Back to The Future I: "Tales From Space" comic book search competition - DONE!!!

Roland

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Update: Correct book was found! The Search is over now! Look at post #23!

The title of this thread says it all: Me and a lot of other BTTF fans are searching for a comic book. The comic was used for the inner pages of the "Tales From Space" comic, which appears in the first movie. Only one page from that comic is known:

attachment.php

It's assumed that the comic was from the beginning of the 1980s (maybe 1983 or 1984).

If we find the correct comic, one of my next replica projects will be the "Tales From Space" comic. Of course as usual: free downloadable for everyone. :)

And here's the deal: the first user, who post the correct comic (name and issue) here in this thread, is the winner. The prize is:

1 printed and bound "Tales From Space" comic book (after I've made the files)
1 printed and bound "Grays Sports Almanac" with silver reflective background

Both books will be handmade (by me) out of my PDF files.

BUT: only post the comic book name, if you are 100 % sure, that the page from the picture shown above is in that book. You will not win, if you just post names of hundreds of possible comics.

The search has started. Good luck! :)

Last edited:
re: Back to The Future II: "Tales From Space" comic book search competition

1st . There is no numbers for the pages. (Normal ?)
2nd . The guy with the blue costume has a pickaxe and wearing glasses.

There is actually a page number in the bottom right of the lowest frame.
and te only bit of speech I can work out is You've killed him! from the fourth frame.

Ive got an old Spiderman complilation annual (1970's) that has the word 'WHOMP' drawn exactly like that in one strip, so it could be a Marvel comic maybe? maybe even Spiderman?
I'm not too sure if artists worked exclusively on stuff for one company though?

Here's a new find. This page is visible for a short moment in the movie. Could be a page, where you can order a subscription. The white box on the bottom of the page looks like an address field / order form for cutting out.

Is there any comic, which has that subscription order page?

back-future-tales_from_space_5.jpg-93360d1336192953

I think I may have got it!
I think it's a "WEIRD FANTASY" Ive got them on pdf and checking now, Im sure I recognise the character!

Last edited:

I think it's a "WEIRD FANTASY" Ive got them on pdf and checking now, Im sure I recognise the character!

I also have the first 22 issues of "Weird Fantasy" on my hard disc and I already checked them for the page shown above. But couldn't find anything. Can you tell us the exact number of the issue, where you found the page?

Weird Fantasy only ran for 22 issues. I'm got a few of them too, I'll check it up. But paneling style doesn't looks quiet look like it.

Damn, I cant find the issue Im looking for! If you have already checked them, then I must be wrong :(

While I was typing this, my other half found this thread: Identification of a comic needed...

There is also a page that says that more than one of these were knocked up by the props dept: Tales From Space Comic

The guys on the comics forum think it could even be more than one issue glued together.

If so, it may be impossible to make a definitive version.

Looks like I was premature, sorry.
I'm still 95% sure Ive seen this in my collection, I'll keep looking.

Heres something to cheer you all up:

Last edited:

There is also a page that says that more than one of these were knocked up by the props dept: Tales From Space Comic

That's usually how it is with props. They always make backups of everything because scenes get shot over and over in different angles. It's possible that each backup was attached to different comics since it wasn't going to seen clearly on screen.

Judging by the style of the art though (and from the posts on the other board about it) it looks like it could be from the late 70s-80s. If it was from the 50s or 60s, the interior would have been more yellow and aged by now.

Good luck guys.

I might be selling my large original print of this cover soon. It is what I scanned and have used as my file for my TFS comics.

The page style is definitely the same,
so I guess we're looking in the right direction.

I've also looked at the "Weird Science" comics,
but the page isn't in any of the issues, no luck there.

If we're ever going to find it, we'll probably have a good chance of finding it in here :

http://comicsgoldenage.wordpress.com/

Last edited:

I'm thinking it looks like the ink work of Curt Swan.. IMO it looks like an issue of Gangbusters comic..

For all I know, 80 or 90 % of these comics have the same or similar page style.

I think we need to look for comics like Weird Fantasy and all comics with the same cover style like the Tales from space cover.

Sounds logical that they choose a comic in the same style to fill it with.

I could be wrong, hopefully we'll know soon.

A PDF File was floating around, but I guess it's just a comic chosed randomly, it'S not the same as Brad used for his Comics...

Not really actually. The Weird Fantasy and other similar comics from the 50s have paneling that's looks more squished and more text is usually crammed in as well to get the story in faster given each comic has like 3 stories in it. Plus the bubbling and text is different from the comics of that era. I don't think this is from the comic used was from that period, it looks more like from the late 70s to 80s. The style of art doesn't look quiet like that era either. I attached a page from Weird Fantasy to show what I mean.

Nothing on the page looks like space story, I am looking in 50's police comics.

Many blue costumes and smashing girls...

Is there a comic "N°8" Aug 54 ?

Because the Oh La La magazine was made in the same way.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back