AVP Spear scratch built commissioned piece

Predian

Hi all, I recently sold my P2 extending spear on ebay. Amongst the interested buyers giving early offers was a guy who wanted it to complete his AVP Predator suit. I told him if he didn't win the auction I would make him an AVP one to match his costume. Anyway, I've spent spare time in the last two weeks sourcing materials and constructing his spear from scratch. I used two £1 extending feather dusters which I tore the heads off, cut templated blades from a bubblebath container which I glued on either side and melted together. The ends have small funnel pieces fitted and melted to a safe shape. I cut a metal rod to size to take both contracted ends and fitted them in using fabric wadding around the handle for a comfortable grip and covered the body in denim. The denim helps to hold the ends inside and is ideal for painting details on with fabric paints. I used the Sideshow pictures for easy reference for all the rune cavings and handle details, just finished it last night. Here are some pics of both spears:
P2spearshort.jpg

p2spearlong.jpg

avpspearclosedcrop.jpg

avpspearopencrop.jpg

avpspearstandingcrop.jpg

avpspearendcrop.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the comments, I'm glad you all like it. Not sure if I can contact the client anymore though as he kept replying through ebay. If he doesn't get back to me I may be listing this. I should have done progress shots for a tutorial, good idea to plan for in the future, now I've got a half decent camera the pics are worth showing.

Beings that you used feather dusters. Do you do windows?

Nice work. Very well executed.

Cary :lol:

Thanks, I got similar comments from my family when I bought the dusters so I took great joy in culling the ends off. I once considered using automatic umbrellas so the spear ends extend by pressing the handle buttons, I still think it would work but it's the wrong season to find them cheap- perhaps in the autumn!

Thanks, I got similar comments from my family when I bought the dusters so I took great joy in culling the ends off. I once considered using automatic umbrellas so the spear ends extend by pressing the handle buttons, I still think it would work but it's the wrong season to find them cheap- perhaps in the autumn!

Awesome spear! I saw some of those umbrellas in poundland last week if thats any help?
Tried out an umbrella spear myself once but they dont extend that far once you've got rid of the actual umbrella part, though i'm not much of a prop bulider myself so you may have better luck!
Would be really interested in one if you start making them regularly.
Tim
:lol:

Awesome spear! I saw some of those umbrellas in poundland last week if thats any help?
Tried out an umbrella spear myself once but they dont extend that far once you've got rid of the actual umbrella part, though i'm not much of a prop bulider myself so you may have better luck!
Would be really interested in one if you start making them regularly.
Tim
Thanks Tim, I'll have a look next time I'm near a poundland again. The last two I bought needed the other rods to be attached for the spring-loaded piece to lock so once they were stripped down they weren't much good. The buyer has got back in touch now so if he gets it I'll hopefully get some pics of it with him wearing his suit to share here.
If I eventually make more they'll probably get different in design so I don't get bored. Ian

Thanks Tim, I'll have a look next time I'm near a poundland again. The last two I bought needed the other rods to be attached for the spring-loaded piece to lock so once they were stripped down they weren't much good. The buyer has got back in touch now so if he gets it I'll hopefully get some pics of it with him wearing his suit to share here.
If I eventually make more they'll probably get different in design so I don't get bored. Ian

:)
Sounds good! Keep us posted mate

nice spear so how does the blades extend do you just swing the staff and the extend out or is there lever or switch

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back