Babu Frik - 3D Print

JayAdan

I ran across this Babu Frik file on CG Trader and bought it immediately. It was one of those things that I decided in the moment that I had to do it but then didn't have time right then. I finally got to it.

EYJCtDkXgAEGWup.png

The hole thing was printed on the Anycubic Photon. It appears that the model was created in such a way to accommodate the size of the print bed. Still, it takes some maneuvering to get the pieces to work. Even with that in mind there were a couple of flat spots on his toes created because the tolerances were just a little too tight. Nothing that a little putty couldn't fix.

EYOxcp9XsAAyPQp.jpg

EYTox4zXkAAnbfS.jpg

EYYA4n9XQAAurgW.jpg

The original 3D model is pretty accurate. The one big inaccuracy that I noticed (a little too late to do anything about it) is his lack of nostrils. Babu has them on the sides of the bridge of his nose. In the image that I'm pretty certain was the basis of this model they are invisible (or mostly so if you don't already know they are there). Were I to do this project over I would have added them. I may re-print the head at a later date and make this correction but I'm not sure I want to do the hair again.

EYpjmk2WAAMeJOt.jpg

After printing the thing there's obviously fixing of problems, sanding, assembly and painting to do.

99425505_10157583693032852_9131895594296541184_o.jpg

99418365_10157585287292852_5333862469779587072_o.jpg

IMG_20200524_151308.jpg

IMG_20200526_164609.jpg

The last couple of details I added were the gloss on the eyes which was accomplished using Bondic. Bondic is essentially the same resin that is used in these printer but put into a handy applicator with a tiny UV flashlight for curing. I've been experimenting using it for this purpose and while I like the results they aren't perfect. The eyes here have a watery appearance that works okay for this guy but in general is not ideal.

The other added detail was his hair. Specifically his eyebrows and mustache. I sourced some Tibetan Lamb Hair that's normally used for dolls. The color I fretted about. I chose a champagne shade but I might have been happier with a grey. Still, I think the color I chose was fine.

babu2.jpg

babu.jpg

Great paint job! Love the hair! Now you just need him to crawl around inside your PC and fix things.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back