Avengers Loki Helmet Build Finished!

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by jackieisrockin, May 10, 2012.

1. jackieisrockin

jackieisrockin Well-Known Member

Hey everyone! I've been on this site for a while and i finally decided to do something that i've always wanted to do. Being that this is my first time sculpting something at this scale, im finding it pretty hard :unsure but i think im starting to get the hang of it. I started sculpting it about a month ago and i finally feel that its coming together :). I have been going completely off of reference pictures and with no good pictures of the back or sides, its been pretty difficult but after seeing the movie and paying close attention, i think i got it! I am open to any criticism and/or help from any one. Enjoy!

sculpting has started
    View attachment 94072

View attachment 94073

View attachment 94074

its coming along :thumbsup
    View attachment 94075

cut out the holes for the horns
    View attachment 94076

details!
    View attachment 94077

View attachment 94078

started the back
    View attachment 94079

and started the horns
    View attachment 94080

Thats all i have done for now. Im pretty sure its almost done and then its on to the horns and attatching them :confused so we'll see how that all goes.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  2. duke nukem

duke nukem Active Member

Re: Avengers Loki Helmet Build

Sweet! I wanted to make one of these after seeing the Avengers. Just a cool helmet.

3. NexusFX

NexusFX Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

looks pretty good so far. I really wouldn't short yourself on the time to make everything even and smooth. You cant get better if you don't challenge yourself..

4. jackieisrockin

Thank you guys! Ive been really focusing on smoothing it all out (its a HUGE pain! Thats what takes up most of my time!). Does anyone have any tips on how to get the clay smoother faster and/or better???

5. tk3105

tk3105 New Member

Nice work Reindeer Games :)

I'm currently sculpting an Iron Man helmet and smoothing was a major pain in the *$$. However, I found a little round steel bar that came from a set of paper in/out trays and it works beautifully. Just roll it over the surface and you have instant smoooooth!

I have since found different size/weight bars which also work wonders.

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  6. Yarko

Yarko Well-Known Member

Applying universal solvent with a brush helps to smooth a clay piece. Also, for helmets like this, sometimes I apply several coats of white glue and when it's dry I sand it down untill it's smooth enough.

Cool helmet! The detailing is awesome, although I feel it should stretch backwards a little bit more.

Looking forward to seeing how you make the horns, that's the trickiest part of this thing

7. Hyperballistik

Hyperballistik Member

Pretty cool helmet, im sure you can get the smoothing figured out at least your making it with clay, I haven't even attempted to build anything out of clay yet, hope to see more progress soon

8. jackieisrockin

Yes yes i bought a child sized rolling pin and ive been using that to smooth things out but now that ive got some detail in, its too big to fit pretty much anywhere to use for smoothing! But i will try your advice thank you :)

As for everyone else, thank you very much for all of your input. I kinda took the weekend off i got kinda busy but ill start again today so more pictures up soon. Once im done with this main part, ill start the horns. However i cant decide to make them out of foam, or sculpt them from scratch. Foam would be easier but the shapes in the back are kind of weird so it would make me using custom templates a bit harder.

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  9. jackieisrockin

Hey everyone. Taking a break from sculpting to post some more pics up. I think im pretty much almost done and should be ready to mold soon :D

All that im doing now is smoothing smoothing smoothing and its super difficult. Im done with about 90% of the detail all thats left to do is smooth the sides out, put in the remaining details (lines, holes, etc.) and then ready for silicone!

Unfortunately, i ran into a little problem. I noticed the back of the helmet was not symmetrical :confused
    View attachment 94986

The little line in the red circle is the center so i had to cut out the right side a bit and move it over a bit and...
    View attachment 94987
    it worked! :)

Got most of the smoothing down and some detail on this side but the other side is still in need of major smoothing
    View attachment 94988

Thats it for now! Time to get back to sculpting!

10. jackieisrockin

Hey guys i just wanted so ask this real quick.

I was thinking of attatching the horns like this
    View attachment 96387

The visible horn (red) will slide into the hole (white) i had already cut into the sculpt of the main part (yellow) and the bottom of the horns will have edges sticking out (orange) to hold the horn perfectly in place. After the horn is in i was going to superglue AND fiberglass the bottom of it into the inside of the helmet so it for sure it will not go anywhere.

So my question is, does this sound like a good idea to anyone else???

11. jackieisrockin

Hey everyone! I finished about 95% of the left side of the helmet. All i have left is about the other side, and a little of the back and then DONE!

Heres what i did last night

View attachment 98055

View attachment 98056

12. catkraze

catkraze New Member

looks amazing!
    good job. :)

13. VermilionBtrfly

VermilionBtrfly New Member

What kind of clay did you use? I am planning on making Lady Loki's "helmet."

14. jackieisrockin

I use the cheap low quality clay from michael's :unsure because all the good professional clay is online and i didnt want to wait to start sculpting :)

Its very soft and sometimes hard to work with but it gets the job done :D

Pic:
    [​IMG]

15. VermilionBtrfly

VermilionBtrfly New Member

(This might be a stupid question!!!)
    Does it air dry?

Also, I forgot to mention how amazing your helmet is looking!!! I love it. :love

16. jackieisrockin

:) Not a stupid question no it does not air dry or oven bake at all. And thank you! I finished sculpting it today and its got silicone aaaall over it :) pictures tomorrow

17. jedimika

jedimika Member

Looks great so far!

18. jackieisrockin

Hey guys!

Well. After two LOOOOOONG months of sculpting, i have finished Loki's helmet!!!

I finished last night and started the molding process last night as well. I put the first layer of silicone on (Oomoo 25 from smooth-on) to get all the details in and, to save some Oomoo for the horns, i put a different kind of silicone (store bought silver silicone caulk from lowes) on top of that to make the mold alot thicker to prevent tearing and increase strength. I've only put one layer of each onto the sculpt but plan to put 3 more layers of the silver on top and then the hard shell mold on top of that (im going out of town for 2 weeks but i will finish when i get back).

Pictures of finished sculpt! (sorry for the bad pics. Camera didnt work and had to use my old phone :()
    View attachment 98490 View attachment 98491
    View attachment 98492 View attachment 98493
    View attachment 98494 View attachment 98495
    View attachment 98496 View attachment 98497

Molding!
    View attachment 98482 View attachment 98483
    View attachment 98484 View attachment 98485
    View attachment 98486 View attachment 98487
    View attachment 98488

Heres the silver silicone i used:
    View attachment 98489

Im happy how it came out, and im hoping my mould turns out good as this is my first time molding :eek so when i get back, i should be ready to make my first pull from the mold and see how it turned out :).

That should be t for now! Now i should have a little more time for 3D modeling :)!

19. Zaxmon

Zaxmon Well-Known Member

Why OOMOO instead of Rebound?

20. jackieisrockin

Well on smooth-on it says that rebound "will not work with modeling clays containing sulfur under any circumstances." and i wasnt sure if my clay contained sulfur or not for the wrapping didnt say and i just did not want to chance it. And it was also just a bit cheaper :)

21. phantomknight

phantomknight New Member

Wow. I love how your clay mold came out. It looks great! You said you used some pictures and then just kind of winged it. That is what I had to do too.
    I can't wait to see how it comes out. good luck!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  22. jackieisrockin

Thanks! It took me forever :wacko

23. Jaina

Jaina Member

This is pretty awesome looking. You have some serious clay-molding skills and I'll be back to get a sneak peek at the final product.

Well done! Thumbs up to YOU! :D

24. jackieisrockin

Thanks! Im exited to finish it :)

25. jackieisrockin

Hey everyone! Im finally about to finish my mold of the Loki helmet so im almost done!
    I started to put on the "mohawk" on the top for the mold to open when i cut it. It just needs one more coat of silver on the "mohawk" and another on the whole thing just to make sure it nice and thick and then i can put the hard shell on the outside :)

Pics!
    View attachment 100823 View attachment 100824
    View attachment 100825 View attachment 100826

Thats it for now. Cant work on it for another 2 weeks :cry but ill survive :(

Quick question for anyone: what is better for the hard outside shell mold? Plaster or fiberglass?

26. Yarko

Yarko Well-Known Member

Definitely fiberglass. I hate plaster for moulds, it breaks easily, weights a lot and sometimes they get all covered in fungus if kept in a dark place o.o

If the smell of polyester is a problem for you, try looking for "jesmonite", a water based kind of resin that you can use with fiberglass too. It isnt as strong as polyester but can be used safely indoords.

27. jackieisrockin

Exactly what i was thinking :) i was only considering plaster because it seems like an easier and faster process but ill stick with the fiberglass :)

28. jackieisrockin

Hey everyone!

FINALLY an update! I started the fiberglass mold part by making the separating wall out of cardboard. I was going to start fiberglassing today, but the rain disagreed :( so perhaps another day.

Here's a picture! More to come in a day or two :)
    View attachment 105297

29. jackieisrockin

Everyone! I need major advice!

I tried to put the fiberglass shell onto the silicone and while it was drying, the whole thing just fell right off!:cry :cry

So i have no idea what to do! I was thinking, so gravity doesnt make it slip off again (unless im doing something wrong), i could lay the mold on its side and apply the fiberglass one side at a time.

The problem with that is, the whole thing is very heavy. Since its a glass head and with all the clay and silicone, it weighs around 15-20 pounds. My concern is, with all of that weight pressing down on one side while it lies down as the fiberglass dries, would it in some way warp or damage that side of the mold while it lies down on that side for a few hours? If it would, then what do i do???

Anyone's help would be great i just need to know what im doing wrong and also what i need to do right to finally finish this helmet!
    Thanks! :)

30. usajdm

usajdm Well-Known Member

Do a coat of just resin first.............

31. jackieisrockin

Oh my goodness i feel very :facepalm :facepalm

Well i tried it and so far its helping so thank you very much :)