Automatically Extending Bat from Back To The Future, Part 2

potentprintable

I designed and built Griff's automatically extending bat from Back to the Future, Part II. The majority of the bat is 3D printed, but what powers the bat is a gas spring (like in office chairs or hatchback/trunks).

Here are some views of the bat:
Extended, Horiz II.JPG
Comp, Horiz with Ruler.JPG

Link to a gif of the bat extending automatically:
https://media.giphy.com/media/8FPphcKgIadMLM7PYh/giphy.gif

And lastly I did a video that has more info on the inner workings of the bat and tests how strong it is by smashing some stuff:
https://youtu.be/XSL0NKiR8AQ

I'd love to hear people's thoughts. Also, if anyone has better ways to paint/stencil onto a curved surface I'd love to learn some better ways of doing that.

Maybe decals instead of stencils?
I wondered about that but wasn't sure how well they would hold up.

- - - Updated - - -

Extends really nicely, the dimensions and details are way off though. Great first prototype though
Thanks. I didn't go crazy about the dimensions matching because I wanted to see if everything would work. Those dimensions can definitely be adjusted, as well as improving the handle and the text on the bat.

I wondered about that but wasn't sure how well they would hold up.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks. I didn't go crazy about the dimensions matching because I wanted to see if everything would work. Those dimensions can definitely be adjusted, as well as improving the handle and the text on the bat.

If it's just being displayed or carrying it for costume, either way decals should hold up fine.

Some motorcycle guys will clear coat decals. You can search for tutorials on that.

A third way could be like a automotive vinyl wrap. Get the words printed on a clear piece of vinyl and apply it.

If it's just being displayed or carrying it for costume, either way decals should hold up fine.

Some motorcycle guys will clear coat decals. You can search for tutorials on that.

A third way could be like a automotive vinyl wrap. Get the words printed on a clear piece of vinyl and apply it.
Ok, thanks. I'll look into those.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back