Howlrunner

Sr Member
So I've finally gotten back around to working on painting up my (human-scale) lifesize Neytiri bust and I'm starting to think about accessories.

I want a choker for her, but given it's simplicity, I refuse to pay the price for the Noble Collection one (plus I really don't like the stones they've used).

So, after a bit of Google-fu, I figures out how to braid/knot the hemp for the main band. Prototype in rough jute, just to see if I DID have it right:

JuteProto.jpg

The bottom piece was my first attempt (and is what most Avatar fans have made online). The top piece, try 2, however is far more screen-accurate and matches what they've done for the official prop replica.

Now, while I crack on with further prototypes, but before the FINAL piece, what I'd like opinions on is this:

Is the main band made from hemp, waxed linen thread, or leather thonging?

ChokerRef.jpg

OK, after a bit more experimenting, I've answered my own question...

ChokerProto2.jpg

Original jute prototype at top.
String proto 2nd from top.
Leather thonging 3rd from top.
Waxed linen at bottom.

The jute is obviously too large and rough.
The waxen linenhas a nice natural look to it, but is obviously too small.
The leather has a nice sheen, but it looks too segmented.
The string is the closest so far (though obviously the wrong colour here).

Actual 1mm jewellery hemp will be the next test (which I probably should have started with...).

Aye, 'tis obviously a CGI beastie, but I want to try to get as close to "real world" as possible.

'Tis obviously possible, as the official choker looks right:

NN8878.jpg

AND there was a real world choker prop created for the movie:

Avatar%2Bmovie%2Bprops%2BNeytiris%2Bwristband.jpg

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back