AVP Fanfilm Trailer At last!

TDJC

Hey everyone!
Here is a link to the trailer of our 1st AVP fanfilm. Shot in the UK with local actors and a severely miniscule budget!
A link to the full movie will follow after the lengthy editing process is complete.
Please let me know what you think of the trailer... either way.
Thanks
Tim bigthumb.gif

Here is the link.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywCFZ6KJmao

you know, you can actually append messages to a thread. We refer to that here as "replying". Rumor has it, you can even "edit" your own posts....

...don't know if that will catch on, though.

you know, you can actually append messages to a thread. We refer to that here as "replying". Rumor has it, you can even "edit" your own posts....

...don't know if that will catch on, though.

I realised that after i'd posted the second topic.
Its been a long week.

You can delete your OWN threds.

Bottom left of the thred you will see " MODERATION OPTIONS " you can delete the misplaced topic there. :)

You can delete your OWN threds.

Bottom left of the thred you will see " MODERATION OPTIONS " you can delete the misplaced topic there. :)

Cheers for that. Job done.
Here is my original message for anyone who didn't read it.

Hey everyone!
Here is a link to the trailer of our 1st AVP fanfilm. Shot in the UK with local actors and a severely miniscule budget!
A link to the full movie will follow after the lengthy editing process is complete.
Please let me know what you think of the trailer... either way.
Thanks
Tim bigthumb.gif

Hey! We've had over 130 hits so far but only a handful of comments!
(Thanks to everyone who has by the way.)
Any comments are eagerly anticipated. Constructive critism is more than welcome.
Thanks
Tim

can i pull out an honest chip and provide some constructive critisicms?....good

i think it needs work...not really sure what was going on for what reason...it felt like i was watching aliens....military goes in aliens attack and preds get in the middle. you shot it very fast and the camera height is at eye level most of the time.
try shooting some different lighting.

if your budget was minimal i say you did good with the suits.

aside from that, i think the fact that you all went out and did something creative with alot of passion is awesome....keep doing something long enough and you will get better

ohh and please in your next round of clean up editing...take out this shot...it scared me.

fan_1.jpg.gif

fan_1.jpg.gif

can i pull out an honest chip and provide some constructive critisicms?....good

i think it needs work...not really sure what was going on for what reason...it felt like i was watching aliens....military goes in aliens attack and preds get in the middle. you shot it very fast and the camera height is at eye level most of the time.
try shooting some different lighting.

if your budget was minimal i say you did good with the suits.

aside from that, i think the fact that you all went out and did something creative with alot of passion is awesome....keep doing something long enough and you will get better

ohh and please in your next round of clean up editing...take out this shot...it scared me.

fan_1.jpg.gif

Thanks for that.
As i said way back when i first joined this site this is to be the first of many and in order to get it up and running i used locally based actors and locally based technicians. We did shoot really fast in a terrible location so a lot of the filming is quite claustrophobic to avoid seeing too much of it. Obviously this is just the trailer so we did cut it deliberately fast and the final film is more of a steady pace, but point taken. I actually had to get this out for a local screening so cut it in about two hours before we finished the main shoot. I hope to get a nicer cut done before the film goes out properly.
The suits were made on a really low budget (especially the alien, so dont expect to see alot of him!) but we're quite pleased with how they look on screen considering.
That's a Predamaker Wolf bio in there btw. Looks great.
Thanks again
Keep em coming.
Tim
As for that shot... this was cut before colour grading and toning down a little. But actors are actors. Be assured that actual take is NOT in the finished film! Apologies to anyone disturbed by it. Dont have nightmares!

fan_1.jpg.gif

I think it shows a lot of guts and comitmment to do what you've done...Some of the framing is quite nice....I know this from experince...Take Kithunters crits for what they are, helpful critique I handed him a pup of a trailer a long time ago and he steered me right.

Locations are what you make of them, I've filmed in some terrible places but you can add shape and form to some mundane places with just a little bit of creative lighting.

The less yous ee of the aline the better...remember the original film, the tension was built up becasue you DIDN'T see much of the creature util the last act.

As Kit says vary your angles, if you have access to more than one camera get them placed and running as this will save having to do the same take over and over. Vary the height and you can get some good approximations of dolly shots by simply using your tripod. http://eugenia.gnomefiles.org/2008/05/02/c...th-your-tripod/ Take a look there that should help...I've done some work on shoots where a good few grand has been spent on expensive dollies and cranes, and the shots didn't look as good as those at the link.

Dictate the pace of your film with the editing, fast, or jump cutting tneds to jar so try and avoid it unless that is the effect you're after....One thing I'd do when you think you've got the film editied to your liking, pass it around to people not involved in the project and see what critique you get there...people closely involved with the project have a clouded sense of judgement and understandably so. A lot of my work I pass to a few select people I can trust 1: to be completely honest, if it sucks then you need to know. 2. That you can trust them not to pass it around on the web. the last thing you need is something you've worked long and hard on being shown in it's rawest form.

As I said kudos for getting up and doing something most only dream of doing.

I think it shows a lot of guts and comitmment to do what you've done...Some of the framing is quite nice....I know this from experince...Take Kithunters crits for what they are, helpful critique I handed him a pup of a trailer a long time ago and he steered me right.

Locations are what you make of them, I've filmed in some terrible places but you can add shape and form to some mundane places with just a little bit of creative lighting.

The less yous ee of the aline the better...remember the original film, the tension was built up becasue you DIDN'T see much of the creature util the last act.

As Kit says vary your angles, if you have access to more than one camera get them placed and running as this will save having to do the same take over and over. Vary the height and you can get some good approximations of dolly shots by simply using your tripod. http://eugenia.gnomefiles.org/2008/05/02/c...th-your-tripod/ Take a look there that should help...I've done some work on shoots where a good few grand has been spent on expensive dollies and cranes, and the shots didn't look as good as those at the link.

Dictate the pace of your film with the editing, fast, or jump cutting tneds to jar so try and avoid it unless that is the effect you're after....One thing I'd do when you think you've got the film editied to your liking, pass it around to people not involved in the project and see what critique you get there...people closely involved with the project have a clouded sense of judgement and understandably so. A lot of my work I pass to a few select people I can trust 1: to be completely honest, if it sucks then you need to know. 2. That you can trust them not to pass it around on the web. the last thing you need is something you've worked long and hard on being shown in it's rawest form.

As I said kudos for getting up and doing something most only dream of doing.

Hey.
Thanks for that. As i said all comments welcome and as we're still in the editing process everything will be looked at with a fine tooth comb. So no critisms wil be taken personally. I'm a proffesional Actor myself and usually work in creature suits (Unfortunately too short to play a pred in a 'real' film) so you take the rough with the smooth!
We did try to do the best with the location and there are varied angles in the final movie eg: Most shots of the Preds are at a slightly lower angle to give the impression of height and the Alien is shot very close with low lighting etc. (Not all of these made it into the trailer obviously)
I think our major failing is with time though. We only had the main location for 3 hours a week (Including set up) so some scenes were finished that should have had more time spent on them. There's a point when you have to just let it go i guess.
Its great to hear you like some of the framing! We really are flying blind alot of the time! I've learned alot on set and some of the crew have worked proffesionaly but we tend to shoot what we want to see and what will cut together better. And what we can get done in the limited time we have!
I'll certainly get a few independant opinions before we release it to the masses so if you'd be interested PM me with a contact and i'd love to hear what you think.
That goes for Kithunter too!
Thanks again guys.
Tim :)

Pre production is key...One thing I've learnt a long the way is that if you have a location, sometimes rejiggin the script to match teh environ works a lot better especially when you have limited time. I found that out th hard way shooting a short for the National Space centre...We had 2hours to set the place up and shoot, and for something as short as a five minute short film...hat's not a lot of time. But we pulled it off by tweaking the script around.

Pre production is also key because...you as an actor should know how vital rehearsals are and storyboarding to getting the idea across to yourself as ana ctor. I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but sometimes little things like that get missed in the excitment to actually shooting something.

Pre production is key...One thing I've learnt a long the way is that if you have a location, sometimes rejiggin the script to match teh environ works a lot better especially when you have limited time. I found that out th hard way shooting a short for the National Space centre...We had 2hours to set the place up and shoot, and for something as short as a five minute short film...hat's not a lot of time. But we pulled it off by tweaking the script around.

Pre production is also key because...you as an actor should know how vital rehearsals are and storyboarding to getting the idea across to yourself as ana ctor. I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but sometimes little things like that get missed in the excitment to actually shooting something.

Totally agree with that! We had no time for Pre prod and i guess that shows through.
I work with this group alot getting comedy shorts and the occasional half hour drama together for local screenings but we just kind of migrated into this more adventurous project without really worrying too much about rehearsal time. I'm quite demanding on my actors so they're used to shooting fast and changing as we go but this was a labour of love for me and i probably should have given them more time before we got on with it.
The script was written for the people and locations we had, but due to time restrictions on the day we just couldn't light it as well as we should or get everyone on the same page at the same time.
After gathering all the comments and opinions i've had together i've decided to cut another trailer asap showing a little more of the creatures and less of the not so exiting human element without giving away too much plot or using any 'money shots' of our monsters! One critic said they watch an AVP movie for the title characters not their prey so i'll get on with that and get back to you!
Thanks again everyone
Tim :)

You want to up the ante, stick in a couple of fx shots with it... the signature thing for the pred is the thermal vision, and you don't need to see your local fire brigade to see if you can borrow there's

Sequence01b.gif

If you have after effects or at least access to it, it can do a very close approxiamtion of it. Sticking something like that in will get people's interest straight the way...the hook is al important.

Sequence01b.gif

You want to up the ante, stick in a couple of fx shots with it... the signature thing for the pred is the thermal vision, and you don't need to see your local fire brigade to see if you can borrow there's

Sequence01b.gif

If you have after effects or at least access to it, it can do a very close approxiamtion of it. Sticking something like that in will get people's interest straight the way...the hook is al important.

Yeah we have heat vision, a very basic invisible effect and a Pred/alien scrap at the end but we foolishly thought to keep those bits for the finished product!
This will be remedied with a new 'Creature' trailer i'm in the process of cutting!
Thanks again
Tim

Sequence01b.gif

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back