Auto-body painting Darth Vader Helmet

I had mine done for free. All I had to do was go spend a half hour with the managers son while I was in costume.

Not only did he do my helmet, he alo gave me free automotive paint and has clear coated two sets of Vader armor for me at no charge.

Originally posted by animetronic@Apr 18 2006, 02:40 AM
My painter can do it for $200.  He has owned an auto painting shop for 20+ years.  You wouldn't want the two tone paint scheme though?
[snapback]1228235[/snapback]​

I paid $200 For 2-tone.

Originally posted by creamedgeezer@Apr 18 2006, 04:27 PM
How do you approach an auto body shop to do this? Do you just show up with your helmet and ask?
[snapback]1228622[/snapback]​

That's what I did.

Worked out well for me (see earlier post).

Nope, not looking for two tone, RotS color -all black.
FREE. hmmm.... what are the odds I'd be able to find another auto-body guy w/ a kid that loves star wars?

Originally posted by darthgordon@Apr 18 2006, 08:38 PM
Nope, not looking for two tone, RotS color -all black.
FREE. hmmm.... what are the odds I'd be able to find another auto-body guy w/ a kid that loves star wars?
[snapback]1228729[/snapback]​

You never know..... Star Wars is huge with kids right now and lots of people have kids so you never know... :D

I had my CA Vader, CA Tie Fighter Pilot and Royal Guard helmets all painted at the body shop when the car was in for repairs. He painted all three helmets, added a flex agent and a high gloss clear coat all for $50, although I had to pay him a $500 deductable for the car repair. No two-tone paint job on the vader helmet though. I'm taking 2 more helmets to him to paint next week.

Make sure you have them add a flex agent to the paint so it doesn't chip off. :)

Notice my question asking him if he would prefer a two tone. It would actually cost me the same for all black OR two tone. Thats why I asked him why he would go all black.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(animetronic @ Apr 20 2006, 02:28 PM) [snapback]1229849[/snapback]</div>
Notice my question asking him if he would prefer a two tone. It would actually cost me the same for all black OR two tone. Thats why I asked him why he would go all black.
[/b]

All black just doesn't work for me, Ill always prefer the two tone.

I agree completely. I've never even asked a painter to do an all-black version before. I wouldnt know if there was a cost difference. I dont really see the point in it. That doesnt remind me of Vader for the last 30 years. It reminds me of Vader for the last year. Thats not Vader to me.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(animetronic @ Apr 21 2006, 02:08 AM) [snapback]1230330[/snapback]</div>
I agree completely. I've never even asked a painter to do an all-black version before. I wouldnt know if there was a cost difference. I dont really see the point in it. That doesnt remind me of Vader for the last 30 years. It reminds me of Vader for the last year. Thats not Vader to me.
[/b]

well my costume is RotS for a definate reason. My size is much closer to that of Hayden than David Prowse (yeah, the little kid version). If I were 6'6" and 240 lbs. I'm sure I'd do OT.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back