Bachmann Spectrum 4-4-0 To Walt Disney's Lilly Belle

vaderdarth

Master Member
This thread is my attempt to create Walt's all time favorite locomotive the Lilly Belle (named after his late wife). Here is a photo of the actual Lilly Belle in 1:8 scale. Walt rode this live steamer around his considerable backyard.

4797473.jpg

I started with a Bachmann Spectrum 1:20.3 (G scale) 4-4-0.

3549_l.jpg

This is a photo showing it all disassembled

explodedview.jpg

This shows the reshaping and repainting of the basecoat for the fuel/water tender

tender.jpg

photo11.jpg

This is the addition of the stripes to the tender:

photo-30.jpg

This is the repaint of the cab

photo3.jpg

This is repaint of the steam chests

photo4.jpg

Shortening/ reshaping of the running boards, and cylinder heads

photo-28.jpg

This shows the repainted smokebox front, and the new headlight/brackets

photo9.jpg

This is the reshaping and repaint of the pilot (cow catcher)

photo5.jpg

This is the result of all those items together on the frame

photo8.jpg

This is the stripe details painted on the tender

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa307/vaderdentist/photo-30.jpg

Here are the replacement tender wheels (spoked) being painted

photo-32.jpg

Here is the cab with stain/paint inside and out

photo-31.jpg

I've been repolishing all the brass details and here is what it looks like at present sans the green interior of the cab:

photo-26.jpg

Last edited:
Man that looks cool. I love seeing stuff like this. Was a bit worried when half way down I saw some kit sprues sittin on the bench but I'd love to do one of these. i guess its the same in thge states but when we were in disneyland in Hong Kong the full sized train was exactly this but painted blue and named Walt Disney,

Last edited:
Awesome work here! The colors are looking good. :thumbsup

I have an old Aristocraft set that I put together every year that goes around the tree. Haha...it pushes around a little Delorean too. I love this scale.

Cool. Aristocraft makes some nice locos. Thanks for the comments. :) Here's a little more bling!!!

IMG_1436.jpg

This shows the back head and its assorted doodads painted

IMG_1419.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the newest pic of Lilly Belle with the newly painted tender truck side frames and the support below the smokebox. Also added new steam cylinder heads and finally put her back together properly. The only thing left is to make brass crosshead pumps for each side and then the decals which I have to make.

IMG_1443.jpg

IMG_1438.jpg

IMG_1439.jpg

IMG_1446.jpg

Last edited:
Oh and if anyone wonders what this has to do with props....this little locomotive has been around for years.......you probably saw her in her animated form in Toy Story III. :)

Great project! You obviously put a lot of time and heart into this locomotive. I'd love to see more Railroad projects posted here. One of these years, I plan on putting together an HO Scale layout from my dad's leftover trains from before he passed away.

Yeah, these trains are really fun. Here are some pics of my first attempt at decals for the Lilly Belle. They are printed on plain paper just to check the fit of each decal. They fit perfectly.

Dave :)

IMG_1462.jpg

IMG_1456.jpg

Not yet Jason, I'm gonna order the decal paper and attempt to do it myself first. Today i've ben working on the display base. Been cutting ties, laying track and ballast and driving spikes. It's really starting to come together.

Dave :)

Started this yesterday. Those are the same track sections as seen in my outdoor photos. I weathered the rails after removing the plastic ties. Cut balsa wood for the new ties, stained each one individually. used a bit of flat black for each wash until each tie was a different variation....mixed with early american wood stain. Nailed the ties to the wood roadbed, then spiked the rails in place. I used some Bachmann Wheels for my rail guage. Ran out of ballast, so sent the missus to Hobbytown. The display base was a piece of Raw oak I cut to a 30 degree bevel and then sanded using a vibrating hand sander. Minwax early american stain wipe on wipe off........then coat with spray polyurethane. I may do one additional coat to make it glossier.
photo-35.jpg

photo-33.jpg

photo-34.jpg

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back