AW Studios 350 ROM BOP Build and Re..

Just uploaded the video of electronics that are in progress for this kit and the TOS Enterprise. I'll update the respective threads when all of the fader circuits are finished. Will update the Refit thread with those electronics as well.

The nacelle effect that I'm going to be using for this model is the very first part of this video.

~PI45C5 - YouTube

Last edited:
It's a great kit and a fun build of one of my favorite ships. I love mine!!! :)

Yes it is and I can't wait to get it done. Still puzzling over exactly what graphics I'm going to make up for it. I've something interesting in mind to make it POP! Well, beside the electronics that is.

Got more done on this last night and will have more to show later.
Washed all of the parts in a light detergent to get rib of any mold release, used a fine grade, half round, rasp file to straighten and clean up the lines where the parts had been cut with a pair of fisker's, cleaned up the clear parts and cast the domes in silicone to make water clear domes. Still haven't decided whether to make them frosted, or clear....???? Prepaing to strengthen the interior add some detail, opaque and drill out the windows.

I ended up thickening up the hull with some thick styrene and also I made an aluminum armature for mine which worked out great. I am curious as to why you had to cast the domes. Could you explain?

I ended up thickening up the hull with some thick styrene and also I made an aluminum armature for mine which worked out great. I am curious as to why you had to cast the domes. Could you explain?

I added some styrene strips as well and added some binary resin to firm it up and give me a chance to go after it with my sanding block. I want to really pull the detail out of this kit and shape it a bit. I cast the domes just as a personal preference. I spoke to Scott about it and he didn't have a problem with it, so I moved forward. The primary reason is to eliminate reflections and to transmit the light more evenly, directly from the LED's.
I coated the exterior with high gloss black to opaque it for lighting and to thicken the parts up a bit, then went over those same parts with thick primer. I'll probably stiffen the top up as well. I've been looking through references and I want to add my own impulse effect as well.

On mine I frosted the domes but had the LEDs set back a bit and believe it or not used cotton balls between the LEDs and the dome. It turned out looking great. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

This is a great start on the kit. I can't wait to see what you do with it.

Scott

Thanks Scott, here's some more of what I've done yesterday and today.
As usual.... More to come.... LOL! =/\=

I pulled the little "One Off" mold out of clay / playdoh and will be casting the first clear dome today. Sanded on the primary hull a bit to smooth it out, will probably drill the holes for the windows today and hit with some more black and primer... Dug out some disks for the blinkies... Masked the engine exhaust with Elmers glue, the prep for paint... Pulled some multi-strand, color coated, telephone line out of my electronics box and grabbed a brass rod for pylon support.

Too cool, makes me want to haul mine back of the shelf!!

Hey, HotShot, how the hell are you?! Long time no see. Glad you like it, if you like it I must be doing something right. Here are some updates...

I sanded the parts again and hit them with primer, drilled out the windows with a dull drill bit, placed on a firm surface... Covered the parts with black primer, yeah, it was hot and humid at 9:00 am and the paint orange-pealed, but I sanded it againt and hit it with more paint... Drilled the holes for the windows... I had the drill skip on me one time and ended up with an extra hole I need to fill... Oh Well. BTW, you can buy these little emery boards at the dollar store for a buck and they are great for cleaning up surfaces and getting into tight corners... Anyway, I decided to opaque the photon torpedo launcher and drill through, using the diameter of the holes in the shape as a guide. I also decided to come up with an impulse deck and maybe some landing gear.

BTW, if you support me in my projects and you get some squirelly e-mails, or PM's about me, please let me know. I have a stalker that's a real headcase and he talks a lot of smack, so give me a chance to work thing's out within the community without giving this guy any attention. Thanks.:thumbsup

I had several projects that needed attention at the same time, so I mixed up some envirotex and made up some "One-Off" clear parts out of the molds I had made. This stuff is pretty stale, but since these parts are just for me and I don't have a problem cleaning up the flash... Here we go.

I poured some envirotex into the bridge area, knowing that I'm going to have to drill through it. I need to finish cleaning up the other side of the hull first, but when I get to that point I can safely drill through, add some fiber-optic studs, drill one hole, for one light and have that light evenly transported throughout the main assembly (pun intended).

After I've drilled and placed my fiber-optics, I can set them with binary epoxy. Easy Peasy! Doh!

Last edited:
On mine I frosted the domes but had the LEDs set back a bit and believe it or not used cotton balls between the LEDs and the dome. It turned out looking great. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

I never would have thought of cotton balls, that's a brilliant answer to diffuse the lighting. Here's some of what I mean, you'll have to try this for yourself. I'll definatley try to cotton ball thingy.

When I cast the first dome it came out crystal clear and after going through the references I felt that a diffused, or frosted set of domes would look more accurate, thus I took 400 grit sandpaper and lightly sanded both the bottom and the hemisphere of the cast part.

I'm going to be adding some styrene strip to the lower aft section of the primary hull to bring out the detail. Additionally, I'll be building up a dam and back filling with clear for a light-wave-guide.

Looking good Underdog. I can see why you went with the sold clear dome. It definitely disperses the light more. I think the next time I do another build up of this, I will do the impulse engine on the back as well. It gives the bird more character.

Scott

I never would have thought of cotton balls, that's a brilliant answer to diffuse the lighting. Here's some of what I mean, you'll have to try this for yourself. I'll definatley try to cotton ball thingy.

When I cast the first dome it came out crystal clear and after going through the references I felt that a diffused, or frosted set of domes would look more accurate, thus I took 400 grit sandpaper and lightly sanded both the bottom and the hemisphere of the cast part.

I'm going to be adding some styrene strip to the lower aft section of the primary hull to bring out the detail. Additionally, I'll be building up a dam and back filling with clear for a light-wave-guide.

Well the key to it is to set the LEDs back far enough so that the cone of light completely covers the diameter of the opening. Then the cotton just makes one giant glow. It works perfectly but then again yours looks great as well.

Looking good Underdog. I can see why you went with the sold clear dome. It definitely disperses the light more. I think the next time I do another build up of this, I will do the impulse engine on the back as well. It gives the bird more character.

Scott

Thanks Scott. Yeah, I can't wait to get this finished an show off the effects and paint and.... Oh yeah, your model... Doh!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back