Prop Store

Back to the Future DeLorean Time Machine Restoration BTTF "A" Car

Discussion in 'Production Made Costumes and Props' started by CB2001, Feb 26, 2012.

1. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

I know someone here already beat me to the punch, but I just got this message in my e-mail because I'm signed up with the BTTF website, and its good news:

A message from Bob Gale, co-creator, co-writer and co-producer of the Back to the Future Trilogy

Great news for Back to the Future fans -- and a request for help!

First..the great news (and no, it's not another Back to the Future movie): I'm proud to announce that a complete museum quality restoration of the Back to the Future "A" Car DeLorean is about to begin! As so many fans already know, the various DeLoreans used in the trilogy were designated by letter, based on how detailed they were. The "A" car was the very best of them, and was used in all three films. Unfortunately, after years of being displayed outdoors, the elements took their toll on this very special vehicle, so I successfully spearheaded a campaign to do something about it.

You can follow our progress via our Facebook page, as well as on Twitter.

And now, the request for help: I am calling on all fans who either have original parts from any of the DeLoreans from the BTTF Trilogy, or who know of anyone who has such items, to become part of this important project. Please email us with details. You may have something we need, or you may be able to help us track down something we need. If so, you'll be duly acknowledged as a contributor to the restoration.

Thank you, and onward to the future!

— Bob Gale

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/timemachinerestoration
    E-mail (for those who have any of the original parts or know who may have them): TimeMachineRestoration@gmail.com
    Twitter: Twitter

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  2. Roland

Roland Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

re: Back to the Future DeLorean Time Machine Restoration BTTF "A" Car

Sorry, but if I had any original part from a screen used DeLorean in my collection, I'd be blowed if I'd give it back to Bob Gale! For no money in the world! :p

3. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

So, instead of being a part of film history be helping in restoring an iconic prop (which you may also be credited for doing so) back to the way it was when it was last seen on a film set? And there's nothing saying that there may not be some sort of compensation (though Gale doesn't talk of it, there may potentially be one. The only real way to know is to ask. You never know).

4. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

was just about to post this... nice to see others visit the bttf website :)

5. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

I swing by once in a while, but I'm subscribed to the e-mails from the site, so I'm still somewhat in the loop. And when I got the e-mail, I was like, "Dude, I totally got to post this on the Replica Prop Forum", as I know there were a few that have gone out to see the cars, some of them taking upclose pictures of some of the parts to help for reference for their vehicles.

Honestly, I'm glad to hear that Bob Gale has decided to take the initiative and get the "A" car out of Universal's backlot boneyard and get it restored back to the way it used to be. As Indiana Jones himself stated (granted, way out of the BTTF fandom but connected via Spielberg), "It belongs in a museum!"

6. Vivek

Vivek Master Member Community Staff RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Delorean Time Machine Restoration Update! - YouTube
    DeLorean Time Machine Restoration Update from Bob Gale.

It's great to see the progress and the amount of work that is been put in by the Time Machine Restoration team to preserve this beloved and historic car.

7. Gary Weaver II

Gary Weaver II Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hot *, FINALLY a real update. Good to finally see something being done.

I'm very impressed.

8. MoviePropCollector

MoviePropCollector Sr Member

Looks excellent. Thanks for sharing.

Thought members might enjoy seeing this:

[​IMG]

One of a kind, original, screen matched & used Nike bag from Back to the Future 2.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  9. Michael Bergeron

Michael Bergeron Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I got the opportunity to do a bit of work for her last Sunday. Made sure to sign the piece (which will then be painted over) so at least I know that I'm in there. :D

10. formula388

formula388 Well-Known Member

Thanks for this link, it has answered a few questions for my screen accurate Flux Capaticor build, how many lights are there, different hole locations etc... I wish I could be there!!!or at least see peoples "notes" on the different screen used props!!!

11. Monster Dave

Monster Dave Sr Member

Just saw the update vid, I am very thankful that Bob Gale has control over this project and mentioned emphatically that this extremely iconic piece of movie history will be kept INSIDE!!!

12. Michael Bergeron

Absolutely. :thumbsup

13. askernas

askernas New Member

So the BTTF car at the Universal Backlot was/is the "A" car?
    I was there just this summer and was quite disappointed in how it was displayed, and what state the car was in.

It looked so worn down that it looked like a poorly detailed stunt car, tbh.

I'm glad this is being restored. If I had a garage (and a huge load of money laying about doing nothing), that's the car I'd build a replica of!

14. askernas

askernas New Member

Oh, just remembered: When I was in LA this summer, I met a few friends who have been working in the movie industry, and they told me a funny story I had no idea about:

The whole deal with the DeLorean Time machine that kicks in when you reach 88 mph was a big joke. The DeLorean car looked kinda cool, but was really not a power car by any means.

The top speed of the DeLorean was actually 85 mph, so reaching 88 would not be possible on a normal street.. so that was the big joke about it..

I wonder how many actually got that joke... For me it only took 27 years... and someone had to point it out to me ;)

15. AJK001

AJK001 Sr Member

Just because a speedometer only goes to 85 does NOT mean the car can't go faster. The DeLorean was built at a time when most American cars came with speedometers that only went up to 85, but some of them could go faster than that.

16. MML

MML Well-Known Member

Not true at all - due to US laws at the time the speedo read 85, but in reality the car could do around 130mph max. (Never tried it in mine though!)

National Maximum Speed Law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Don?t Drive Faster Than Your Speedometer Will Go | The Truth About Cars

Why does the speedometer stop at 85 mph on a 1988 Ford Thunderbird LX

17. Michael Bergeron

To be fair though the stock engine on a Delorean was pretty underpowered for what it should have been.

No chance in hell you'd get it that fast in a mall parking lot!

When you do get them to the higher speeds though they manage alright.

18. iMan

iMan Well-Known Member

I have a pretty recent pic of the Delorean in the Universal Studios Backlot that I will post when I get home. It really was in crappy shape. If I remember correctly, even the DMC logo from the front was missing. So sad. :(

19. skint

skint Active Member

So when it came to the speedo showing 88mph was that an insert shot from another car or was the speedo in the Delorean modified?

20. BTTFSpencer

BTTFSpencer Sr Member

That would have been the "C" Car. So, insert shot I'm pretty sure...

21. iMan

iMan Well-Known Member

I didn't forget about this. I just don't remember to bust out the SD card that has the pics on it while I am at my desk at home. I will put it up soon though.

22. monkeyracing

monkeyracing New Member

Not all Deloreans were sold in the US or required to meet US law. Also, the 85mph speedometer law was only in effect for a short while and the production of DMC 12s overlapped it.

23. Nikkyboy

Nikkyboy New Member

Wow, so great to finally see this happening, I had saw the terrible state it was in through some photos my brother sent me, I can't wait to see the work all done! :rolleyes

24. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Well-Known Member

I owned an '81 DMC-12 about 13 years ago and, IIRC, it had an 85MPH gauge. Although to be honest, the thing started shaking so bad at 60, there was no way it could have realistically gone that fast.

Anyone have a link to the BTTF site? Didn't see it listed in the OP.

25. NagleIndustries

NagleIndustries Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

the US Deloreans speed up like a tank. this was mainly due to what was mandatorily added after import (to meet pollution standards) and the horse power was dropped from like 175 to 130.
    Screen used cars where modified for performance. for the scene in the 1885 desert, a Delorean shell was placed on a Volkswagen frame/base. Stock couldn't do all that jumping around.

Are they going to release their cataloging of the parts and whatnot from the teardown / rebuild? it would be a real jem of information.

26. Vivek

Heavy Future: A message from Bob Gale on the completion of the BTTF Time Machine Restoration

A message from Bob Gale on the completion of the Back to the Future Time Machine Restoration.

I can't wait to see the BTTF DeLorean Time Machine in person and see the fruits of labor due to the hard work of Joe, Terry and the rest of the TMR team for which we all fans will be always indebted to. Hopefully I get to see it when I visit US in 2015 or maybe even prior to that.

And a big thanks to Bob Gale for supporting this project and the whole TMR team from day one. Also considering my contributions are comparatively miniscule, I am honored and humbled for being mentioned.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  27. MoviePropCollector

Very nice Vivek. I saw that letter on their FB page.

What did Mr. Gale mean about you keeping the car on the tracks?

28. Vivek

I am guessing something like the word online got missed out, as in keeping the presence of the car on the tracks online. Cause I was helping out with the promotions and maintaining the FB page.

29. MoviePropCollector

Now I understand. Do you run the Time Machine Restoration page on FB? Very well done :thumbsup.

Congrats on the mention ;).

30. Vivek

Thanks, I informed Bob Gale and have actually updated it now to reflect the sentence better as he confirmed that was his original intention.

It's three of us who do it. I helped them setup the FB page and help them run the page, but it's mainly Joe and Terry.

31. 137th Gebirg

Is there a link anywhere to pics of the final restored vehicle? I'm genuinely curious.

32. Vivek

https://www.facebook.com/timemachinerestoration

Scroll through our Facebook posts from past few days for some teaser images of the interior and exterior. More complete pictures will be posted in the coming weeks once the car gets displayed at Universal.

33. Michael Bergeron

All I did was the flux boxes. They were hand made from poplar.

34. Vivek

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.446867488719243.100741.272760406129953&type=1

The BTTF "A" Hero DeLorean Time Machine is fully restored and now open for public viewing at the Universal Experience Museum in Universal Studios Hollywood.

This is currently a soft opening, as Universal is planning for a special ceremony which they will announce in the coming weeks after they finalize it with their marketing partners.

Click to enlarge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

35. Vivek

36. Michael Bergeron

Flux boxes look great. :love :lol

37. Monster Dave

Monster Dave Sr Member

OMG...I think I got goosbumps 3 times watching that video!!

Now to plan my next Cali Trip!!

38. Vivek

News | Restored Back to the Future Hero DeLorean Time Machine now on display at Universal Studios : Back to the Future - BTTF.com

Restored Back to the Future DeLorean arrives at Universal Studios [w/video]

:) Well done Mike :thumbsup.

Yep, it's an excellent video especially the editing with those movie quotes matching the car parts.

39. concotelli

concotelli New Member

Glad you enjoyed our video!

40. steveo3002

steveo3002 Well-Known Member

is this available to see with normal universal park admision?

and...why didnt they straighten out the front facia ?

41. 137th Gebirg

^^^ Fascia "eyebrows" are a common problem with DMC-12's and difficult to fix, even with an alignment bar on the inside. Mine had the same problem and I opted not to deal with it, as there was no real guarantee that attempts at fixing it would actually work, or regress over time. Wasn't worth the time & effort.

Beautiful restoration work! Looks absolutely perfect.

Was this an '81 or an '83? I could have sworn I've seen versions with the little '83 petrol lid on the bonnet cover and this one doesn't appear to have that (although the photo angle is highly oblique).

42. DD977GM2

DD977GM2 New Member

Id be hard pressed to "give" him anything without some kind of monetary reimbursment on top of acknowledgment of contribution.
    Sounds like a cheapskate IMHO. :unsure

The restoration though looks excellent!!!!!!!!!

43. Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

:lol I thought the 1st pic in post #34 was a miniature! I can't wait to see this in person, great job on the restoration! :thumbsup When I start my "Flux" medicine cabinet I know who to call :lol ;)

44. Monster Dave

Monster Dave Sr Member

They need to build the surrounding display to look like the inside of Doc's garage.

45. Monster Dave

Monster Dave Sr Member

Absolutely took me back to the way I felt when I first saw BTTF. Outstanding - the quotes, the sounds, the music, and seeing such an iconic piece of movie history reborn just as it was originally was a little slice of heaven to see completed so thoroughly.

Thanks for doing such a great job in capturing all that! (y)thumbsup

46. Probe Droid

Probe Droid Master Member

BTTF Film-used Delorean Complete Restoration

Or so these guys claim. * nice job regardless. Check it out.

[​IMG]

BTTFers chime in on whether this is the true gen.

47. DB537

DB537 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: BTTF Film-used Delorean Complete Restoration

It is. :cool

48. Pobbrett

Pobbrett Well-Known Member

49. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

Looks as beautiful as the day she rolled off the back of Doc's van. :)

50. bttftour

bttftour New Member

Video was fantastic, car looks amazing. Can't wait to see it in person!