disagree with, however, if Lucas shot that today, Greedo would have shot first and it would have looked right and we would have never know of the other way. Wrap your head around that ;)

9. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

If that were the case, they might as well have Han Solo say "I love you too," in ESB. Might as well finish ruining the character.

10. Jet Beetle

Jet Beetle Sr Member Gone but not forgotten.

Hey - don't say that until we see what MJF can do - I bet he can out bend any shot out there.

:lol Darn it. Now I feel bad.

11. steveo

steveo Sr Member

To get back on track, hopefully, yeah, I think it would be cool, just as a deleted scene or extra, but not inserted into the movie itself, unless both versions are released.

12. nickytea

nickytea Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Would it be worth it?
    Like, at all?

13. Roland

And while they are at it, they could replace all the other things: cars with real cars from 2015 (but let them still hover :D), newspapers with real happenings from 2015 (there's no Queen Diana), Jaws Part 5 not 19, the current (ugly) Pepsi logo and bottle mould, Blu-rays instead of Laserdiscs in the backyard etc. ... :)

I'm a very big fan, too, but I would like to see all these modifications. We already have the original version, so why not to have an additional version? It's a bit like the Tribble episode in Star Trek DS9. :D

14. Java

Java Sr Member

I think it sucks that 2011 (and likely 2015) pretty much still looks like 1985.

15. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Similarly, always thought it would've been fun to reshoot the relevant parts of Star Trek's "The Deadly Years" with the aged actors.

16. jarvis

jarvis Sr Member

Yeah, it would have made for a boring movie.
    Doc: We're going to the future!
    Marty: awesome!
    Doc: Here we are
    Marty: It's like 1985 but with cell phones?
    Doc: Pretty much...

17. Idaho Jones

Idaho Jones Well-Known Member

18. Roland

I don't know how it is in the USA, but if you compare 1985 with 2011 in Germany, you'll notice big differences in car designs through the decades. In the eighties the cars looked like ugly squared hutches. Today they are more round and aerodynamic. I think this is the first that an eighties time traveller would notice on his travel to 2011.

19. Jet Beetle

Jet Beetle Sr Member Gone but not forgotten.

Steve Jobs would beg to differ. Remember how crazy it was to see giant flat screen tvs in movies? I remember waiting for video phones and then suddenly BOOM there they were. Or the idea of everyone having small phones (be it in a watch or what have you). Ipads, Iphones , the internet and modern home video games would look like magic to the eyes of a 1985 citizen. One thing that does match is the people of 2015 in BTTF seemed to care about the environment - by the way the Clock Tower Square looked compared to 1985.

20. Java

Java Sr Member

I said "pretty much" :)

21. Master Dahark

Master Dahark Well-Known Member

That would be a fun experiment for sure-- inserting 'real' 2015 Michael J Fox into the movie-- it would definitely be something that's never been done before.
    A few years back, I actually felt the same way about TimeCop (with Van Damme)

22. Contec

Contec Master Member

SAME ACTOR.......SAME BAD ACTING :lol
    I like TimeCop, the beginning Is pure gold...With the gold transport being stolen by a lone gunman against a small army company.......the lone gunman armed with laserpointing uzis :)
    A Part Of Our Heritage - Gold Rush Standoff - YouTube

23. TymerDC

TymerDC Sr Member

I say leave film history alone. George Lucas has already proven it should be left alone.

24. Roland

I remember - It was in 1989 (at the end of my school time), when I said to a classmate:

"One day we will have a Walkman, where you can copy one whole music album onto a small chip. They will call it 'Chipman'!"

That was a slight understatement! Today we have "MP3 Players", the "Chip" is called "Micro SD Card" and you can copy thousands of albums onto just one small card. That's more "future" than I ever had expected.

The problem, why we don't see, that we ARE in the future now, is because all changes crept up very slowly. I am convinced that if we would travel from today to 1985, we would feel like Marty at his travel to 1955.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  25. sswift

sswift Active Member

I don't think it's a good idea to reshoot any of the scenes. The fact that Marty is his older self, and his daughter, and Shamus, is intended to be amusing.

What I would like to see them do though is improve some of the effects. For example, the poor bluescreen when Marty and Doc are standing in the flames. They could digitally correct that to me more convincing. Same with the smoke when Doc flies away from the Train with Clara. And there is a point where the delorean is hovering behind Biff's car and you can see the castor wheels holding it up. Those could be digitally edited out as well.

Actually there is one scene I'd like to see them redo entirely. The bit where the delorean appears on the train tracks back in 1985. I always thought that shot was really badly done. It totally looks like a model, and it's just not a good camera angle.

26. Gamera68

Gamera68 Active Member

i say leave it the way it is.

I'm sure MJF could pull it off, but then again, the movie is a classic :)

...IMHO...

27. Pyke

Pyke New Member

Leave it the way it is. Bttf is pure gold, all the flaws included. Change anything is like change history.

28. DB537

DB537 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The only thing I'd want them to fix is the very obvious cut from the scale model DeLorean to the actual car when it's landing at Hilldale, and maybe a couple of other parts with the scale model where it just doesn't look real.

29. BlobVanDam

BlobVanDam Sr Member

I knew exactly which shot you meant as soon as I read that!

While I'm a fan of leaving things as they are, IF they were to "fix" up anything, I'd like them to fix the Delorean as it lands in the alley of Courthouse Square. The exhausts on the Delorean they used for the landing rig look so miserably wrong, and it just bothers me every time I see it.
    They could also do some slight cleanup on the split screen shots.

But I like movies to remain a product of their time, warts and all. That's the charm!

30. DB537

DB537 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That was the fake fiberglass DeLorean. It has a lot of other details that are wrong too. There's also a similar changeover from the fake DeLorean to the real car later on when it lands in front of the Blast from the Past antique store, but there is a cut away to Old Biff and Marty Jr. that helps hide the transition.

31. BlobVanDam

BlobVanDam Sr Member

Oh, I always just figured it was a different real Delorean. I guess the fiberglass was to make it lighter for the rig to lift?
    When it's landing in front of the Black From The Past store, at least the vents come down over the lights (looks almost like they just tacked on the extra overhang), so it's *slightly* less bothersome.

32. steveo3002

steveo3002 Well-Known Member

i think leave the movie alone

but....PEPSI please make a 2015 drink bottle , you just have to

33. Roland

^^
    This! :love

34. niennumb1

niennumb1 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The whole movie would have to get reshot. There's so many things inaccurate to where our technology has progressed. We're not even close to hovercars in every home.

It was a very interesting take on the future back in the day, but I say just leave it alone.

35. Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It is an "alternate" 2015, that's my story and I'm sticking to it! :D

36. Lost21stJedi

Lost21stJedi Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, your picture and this quote just don't go together very well :lol

37. EmmaInCandyland

EmmaInCandyland Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yeah the movie is a classic, it would loose its charm... I kinda like the bad special effects back in the days. XD even if they are pretty decent in my opinion ;)

38. Paul Andrew

Paul Andrew Sr Member

Every time someone says MJF I read Mara Jade's Father. :darnkids

39. niennumb1

niennumb1 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

HAHAHAHAHA! I'm still laughing!!! VERY good point! :facepalm

40. NakedMoleRat

NakedMoleRat Sr Member

Leg warmers, sweat bands on the wrists and foreheads, big hair and lots of pink rayon!

Hmmmm, I miss the music, but not the dress code! :lol

41. JLeezy23

JLeezy23 Sr Member

The one digital effect that bugged me the most was Old Biff's elbow going directly through Marty's Pepsi bottle when he turns around to go finish waxing Griff's car. And I'd LOVE to see the SlamBall chase scene where the MAGs walk on walls! Other than that, it still holds up & shouldn't change. It'd be cool to see fan made animations/upgrades to it though.

42. Jedifyfe

Jedifyfe Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Leave it alone....I would love to see some extras, making of's and more deleted scenes but the movies as they are, are perfect!

43. batguy

batguy Sr Member

I have pretty much the same opinion about all "Special Edition" re-edit ideas, for any old movie:

Let them try whatever the hell they want. Who knows? I probably won't like it but I will probably find the experiment interesting.

I would be interested in seeing the director/producers release a bunch of proposed changes, and let the fans vote on them, and arrive at a "fan's cut" version. Or even something more personalized, like a menu on the disc that allows me to pick and choose which changes I want to see or not. etc.

Just do not, under any circumstances, start trying REPLACE the original version of the movie with the new one.

The original always gets equal respect, restoration work, availability, etc. People should not be able to buy a copy of any new version without also getting a copy of the original version along with it. Any new version will always be a modification of the original, and not a "completed version."

----

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  44. formula388

formula388 Well-Known Member

I agree!

45. NakedMoleRat

NakedMoleRat Sr Member

What I would like to see is "Return to the Future" A new series, picking up 30 years later. Marty's kid is a scientist and has been enthralled with his dad's stories his whole life.

........Decided to create a sepreate thread rather than clog this one.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013