Back to the Future 1985 Denim Jacket 2018 Update

MitasTouch

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So earlier of this month HeadGoonie released an article on their website showing that they are in fact updating the denim jacket they previously came out with in 2015. Early pictures and text from the article shows that they are tying very hard to match the colors better than last time. The writer (Not sure if it's Miki Ooyagi) states that back then they settled for the best looking ones because the colors used for the movie apparently aren't available from today's denim. No mention of how close they are to replicating the colors, but I have faith in them that it will at least look a little better.

The writer mentions that he originally wasn't going to make a new jacket but he has been constantly been contacted from people all over the world with input and help so he decided to start the project over some afternoon tea. Also in the article it is said that a new run of the vests will also start. No updates though since it was basically perfect.

I had contacted Miki Ooyagi and he told me that a finished prototype will be shown at the end of the month and we should expect a full release some time in October of this year. And remember, these are very limited runs. If you wish to get your hands on one do it quick before your size runs out. The first jacket was $580 USD so I expect this one to be the same or very close to that price.

IMG_2863.jpg

These fabric samples are likely before any stone washing has been done.
DXn74FFUMAAjzgG-768x768.jpg

Last edited:
I am seeing that it is the combination of blue and black color denim. If it is, it is really creative and cool. But I think the price is a bit high.

It is a bit much for just a jacket, but they are made by hand and limited so the price is higher than most pieces of clothing.

Yeah, I realise that. It still isn't worth the money. It isn't a luxurious custom-fitted garment, it is a hybrid denim jacket with a lining that is probably not truly accurate because it can never be unless you have the same vintage lining. If I were to spend that kind of money I would want it to be identical, with the exception of the smell of Michael J. Fox's cigarettes.

Yeah, I realise that. It still isn't worth the money. It isn't a luxurious custom-fitted garment, it is a hybrid denim jacket with a lining that is probably not truly accurate because it can never be unless you have the same vintage lining. If I were to spend that kind of money I would want it to be identical, with the exception of the smell of Michael J. Fox's cigarettes.

Alright guys this thread isn't for price bashing. It's for awareness for a great upcoming prop release.

BIG UPDATE. About two days ago Headgoonie announced that they will do an even smaller batch of these jackets because the interest from other countries besides Japan are very low. We must show more interest to allow a bigger production.

I have confirmed with Miki Ooyagi that there will be changes to the shape of the jacket and pieces on it as well so it is not just color changes.

Last edited:
A teaser picture came out. I feel like the blue shoulder pieces are the wrong shade of blue. I sent Miki a few pictures showing my modified jacket and comparing it to a movie screenshot and they are pretty similar. Hopefully they take this into consideration.
30728151_10212175129921518_5682835524721573888_o.jpg

A teaser picture came out. I feel like the blue shoulder pieces are the wrong shade of blue. I sent Miki a few pictures showing my modified jacket and comparing it to a movie screenshot and they are pretty similar. Hopefully they take this into consideration.
https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=831f176459dd69eb0e018aa3e1fb8249&oe=5B60E8A7

Hmmm I think you're right about the blue shoulder pieces. A bit less blue (maybe a hair more washed or greener) and a bit more wear. And I think the grey could be a little bluer. I found this pic the other day and I feel like the reverse color scheme of this image is what the screen jacket was (ignore the 1986-spec pockets). Thoughts?
Mcfly JAcket Color scheme.jpg

Hmmm I think you're right about the blue shoulder pieces. A bit less blue (maybe a hair more washed or greener) and a bit more wear. And I think the grey could be a little bluer. I found this pic the other day and I feel like the reverse color scheme of this image is what the screen jacket was (ignore the 1986-spec pockets). Thoughts?
View attachment 810205

Yes. I think those colors match much better. If you have Miki Ooyagi on Facebook you should message him that picture.

I messaged Miki that the first teaser image jacket had better colored shoulder pieces. Not sure why they changed it. Hope this gets changed.

@MitasTouch they look perfect to me...
These are not the same colors...The main parts of the jacket are a slight blue. They have have used a totally grey denim and a very saturated blue for the shoulder pieces.
ee17443dd16662874a8ef1c9a097c496.png

30716350_10212175129961519_9218802092867584000_n.jpg

This is my custom jacket using the one HeadGoonie made in 2015. I got some more matching denim fabric for the shoulder pieces and took it to a tailor.
13873076_10207302897478752_4422804377472256228_n.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back