Aussie Dalek Build Now Complete

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Rassilon, Nov 3, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Rassilon

Rassilon Well-Known Member

I have had another vision lovers of all things Dalek, and it all came to me in a dream. As I was in the passenger seat of the Dalek van on the way home from the Armageddon expo in Melbourne and having a much-deserved aussie beer
    and reflecting on the 2 days of Daleking. Just after my 6th beer and falling a sleep it came to me. Visions of all things past, present, and future. A vision that only the creator Davros could have had if he was drinking an Australian beer.

I shall build a Dalek like no other or maybe one other. (Dave Duca Dalek Sec)
    A Dalek that will have the D.O.S (Dalek Opening System) like Dalek Caan and shall open in a way that,,,,,that ,,,,,, but at this point I was woken up and the vision was lost.

I believe that the vision will re-appear at some point but only time can tell. Thinking of how Dalek Caan’s D.O.S (Dalek Opening System) was such a big hit and just blown them away, you can see it on here under “Dalek Caan’s opening” I thought to my self.

I would have to come up with something big for next year, so big that, I would by Dalek building standards become a Davros.
    Well it’s nice to dream costs nothing and hurts no one, any how have started a new Dalek build to take to Armageddon in 2012.

Have completed the ray gun for this I used the CNC lathe to make the aluminium parts and for the barrel used chrome 1” steel tube with a wall thickness of .9 cut 500mm long, will be making (2) ray guns, as I will be building (2) Daleks with another Dalek builder from Project Dalek he is doing the fibreglass work and I am doing the mechanical mechanism that will drive the D.O.S (Dalek Opening System) for the skirt and shoulders.

Once I have bent the 5mm chrome bars, cut to 270mm long and bent on a 45 deg’s angle each end. I used the lathe the hold it all in place until the 2 part resin glue go’s off, once this has dried I then removed it from the jig (lathe) and placed it in the stand awaiting for the installation into the Dalek

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
    Garthok likes this.
  2. TylerFG

TylerFG New Member

Re: Aussi Dalek Sec-Build

Looks good so far!

3. greatwazoo42

greatwazoo42 Sr Member

Have you considered the Heavy Weapons Dalek?

4. Rassilon

A Weapons Dalek, no not at this stage as you will see why later on in this build, have my hands full with some mechanical designs in this Dalek build.
    The Dalek will incorporate the (Advanced Dalek Opening System) or A.D.O.S for short. More on that later.

Spent the weekend working on the neck section of Dalek Sec, made from 18mm MDF and cut out using a Bosh router, the Dalek will be painted in gloss black with all the metalwork in chrome, to give the Dalek the bling look.

The (8) 20 x 12 pine supports are cut 260 long this will move the dome closer to the top neck ring, giving the Dalek a more of a robust look.

Next will be to install the neck blocks once they have been casted from the mould that my other Dalek build buddy is building, he is doing all the fibreglass work, to cut my work load and time down somewhat.

On the bottom neck ring I have made a 12 x 3mm ledge for the heronrib matting to sit on and also give it a better finish.

Have been a bit slow in doing an update here on the Dalek Sec build, :sleep but have managed to install the haronrib matting.
    Also the lazy Susan bearing showed up some time back and have sat it on the top of the neck to show were it will eventually go.
    Next will be to install the neck blocks, once I have made them from a cast.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  5. Rassilon

Re: Aussie Dalek Sec-Build

It’s been a tuff build, as getting the hinging mechanism in alignment with each other is hard work, been at it a week now.

Have installed electric actuators to do the work, so, have posted some photo’s of the hinging system on the skirt, but, I am still working on the installation at present, and have some very big issues to over come.

As the front skirt panels swing out and down, so this is impacting on the fender still working on how to over coming that issue, as well as have to fiberglass the pivot mounting pads on the skirt front panels and the support at the back of the skirt.

Having an opening system such as this, has some engineering issues to over come as well as trade off’s such as the front panels can not foul on any part of the fender or shoulders, so you have to have gaps in the joints and must move freely without interference as the electrical actuators can move 150lbs I don’t need them to move that much, but that’s how the come.

6. phez

phez Sr Member

Please tell me you have been working on that for more than 5 days or I am going to feel like a complete slacker :lol:lol:lol. Awesome looking work!!! That gun is amazing.

7. Garthok

Garthok Sr Member

You would probably find it easier to build if you had some amazing skills...oh wait... :eek Incredible work!

8. Rassilon

No, I haven’t been working on the dalek for only a week, it’s been the skirt front panels, getting them aligned right, that’s were the week has been spent, and still not happy with them, my Bosh sander is in for repairs, so the skirt is on hold till I get the Bosh sander back. :angry

@Garthok did you go to the Armaggedon expo, I was there in my gold Dalek.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  9. TazVader

TazVader Sr Member

That is a beautiful build. Looking forward to seeing the results.

BTW Is there an Aussie Dalek builders club or something? Love to talk to some folk in the know about an old school build:)

Best
    TAZ

10. Rassilon

No, not that I know of, there's Project Dalek that I'm a member off.

11. greatwazoo42

greatwazoo42 Sr Member

Looks like their is now and you two are the founding members. Meetings are going to be a bit rough to organize condiering the size of Oz but you guys will manage.

12. Anakin Starkiller

Anakin Starkiller Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very excited to see how this build develops. Looks amazing so far!!

13. Muzza

Muzza Well-Known Member

Cool Build

14. staticweb23

staticweb23 Active Member

Very nice, can't wait ti see the final product. :)

15. Rassilon

Thanks guys, been a bit slow on this build been having some issues with the skirt panels, but I finally managed to find time to do some more work on Dalek Sec, have installed the diamond mesh on the inside, used
    5g x 20 long counter sunk wood screws with a cup washer to stop the 5g screws going though the diamond mesh.

Next I install the neck blocks that I had casted some time back, I gave them a coat of Matt black before I glued them on. I just used PVA wood glue for that job.

The dome got a sanding along with the cowl and a quick base coat of gray etch primer, next will be to make the light cage that go on the dome that will house the moflash lens covers.

Now for you Dalek lovers out there Moflash has given the lenses a Dalek Part number
    p/n MO50022DW just for you Dalek lovers that love to build Daleks.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  16. Rassilon

Well fellow Dalek lovers, another day has past and found some more time to do work on Dalek Sec, having made a start on installing the eye assembly.

Started with the eye disc by gluing two (2) 18mm thick by 100mm diameter MDF boards together, once they were dry I then used the lathe to machine the eye disc to the required size.

[​IMG]

To give the eye a smooth motion will also install two (2) bearings on each side of the eye disc, bearing size 12 x 8 x 6, by using a boring bar to machine the required bearing shoulder into the centre of the eye disc.

[​IMG]

Once I had cut the flat on one side of the eye disc using a drop saw, I then placed it in the mill to drill the 25mm hole needed to mount the eye stalk tube. And also to install the 13mm hole all the way through to allow for electrical wires to pass through as I will be installing a camera into the eye itself.

[​IMG]

Next was to machine the 12mm slot to allow for the electrical actuator shaft to connect to the eye disc, I used a 6mm slot drill for this task, as the actuator has a 6mm shaft and it will give me 3mm clearance on both sides.

[​IMG]

And here is the completed eye stalk and eye disc assembly with all the machining work completed. The small slots on the outer circumference were cut using two (2) hacksaw blades clamped together.

[​IMG]

I Used 25mm chrome plated tube for the outer tube and 19.05mm Aluminium as the inner support tube so the electrical wires can pass through without interference with the stalk tube disc, the
    six (6) disc were made using a jig former that I had made to make Dalek Caan’s eye stalk assembly some time back.

[​IMG]

Next was to start the eye assembly itself, and using a jig I made for holding the 100mm diameter globes that are used on the ray gun and plunger.

Using a step drill to drill the 22mm hole, in the end so I can use an electrical fitting to join the eye and the eye stalk shaft together, this will also allow me to remove the eye from the eye stalk when I need to.

Looks like it's spinning at 20,000 rpm but it's only doing 850 rpm.

[​IMG]

Dalek Sec it going to have a camera lens installed into the eye and the photo is of the completed camera assembly, the housing is machined from 6061-T6 aluminium.

[​IMG]

The silver one, is the outer housing, and the blue one, is the one that the acual camera mounts in to and is the inner camera mount the lens was made from a pair of safety glasses I got from work, cut down to size.

[​IMG]

And here is the finished eye & stalk assembly, at a later date I will change the L.E.D's from white to blue, giving the Dalek that blue eye.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  17. greatwazoo42

greatwazoo42 Sr Member

Wow. Toys and talent make some pretty cool results.

18. Rassilon

Thanks mr wazoo, I dont know about talent, l think
    persistence has alot to do with it.
    I do admire the ones that have a go at building there props without the toys I have. Without the lathe and the mill, it would be very much harder I think.

19. ashden

ashden New Member

Beautiful work, as usual!

20. Rassilon

Oh thanks ashden, I do try and do some work on him every night after work, just to keep the build going as I need him to be finished by September, as I’m looking to take Dalek Sec to Armageddon in October to meet up with some other Daleks that will be there as well.

It is a massive Expo, there was over 17,000 showed up last year, and I’m looking and working to get there this year, to catch up with some other members from Project Dalek. And to “EX..TER…MIN…ATE” all and any humans.

21. Rassilon

Work on the dome lights have been completed in the very much the same way as Dalek Caan
    We are now heading into a ealy winter and we have had rain for over 4 days straight with flooding in some parts. :confused
    I didn’t take any photo’s as I will use the same photo’s used in the Dalek Caan’s build, as I made them the same way.

The bottom cage ring was turned down on the lathe as well as the top ring.
    And glued together with pva wood glue, and undercoated in etch primer before
    I gave them a final coat of aluminum colour with a acrylic clear coat as a final finish.

And used M5 x 25 lg socket head screws with locking nuts to hold them on the dome.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  22. Rassilon

Due to my overly busy life style at present I have not been paying much, if not any attention at all to the Sec Dalek build, But I did manage to cnc out the one piece oil seal that the hemi attach to, and this design will allow me to mount the hemi and seal to the skirt without the need for complicated bonding.

The cnc’d one piece seal was made from 12mm MDF used a program called Vcarvepro to do the G codes, once I had finished cncing the one piece seal I then sanded them and sealed them with a PVA water mix and gave them a final sanding in the lathe ready for paining.

[​IMG]

The slats on the NSD are somewhat a pain to make and to fit as well, once again I used the cnc to do most of the work for me, using Inventor 10 I first did a 3D model of the long slat and saved the 3D model as an stl file, then imported it into cut3D and from there I worked out the tool paths and then saved the tool paths as a G code for the cnc router.

It still took about an hr to do one slat from start to finish, so as there are 13 of them it’s going to take some time to make, but 80% of it is completed by cnc. They would make an excellent pattern if you were going to cast them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. 13doctorwho

13doctorwho Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is a truly brilliant project, and very ambitious.

I have kind of a silly question. I always assumed that in the episode that they built an "open" dalek. I assumed that most of the time we see a standard dalek prop and that for the big reveal the unfolding was CGI. Then the open prop was placed for the rest of the scenes.

The reason I bring this up is that making this prop work like it appears to in the episode is truly a mind boggling project. I can't wait to see it work!!!

24. Rassilon

Yeah it sure is, and that’s what I like about a challenge, however Dave Duca has such a Dalek from Project Dalek, outstand guy with an outstanding Dalek, Dave is an Electro-Mechanical engineer, I just intend on going one step further, by having mine remotely open. :confused

[​IMG]

25. Michael Bergeron

Michael Bergeron Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

HOLY CRAP.

That is amazing! An yours is going to be remote control!?!?!

Please tell me you're going to put a little booger in there so that when you open it you see all the tentacles & stuff!

26. greatwazoo42

greatwazoo42 Sr Member

Tonight on "Pimp My Dalek..." Wow!

TooManyCars designed a remote activator for 1996 Tardis Console when they rebuilt it. You might want to talk to him about how to get your Dalek to open remotely.

27. Rassilon

Got that under controll, have a look at Dalek Cann.

28. Rassilon

As Armageddon is fast approaching, I had to fast track the final build of Dalek Sec. :)

Most of my free time has been spent on getting him ready for Armageddon on the 13th and 14th of October, so I could take two Daleks with me this year instead of one.

I didn’t have enough time to make the plunger so I made a Vault Dalek claw that was seen on the Daleks guarding Daveros, in (parting of the ways) have also decided to make the plunger interchangeable with other Dalek devises.

The slats and the hemi seals were all made using the CNC router, and for the first time I get to see what a Dalek would see through the eye stalk as I installed a camera in the eye and installed an LCD screen inside the Dalek so now I can see through the eye of a Dalek.

For now Dalek Sec is powered by Flintstone technology and when I can find a suitable wheelchair, will do and upgrade, but for now Dalek Sec is foot powered.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. greatwazoo42

greatwazoo42 Sr Member

Holy cow is that beautiful. Excellent work!

30. iamdrake

iamdrake Active Member

Pure artwork.

31. Angelus Lupus

Angelus Lupus Sr Member

I'd been wondering if anyone had ever done that. Sounds cool! Does this mean you can't see out through the neck mesh?

32. Bluebox303

Bluebox303 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Such an awesome build!

33. Rassilon

Thanks guys. :)

34. Steven McGrath

Steven McGrath New Member

Hi, id really appreciate it if you could help me i am really in need of it. I am trying to start a Dalek project of my own, but i don't know what i need or how much it will overall cost. What did you use and how much did you put into this over all?

35. Rassilon

Hi their Dalek lover, Dalek sec has a new owner now and to answer you question Project Dalek, at this web site you will get all the info on how to build
    a Dalek as well as PDF plans of your Dr Who Dalek.

The cost to build a Dalek really depends on how you go about building your Dalek and what you what it to do, for an example Dalek Sec finished build cost was bout $2300Aus other than the video camera installed in the eye Dalek Sec was a very standard run of the mill Dalek.

The build materials used was fiberglass and MDF board, I can get you 85% of the parts to build a Dalek, the hard to make parts for an NSD.

36. kdawg1

kdawg1 Sr Member

WOW a Work of art!

37. nathanalaneller

nathanalaneller Well-Known Member

Do you have a youtube video of this travel machine?