Baby plant pot Groot

JoeCragg

Hey Guys,

I know I'm about 2 years too late but I'm going to try and create a plant pot Groot.
I've always wanted to make one since the movie came out and I thought, since there has been trailers for a second Guardians of the Galaxy going around, that I might give it a try.

This is my first time seriously sculpting something so it might be a little rough round the edges, and the middle.... and pretty much everywhere else.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated along the way.
Ill post some updates with pictures of the progress as I go.

I'm going to buy some clay on the way home and get started tonight hopefully.

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

Ive been sculpting over the last two evenings, its a lot trickier then I thought it would be. However I think its going well so far :)

I started with the Head first, its moulded around a tin foil ball to keep the weight down as I didn't want it to droop over.
I used some BB pellets for the eyes that I coloured in black using a permanent marker.

I used the same process for the body, and I stuck it down to a piece of 5.5 mm ply would that I roughly cut in to a circle.

Here is the progress so far..
IMG_5533.jpgIMG_5536.jpgIMG_5537.jpgIMG_5538.jpgIMG_5539.jpgIMG_5541.jpgIMG_5542.jpgIMG_5543.jpg

After looking at it earlier, I decided the body was to thin to I've bulked that out a bit now and its looking a lot better.

Ive now run in to an issue, I was going to build the arms the same way I've done the rest of it so using a tin foil or wire frame to keep them in shape but I don't know how to connect them to body in a way that will be strong enough to stop them drooping down or falling off. Any one got any tips or ideas ?

Last edited:
Finally finished!!
I got round the arm attachment issue by drilling a small hole through the body and slotting some wire through it.
its been a fun quick build. I found a spare plant pot in the garden and slotted him in and put a bit of gravel in to hide the base.
These are the pictures of the last few stages and the finished little guy.
Screen Shot 2016-11-01 at 21.54.55.pngScreen Shot 2016-11-01 at 21.55.04.png
Screen Shot 2016-11-01 at 21.54.35.pngScreen Shot 2016-11-01 at 21.54.42.pngScreen Shot 2016-11-01 at 21.54.48.png

Finally finished!!
I got round the arm attachment issue by drilling a small hole through the body and slotting some wire through it.
its been a fun quick build. I found a spare plant pot in the garden and slotted him in and put a bit of gravel in to hide the base.
These are the pictures of the last few stages and the finished little guy.
View attachment 679337View attachment 679338
View attachment 679334View attachment 679335View attachment 679336

Great job on Groot! Awesome movie, second one in 2017 sounds like!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back