Avengers Black Widow - Pics & Upgrade Plans!

Re: Avengers Black Widow

Finally got my fabric. verdict? meh. the mesh/perforations are too big - it's very much like basketball jersey fabric, only spandex. i'll be hunting down their phone number and calling them tomorrow to ***** at them about not responding to questions via their contact form and asking about either getting a refund (including the exorbitant shipping) and/or getting GOOD fabric since they won't/wouldn't send me any information about swatches or their other meshes.
aw man that sucks :/ hope you get your stuff, im allways for this kinds of builds

Sorry for the Hiatus, but I have pics of Black Widow! Saw the premiere thursday night/friday morn, and have decided that she gets a do-over. so many little things i'm not quite happy with, and also, i want to make my wristy cuffs light up, dammit. ;)

pics below (let me know if they can't be seen)

468568_10150779415618754_831058753_9619522_1231994797_o.jpg

533479_10150779415133754_831058753_9619520_1022498234_n.jpg

537866_10150765094134496_753039495_9405352_1528771171_n.jpg

550206_10102026427405170_13901025_77315965_1186818159_n.jpg

to (re)do list:
bodysuit - tighter fabric, actually get good perforated stuff. improve craftsmanship on the bound seams. also, i noticed in the film that the collar and back are ONE PEICE. gorram designers. why must you do weird things like that and make it difficult!?
boots - better black
patches - use 1 layer of foam (instead of two) and use paint to get the relief look)
wristy cuffs - THEY NEED TO LIGHT UP.
widow belt - carve new insignia and use fabric for the belt instead of webbing
gun belt - thicker? the weight of holsters pulls down on it a bit. might have to upgrade... :/

ohhh yes. shawarma that is. couldn't resist.... and it happened to be right next door to the comic shop we hit up for free comic book day. have a pic of my BF in his thor costume, too.

What are you using for all of those pieces of "accent piping" around the suit? (for lack of a better word)

In the hi-res pics I have, they seem to be upside-down zippers, but was curious what you've chosen, because it looks great!

Before you start thinking this is for me, Im doing research for my girlfriend...Yeah, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :lol

-Nick

they're actually "bound seams" - i just used a slightly different fabric and added the stripes. i referenced a tutorial written by a woman who made a replica of the new Star Trek uniforms. Laughing Magpie's Trek Costumes First time doing them and they turned out /mostly/ OK. i need to figure out a better technique for doing the back of the shoulders where there's an inside corner.

In the hi-res pics I have, they seem to be upside-down zippers, but was curious what you've chosen, because it looks great!

also, i think the 'zipper' look is because they used a ribbed fabric. for the bound seams. i'll be hopefully upgrading to a similarly textured fabric for my next suit - the fabric i used was far too thin, but provided enough contrast for the most part (in person, anyway)

also, i think the 'zipper' look is because they used a ribbed fabric. for the bound seams. i'll be hopefully upgrading to a similarly textured fabric for my next suit - the fabric i used was far too thin, but provided enough contrast for the most part (in person, anyway)

That makes sense, the part that's throwing me off is the seam itself, between the two sides, it just looks like there's something there...

Screenshot2012-05-09at22135AM.png

But that may just be how the ribbing on one side lays on the ribbing of the other side, creating that effect.

Thanks!

-Nick

yeah, hard to tell exactly what's going on there.... they may have used some specific trim they had about, almost like a ribbon. i wouldn't worry about that detail, though. ;)

Looks good. One thing, when you pose for pics you may I suggest you take your fingers off of the triggers of your guns and put them straight against the outside of the trigger guards. I realize that you're only using airsofts and they're probably unloaded too but it's always best to just do so anyway and it looks more professional too. If you look at footage and pics of ScarJo as BW she has her fingers off of the trigger most of the time unless she's actually shooting or just about to shoot.

Looks good. One thing, when you pose for pics you may I suggest you take your fingers off of the triggers of your guns and put them straight against the outside of the trigger guards. I realize that you're only using airsofts and they're probably unloaded too but it's always best to just do so anyway and it looks more professional too. If you look at footage and pics of ScarJo as BW she has her fingers off of the trigger most of the time unless she's actually shooting or just about to shoot.

Hey, thanks for the tip! i've come to realize it's actually a little awkward to pose with both guns and make it look "realistic." and yes, they're unloaded airsofts. :p

I,m looking into doing a Black Widow costume for my daughter. Does anyone have any idea what gloves are used as I just cant seem to find any like them around.

any progress on this?
mrs.slave1pilot is having a hard time with the jumpsuit because we decided to do this costume waaay too late and don't have time to have an accurate one made.

I will be re-doing the belt buckle sunday, likely. I'll post a pic and if people are interested, I can put them up in the junkyard.

ooo, excited to see progress. I'd like to see the belt, that and her gauntlets are the more "eye-catching" parts of her costume in my opinion.

ooo, excited to see progress. I'd like to see the belt, that and her gauntlets are the more "eye-catching" parts of her costume in my opinion.

Agreed. Planning on working on light-up gauntlets later this summer. For now, the only part of the belt i will be selling is the insignia - whoever purchases it will have to figure out how to attach it to their belt, unless they want to use my cheater-way of just hot glue to a velcro'd piece of webbing. I'll also plan to work on improving that later this summer, but not before denver comic con in less than 2 weeks and not likely before SDCC. :/ so much to do!!! Doesn't help that i just moved and was unable to work on things at all this past week-ish.

Will be starting suit 2.0 today. Been talking with several on here concerning the fabric for widow. Here's my solution to the problem: spandex mesh from the ny fashion center Nylon Spandex Sheer Stretch Mesh Fabric | NY Fashion Center Fabrics and thick black spandex from joanns (matte side out). This layering solution would work for other shield outfits too, in the dark blue.

These pics show the mesh, both sides of the spandex, then the layering of the two.

Flash:
CIMG1570.jpg

No Flash:
CIMG1571.jpg

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back