Aussie Dalek Build Now Complete

Re: Aussie Dalek Sec-Build

Work on the dome lights have been completed in the very much the same way as Dalek Caan
We are now heading into a ealy winter and we have had rain for over 4 days straight with flooding in some parts. :confused
I didn’t take any photo’s as I will use the same photo’s used in the Dalek Caan’s build, as I made them the same way.

The bottom cage ring was turned down on the lathe as well as the top ring.
And glued together with pva wood glue, and undercoated in etch primer before
I gave them a final coat of aluminum colour with a acrylic clear coat as a final finish.

And used M5 x 25 lg socket head screws with locking nuts to hold them on the dome.

attachment.php

Last edited:

Due to my overly busy life style at present I have not been paying much, if not any attention at all to the Sec Dalek build, But I did manage to cnc out the one piece oil seal that the hemi attach to, and this design will allow me to mount the hemi and seal to the skirt without the need for complicated bonding.

The cnc’d one piece seal was made from 12mm MDF used a program called Vcarvepro to do the G codes, once I had finished cncing the one piece seal I then sanded them and sealed them with a PVA water mix and gave them a final sanding in the lathe ready for paining.

attachment.php

The slats on the NSD are somewhat a pain to make and to fit as well, once again I used the cnc to do most of the work for me, using Inventor 10 I first did a 3D model of the long slat and saved the 3D model as an stl file, then imported it into cut3D and from there I worked out the tool paths and then saved the tool paths as a G code for the cnc router.

It still took about an hr to do one slat from start to finish, so as there are 13 of them it’s going to take some time to make, but 80% of it is completed by cnc. They would make an excellent pattern if you were going to cast them.

attachment.php

attachment.php

This is a truly brilliant project, and very ambitious.

I have kind of a silly question. I always assumed that in the episode that they built an "open" dalek. I assumed that most of the time we see a standard dalek prop and that for the big reveal the unfolding was CGI. Then the open prop was placed for the rest of the scenes.

The reason I bring this up is that making this prop work like it appears to in the episode is truly a mind boggling project. I can't wait to see it work!!!

Yeah it sure is, and that’s what I like about a challenge, however Dave Duca has such a Dalek from Project Dalek, outstand guy with an outstanding Dalek, Dave is an Electro-Mechanical engineer, I just intend on going one step further, by having mine remotely open. :confused

attachment.php

HOLY CRAP.

That is amazing! An yours is going to be remote control!?!?!

Please tell me you're going to put a little booger in there so that when you open it you see all the tentacles & stuff!

Tonight on "Pimp My Dalek..." Wow!

TooManyCars designed a remote activator for 1996 Tardis Console when they rebuilt it. You might want to talk to him about how to get your Dalek to open remotely.

Tonight on "Pimp My Dalek..." Wow!

TooManyCars designed a remote activator for 1996 Tardis Console when they rebuilt it. You might want to talk to him about how to get your Dalek to open remotely.

Got that under controll, have a look at Dalek Cann.

As Armageddon is fast approaching, I had to fast track the final build of Dalek Sec. :)

Most of my free time has been spent on getting him ready for Armageddon on the 13th and 14th of October, so I could take two Daleks with me this year instead of one.

I didn’t have enough time to make the plunger so I made a Vault Dalek claw that was seen on the Daleks guarding Daveros, in (parting of the ways) have also decided to make the plunger interchangeable with other Dalek devises.

The slats and the hemi seals were all made using the CNC router, and for the first time I get to see what a Dalek would see through the eye stalk as I installed a camera in the eye and installed an LCD screen inside the Dalek so now I can see through the eye of a Dalek.

For now Dalek Sec is powered by Flintstone technology and when I can find a suitable wheelchair, will do and upgrade, but for now Dalek Sec is foot powered.

attachment.php

attachment.php

for the first time I get to see what a Dalek would see through the eye stalk as I installed a camera in the eye and installed an LCD screen inside the Dalek so now I can see through the eye of a Dalek.

I'd been wondering if anyone had ever done that. Sounds cool! Does this mean you can't see out through the neck mesh?

Hi, id really appreciate it if you could help me i am really in need of it. I am trying to start a Dalek project of my own, but i don't know what i need or how much it will overall cost. What did you use and how much did you put into this over all?

Hi their Dalek lover, Dalek sec has a new owner now and to answer you question Project Dalek, at this web site you will get all the info on how to build
a Dalek as well as PDF plans of your Dr Who Dalek.

The cost to build a Dalek really depends on how you go about building your Dalek and what you what it to do, for an example Dalek Sec finished build cost was bout $2300Aus other than the video camera installed in the eye Dalek Sec was a very standard run of the mill Dalek.

The build materials used was fiberglass and MDF board, I can get you 85% of the parts to build a Dalek, the hard to make parts for an NSD.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back