Avengers Loki - 9/11 FULL ARMOR COMPLETE!

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by SITHcamaro, Apr 3, 2012.

1. SITHcamaro

SITHcamaro Well-Known Member

9/11 Update

I'll just bypass most of the talk, since most of you want to see results. Note that I still need to finish the base for the long staff. Just glad that I got everything else finished in time for Dragoncon.
    Plus I've still got some jumpy shoulder plates, but my first wearing was literally my test run at having everything on all at once.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And because Bryan takes such lovely images, I may as well add these shots of the costumes as you are already well familiar with. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One of my most time consuming projects to date is nearly about to come to a close. Well, sort of.
    After only 1 month of solid work on Loki's full armor from Thor, it was a walk in the park in comparison. I am guessing this one took about twice as long, not from difficulty, but from prep work on all of the pieces. The sculpting and casting of armored parts were simple, the but casting and prepping of over 200 small rectangular plates, hand etching leather and thiny metal pieces were the real time killers.
    Now that I am mere days away from finishing his base/battle look, I can share with you all of the hard work!

I've just a few more pieces to do & it should be finished by the weekend. Then I play the waiting game. I need good reference pictures for the spear as well as his helmet and cape/shoulders before I can do the full armored look. I hoped to have that ready for the movie opening, but probably won't be able to happen until after then.

Forgot to add that I had resculpted the belt armor going down the chest. Once I had the actual clothing itself completed, I started noticing that the one I originally made was a bit narrow. I feel it's quite perfect now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5/1 UPDATE

Thus begins the new helmet sculpt!
    [​IMG]

5/8 UPDATE

As more viewings have been taken in, and tiny bits of new reference have come in, I have also finally began my scepter. The idea will be a 2 part piece where the stubby base can be removed to swap in the longer base for the full king costume.
    Haven't done much else with the helmet, but will do a little more here & there as I've gotten a little more reference for that just today. Figure I would get more out of a scepter to go with my current outfit, rather than rush for the helmet when I haven't even got the upper arms & shoulders ready for the king look.
    [​IMG]

7/11 UPDATE

The helmet is more or less complete. The horns are still partial bondo monsters, but they still need additional recurving. So it will be back to some more bondo before they finally make their way into silicone. I'm happy I finally have something in hand though, after the sculpting and the month away from this part of the project.
    Now once this has been ironed out, I can finally tackle the remaining armor and cape!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  2. Jathoris

Jathoris Well-Known Member

Re: Massive Loki Avengers costume build

It's about time you got back on here and posted with this! Fantastic work!:thumbsup

3. EHyde

EHyde Member

Very nice! I am about to start building this for my husband--would you mind if I asked a few questions about how you built yours?

4. UnofficialVoice

UnofficialVoice New Member

THAT is good stuff!

5. SITHcamaro

Thanks guys.
    EHyde, I'll help with where I can.

6. ROBOSTEVE 0671

ROBOSTEVE 0671 Sr Member

Some epic skills you have there man, great work!

7. SITHcamaro

I finally have added sleeves. Lots of crazy overlapping going on. While making the leather portions, I felt like I was working on a Vader bodysuit.

[​IMG]

All of the green lining is what is taking the longest on this project, which souldn't even be an issue. When I dyed the fabric it not only shrank, but it also got way too thick. So being that it was a 2 ply wool, I started unstitching the layers apart. Suffice to say that it's taking me about 3-4 days just to get the final panels finished for the front of my robe.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  8. Jathoris

could I trouble you to possible snap a nother pic of the tricept area (black leather).. I'm totally lost around there with the different angles. Top Notch work, as always!

9. SITHcamaro

You mean from the front, or the elbow view?

10. Satxer

Satxer Sr Member

Wow, that IS impressive.

And just like that...I am not thrilled with my build.

11. SITHcamaro

Thanks Satxer. :) I'm just glad that there is so much to go by at the moment, so I can get all of this done properly the first time around. Although I do want to re-do the shoulder armor. Now that I have the rest of the outfit completed, I have a better idea of how it should be sized. Fortunately that will only add a day or two in changes.

I now have both sleeves and all the funky trims added to it. Still working the lining on the front panels. It's been about 4 days or hand killing unstitching, but I'm certain that I will have large enough pieces tonight to start adding those final 2 pieces to the robe!
    [​IMG]
    Also, here is the full back picture that was requested.

12. Jathoris

Ah, you're awesome! Thank you. That's massive help :thumbsup

edit-I wasn't quite sure if he had that sort of dark gray material on the upper inner portion of the arm that's connected to the back of elbow section. I swear I saw some of that on the inner parts of the legs too. Then again, could be the limited angles from the few set shots we have and I could be completely mistaken. I know the pants have some crazy stitching detail too. Part of my love/hate appeal with this costume.. love all the crazy details.. but they're enough to drive you a little crazy.

You're almost finished! :0) Can't wait to see it completed.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  13. Satxer

Satxer Sr Member

Where did you find that material with the triangles? I keep hitting dead ends, and I may just try something that "looks decent".

14. SITHcamaro

That material, that's the leather I had to hand etch. I originally cast the stuff in rubber, then I took it a step further and went to leather. However the guy with the laser engraver couldn't figure how to burn it to the leather without it shriveling up. So rather than wait longer, I took matters into my own hands and did it section by section. Over and over.
    Pleased to say that I am not finished with tearing up wool linings! I am on the final piece, the boots.

15. SITHcamaro

Speaking of boots, I normally re-work shoes & add shafts to them and alter the toe area. This time around I am planning to make the entire boot from the ground up.
    I started a sculpt for the sole a while ago, but haven't had an opportunity to get back to it. Initially I will just have my Maul motorcycle boots on, with the shaft area covered by his funky spats. Eventually I will get back to these soles when I've more time. When finished, the treads underneath will read "SITHCAMARO". The idea being that if I leave footprints, you'll be able to read it on the ground. :lol

[​IMG]

16. TK-2126_MD

TK-2126_MD Well-Known Member

:eek hey!!! that looks awesome!!! i think u look better then the actor! :thumbsup you should have been Loki....... actually i think a Female Loki would have been better..... YES :lol

17. SITHcamaro

Here is tonight's update. This is the first time I've worn all of my parts together!
    Just a couple more things to add & it's done.
    [​IMG]

18. troopermatthew

troopermatthew Well-Known Member

Nice :)

19. stanleysterling

stanleysterling New Member

Very nice. I've started one and am enjoying the process. I am particularly impressed with the detail work on your paldrons and vambraces.

20. NelBearPig

NelBearPig Member

That's insane. I love it.

21. Rdmaul

Rdmaul Well-Known Member

Awesome work man....question are you wearing Frank Thomas' boots in this pic?

22. CardBoard King

CardBoard King Active Member

amazing work my friend

23. SITHcamaro

Yep, those are the Thomas Titans. Just something to hold me over until I get around to something different.

Speaking of boots, they are all finished now. I am only waiting on my wig to arrive!

[​IMG]

24. EHyde

EHyde Member

Ooh, nice picture! I still need to figure out what we're doing about a wig ... probably I'm going to try altering one myself.

25. DarthBatman

DarthBatman Member

This looks awesome! How much was the total cost?

26. CapKaos

CapKaos Well-Known Member

This build is simply AMAZING!!!

27. SITHcamaro

That's a good question, one I could probably never put a finger on. $300 alone was wasted trying to develop a part of this in rubber, only to find the design wasn't perfect, then switched to finding a means of etching it into leather.

But aside from the material costs, there is the issue of cost in time. The armored plates up the leg alone were insane. Especially due to the fact that I was only casting from a mold of 6 at a time.

28. itsaplane

itsaplane Member

Fantastic, amazing build!

29. itsaplane

itsaplane Member

Fantastic, amazing build!

30. Satxer

Satxer Sr Member

Ha, wig...I am growing my hair out just to do this costume! Now, if I can just get the outer tunic done! I spent another 4 hours on it and still didn't finish it! Maybe I should start my thread soon...if I finish that out tunic!

Lookin good there SC.

31. EHyde

EHyde Member

Unfortunately my husband is of the early balding type, so that won't work :-( Though it does mean that with a wig, we should be able to get the correct hairline.

32. Buddha

Buddha New Member

Really nice, man.
    Would you mind posting a couple more pictures of your shoe sculpt? I really liked it and just wanted to see the whole design.

33. Buddha

Buddha New Member

Really nice, man.
    Would you mind posting a couple more pictures of your shoe sculpt? I really liked it and just wanted to see the whole design.

34. SITHcamaro

I actually don't have very many pictures of it. I've not touched them since I began the rough sculpt, and probably won't get around to doing so for a bit.
    Right now all I want to do is begin the new helmet and the weapon. It's too bad I can use the helmet & armor from the previous movie, but then again these new updates look a bit more aggressive to me.

[​IMG]

35. SITHcamaro

Added a couple of new shots to the first post.

36. fletch1

fletch1 New Member

amazing mate!

37. peterparker

peterparker Active Member

Really incredible Loki costume!

38. SITHcamaro

I actually got a really cool shot yesterday. :) I was just on the opposite side of the road by accident.
    [​IMG]

39. SITHcamaro

Re: Avengers Loki costume - Helmet begins 5/1

Well now that I have a better idea of what is going on on all sides of the helmet, I started sculpting the new one tonight.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  40. BlackKaos

BlackKaos Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very nice suit!

41. SITHcamaro

Thanks! My cape fabric is on it's way as well, so once I am finished with this helmet I will probably start sculpting up the last of the armor.
    And that spear...... mmmmm

42. SITHcamaro

Got a little more work in, before last nights movie opening.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  43. DarthFett

DarthFett Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Amazing work Toby! Very impressive!

44. SITHcamaro

So in non helmet news, I did finally receive my lace front wig, but there was a goof that made it a little too tight to fit. So rather than short hair it, I did what they did for the film. I dyed my hair raven black & got a rather elaborate clip in extension for the back.

I think that it worked so well, that I will continue to do it this way!
    [​IMG]

45. littledragon88

littledragon88 Active Member

Awesome costume!..and you look like Tom Hiddleston as well!!

46. SITHcamaro

Re: Avengers Loki costume - Helmet & scepter begins!

Scepter build has started! Pic update in first post.

47. Re: Avengers Loki costume - Helmet & scepter begins!

that, my friend, is awesome! haha good work

48. oracle1982

oracle1982 Active Member

Not a big Loki fan but man youuuu did goood! :)

49. MadSparrow869

MadSparrow869 New Member

are you going to do the loki costume when he was in a suit? like that rather nice looking scarf or his "pimp cane" version of the staff?

50. SITHcamaro

Hmm, I dunno about the suit & scarf look. I did a quick try of that look, but I already do the whole suit & tie look with Tony Stark.
    Plus when I'm in a suit & clean shaven people say I look like Christian Bale. So I think if I did it, aside from the pimp cane, some might think Bruce Wayne. :lol