Australian suppliers for prop making, sculpting ect

Welmanshire

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey, I have noticed that there aren't a hell of a lot of places that supply the more specific components of prop making, sculpting and modeling at an affordable price in Australia. I mean, we have Spotlight and Bunnings ect, but they don't really carry things like plastic resin, foam latex and such. The only real places I have found online apart from ebay seem to be really expensive (plus shipping) compared to America and The UK. I was wondering where all you other guys in Australia get this kind of thing from? And maybe compile some kind of shoppers guide?

Cheers

Oh, my bad. I used the search function, but it didn't come up... I'm based in Tasmania, so I have to pay even more to get my orders over Bass Straight :(

Mulfords Plastics (branches in each state): sheet acrylic, styrene, other plastics
Barnes (NSW): resins
Kirkside Products (WA): resins, silicones
Fibreglass and Resin Sales (WA): resins, silicones, glass mat

This is a common complaint but I suspect that the apparent lack is an artefact of people applying a hobbyist mentality instead of thinking like an industry person would. Grab a copy of the Yellow Pages and look for industrial suppliers for fibreglass or plastics under all their various names, then look up their websites and see what else they carry. Or call signwriters in your area and ask where they source their urethane foam sheets and styrene from.

Don't expect to pay US prices though, this is Australia after all, so double everything. It's OK though: mining has made you rich, so you can afford it. :unsure

resins and casting silicons , you can get here in Melbourne, dont think silicon is cheap anywhere in the world!!
Styrene sheets or HIPS can also be found here, i am sure they would ship to you .
I can get you phone numbers if you need them
mars

Oh the Adelaide outfit are reputedly good. They tour the various model shows sometimes. I've talked with them, but haven't ordered from them as yet.

As for mining, just a bit of black humour there. We're ALL richer from mining - Twiggy and Gina say so, so it must be true!

Nwerke As for mining said:
Ohhh didn't you get your check in the mail. LOL

PS:I got my casting/moulding starter kit from the Adelaide guys, very helpful and great products. I am still crap at casting, but At least I am using quality stuff. So it's quality crap.

Ozzy

I might have to buy up big from the Adelaide guys when my cheque comes through. I'm sure they just smudged the address...
But seriously it's good to get feedback on these suppliers. As I say, I live in Tas so I have to do most of my buying online and it's nice to be able to buy with some confidence!

I had been buying all my resin from dascar plastics at about $130 for 2 gal (aprox 7.5litres) delivered. They would even tint it black for me at no extra so i dont have to stuff around with pigments. I rang every place i could in Australia and nothing came close. Would love to buy from down here but for what i do its not worth it.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back