Auctionsherpa-Recaster?

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by ReplicaGod, Mar 28, 2012.

1. ReplicaGod

ReplicaGod New Member

Alright, this person on eBay has a nice Judge Dredd pistol. But before I do any business with them after looking at their past feedback, it brings up the possibility that this person is a recaster. So before I buy one, can anyone tell me if it is or not?
    auctionsherpa | eBay

2. Mr_Creepy

Mr_Creepy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The BSG stuff and the Riddick gun look like Matuso's; the pic "on the deck railing" of the Riddick IS a pic Matt has posted.

Jedifyfe might be able to ID the Iron Mag covers.

Could be legit stuff that they're reselling, but... :confused

edit - justed posted the links to this over at Matt's forum

3. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

Better to ask and find out either way before sinking your cash into it.

4. Berserk

Berserk Well-Known Member

The way he talks up his stuff makes me want to stay far far away!!! Apparently he is the only person ever to offer a light up Lawgiver in the history of eBay?!?

Quote "HERO Lawgiver was made by an industry professional and was built to last ! If this was an album it would be called "The Best of Judge Dredd"

Sounds dodgy!!

5. auzorann

auzorann Active Member

i was under the impression that auctionsherpa and matsuo were the same person. both of them use a ton of similar pictures of the same props.

i do know that auctionsherpa and hoist73 is the same person. he's also been known as redneck, porkchopexpress, man toys and a lot of other names. there's a long long history of ripping people off.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  6. weno

weno Member

i spoke with this man myself i am making a full METAL lawgiver and this guy said its made by a pro then i asked who and he said himself.. then i asked more questions seems very shady... i wanted one for more measurements.. and he wasnt very happy about that and i named all of the people who made them and he stopped writing me! i would stay away i had to team with someone else to get proper measurements for my full metal one i am going to be selling

7. Lear60man

Lear60man Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Look at the helmet he is selling, then checkout this For Sale thread on the Aliens Legacy. Same helmet. But hell, he might had bought the helmet and is now reselling it??????

8. who45

who45 Well-Known Member

legacy dude bought a helmet from the ebay seller.......... the buyer of that helmet then sold the helmet on legacy and used the pics the ebay seller has because that was his actual helmet he had bought........ and was at the time selling on legacy. he took new pics when this question was asked and you could see the new pics and ebay used ones were in fact the same helmet the legacy guy had up for grabs.

i thought the ebay was matsuo myself, the ebay seller and legacy seller are not the same person iirc, whomever the ebay seller is he has one set of pics for relistings

9. weno

weno Member

sherpa is NOT matsuo i spoke with him about lawgiver because once again i am makin a new one he told me thats not him i would say its quarlo 98%

10. Mr_Creepy

Mr_Creepy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Last I knew, Matt's eBay username was different, unless he has a couple of accounts.

11. Matsuo

Matsuo Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Guys he's just a reseller, I've sold a lot of guns to him in the past. I also gave him permission to use some of my pix.

Thanks for the vigilence but the pitchforks and torches are best used elsewhere.

M

12. auzorann

auzorann Active Member

i know i'm probably completely unknown around here but i've had many many run-ins with auctionsherpa. i highly suggest that you find another person to buy from.

i rarely post here but i come to the site every day. i would hate to see one of you guys get ripped off by this guy.

13. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

At those prices, I can't imagine he's selling much anyway.

14. Aus Askar

Aus Askar New Member

I sent him some questions about his Halo SMG about 6 or so months back before I joined here. He replied with a barley legible but condescending answer telling me to stop wasting his time, I was already put off by everything else and that sealed my conviction not to deal with him.

15. Davard74

Davard74 Member

16. Nexus6

Nexus6 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: Colonial Marines Smartgun

A lot of the pictures for that seller look to be Matsuo's.

If that IS Matsuo, he's a veteran member here & a creator of MASTERPIECES.

If that's NOT him, he should probably be reported (or at the very least, politely questioned).

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  17. weno

weno Member

Re: Colonial Marines Smartgun

no this guy is not matsuo... matsuo claims that he is allowed to use his images.. i have had problems with this buyer before i would not buy off of him... i believe he is a recaster / scam... there is another thread about this guy search his name on here
    edit*** here is the link http://www.therpf.com/f9/auctionsherpa-recaster-not-143315/

18. mrphunk

mrphunk New Member

auctionsherpa on Ebay, is he PK?

Was wondering if anyone has dealt with this seller, I really like some of his props but didn't want to be buying recasts. Here is his link:

eBay My World - auctionsherpa

19. asemblyrequired

asemblyrequired Well-Known Member

Re: auctionsherpa on Ebay, is he PK?

not sure but that wilson from Castaway is terrible IMHO

-james

20. Serenity

Serenity Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

21. mrphunk

mrphunk New Member

thanks serenity, I think I'm gonna stay away form this one

22. Nexus6

Nexus6 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Well, FWIW, in 2 threads now, hasn't Matsuo sort of vouched for this person? For that to happen, I doubt his stuff would be recasts, & he'd very likely be a trustworthy seller.

23. Jedifyfe

Jedifyfe Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yes, that Rollingstone is mine. So at least I know he recast that.

24. auzorann

auzorann Active Member

he's definitely not a trustworthy seller. i've had tons of run-ins with this guy over the last couple years and he's nothing but trouble. all of his stuff is over priced and hyped up to be something it's not.

25. Bowelrock

Bowelrock Sr Member

Re cast a book huh? How did the original survive the silicone? :lol

26. JOATRASH FX

JOATRASH FX Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Well, then he's gotta be some sort of super-evil genius mastermind, because it's not easy to overhype something that Matsuo has put together! :)

27. Matsuo

Matsuo Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Dude has been buying stuff from me for years now... Far as I know he quite guilty of getting people to pay lots of money for things.

M

28. mrphunk

mrphunk New Member

its more the prices are the reason I am staying away. Being a noob at all this prop stuff it is tempting to try and purchase something fully made and ready to display but I feel a lot of what I have seen done I can do. I just have to be a little more confident :) and when you do it yourself there is much more sentimental value in the piece as well. So my goal is to look for kits to do myself mostly (unless of course the price on something fully assembled is too good to be true. But then again if thats so, it probably is too good to be true)

29. SD Studios

SD Studios Well-Known Member

Ok, rather than wildly speculate, here are the actual facts...

The seller is Dez. He was a member here for years, but he "up and disappeared" when he sold some quantity (ten? twenty?) Lawgiver replicas to members here, but only actually shipped (IIRC) TWO.

From what I understand, he did the classic: "I got a bunch of pre-paid orders, and I spent the money on rent, so now I have no money to make the replicas" move.

The Lawgiver is a heavily-reworked recast of my licensed SD Studios replica from back in 1997. Dez converted it to match the live-fire props, which were different from the stunt and electronic props. He did a superb job, but recasting is recasting, so it was still morally wrong. Dez and I had a long chat about that...

Dez is an amazingly talented model-maker, mold-maker, and casting guy. His judgement however, is questionable at best.

I knew Dez for a few years before I started MR and shortly after, and he was the gentleman who recast all of my pulse rifle parts, so that Monsters In Motion could start selling their own RECAST(!) version. Terry decided that it was getting too expensive to buy them from me and mark them up, so he did a standard practice in business: ELIMINATE THE MIDDLEMAN! :rolleyes

Terry admitted to me that he did it while I was in his store once. And Dez confirmed that fact. They both gave me a few items from the store as a "sorry". (insert hand slap sound here).

Dez calimed that Terry "made him do it" and he never really wanted to recast my stuff. He was just "following orders". He did contact me to warn me that it was happening at MiM, but again...nobody FORCED him to do it, so the "following orders" thing is never really a legitimate excuse.

While I am not happy that it happened, I do see both sides of the story (I didn't have a license to make Pulse rifles at THAT time...I DID later, but that is another story... and he needed a job in a bad economy) so I will not pass moral judgement here. We made up later, but I still do not condone what he did. MIM also recast quite a few other people's replicas for many years, and Dez was the guy who did the labor, under Terry's orders.

Dez bought a number of Matsucorp replicas directly from Matsuo (or from others) and is now reselling them at an enormous markup. Remember, there are 6 billion+ people in the world, and this board is a miniscule component of the entire collecting world, so many collectors (especially newbies) just don't KNOW what things are actually worth or where they came from. (and would probably have no clue what a recast is).

So they see something cool on eBay and buy it.

Dez can ASK whatever he wants. That is his right. What is NOT cool is that he is selling Lawgiver replicas that should have gone to people who paid for them a few years ago, in-full, here.

If he is able to produce them, he should have squared up with the old customers before selling new ones, IMO.

There ya go.

30. Contec

Contec Master Member

Makes him a scumbag in my book.. Stay away

31. SD Studios

SD Studios Well-Known Member

Update...

Matt contactd me and said that the seller might not be Dez.

SO...

All of the info I posted about Dez is completely true, but that seller MIGHT be a different guy.

We are checking...

32. weno

weno Member

who honestly cares? no offense steve but everyone who has delt with this guy including me has had nothin but problems... just stay away if the guy is in question

33. Hirohawa

Hirohawa Sr Member

I asked him a question on his Lawgiver auction if it was a Matsuo/SDS build (Just to make sure it wasn't from to the Quarlo ripoff perpetrated here) and his response was very vague and cryptic. I think if you ask top dollar for an item your response should be better than this:

"its the nicest made period thats all the details you need my friend :)"

Not exactly confidence inspiring.

34. weno

weno Member

THATS EXACTLY WHAT I GOT i went on to explain what i am doing with the lawgiver and he got real pushy and started to say "no one will be able to match what i have here" real arrogant..

35. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

....and that's the best reason to steer clear of this Idiot!

36. auzorann

auzorann Active Member

he doesn't only sell things he gets from matsuo...

anyway, here's an excellent analysis of this guy and his business practices in the past.

eBay’s “puttieface”/”votehillary” – “spadorcia”/”hoist73″

37. Hirohawa

Hirohawa Sr Member

He also says it's a steel airsoft inside which - unless I am mistaken, no airsoft Beretta 92F is made in steel. They are all pot metals or aluminum alloy. Very different than steel.

ANd him being vague about it's origins set off a huge red flag. There would be no reason to hide the SDS/Matsuo origin. Not interested in the Quarlo version because of how things went down here.

38. TechnoCop

TechnoCop New Member

39. auzorann

auzorann Active Member

yeah this guy is a joke.

40. JOATRASH FX

JOATRASH FX Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

41. Vitus

Vitus Active Member

I read this thread first but decided to have a chat with him anyway on ebay and managed to get insulted a few times. You guys are not kidding.

42. Hirohawa

Hirohawa Sr Member

This is what he has under location:

"Item location: The Best The World Has To Offer , United States"

Everything he writes and replies sounds like someone who is off their meds. Also has spotty feedback.

43. Fly4v

Fly4v Sr Member

Sounds like your trying to be the better man but the Nuremberg Defense doesn't hold water.

Even 'improved' products need to reference the original source.
    License or not, Recasting is just another form of theft. It robs the original artist of justly due credit and the profit from their hard work.

The only justifiable exception for recasting is when an item is no longer in production and you, the individual, need multiples of that item you already own and there are no others on the market for sale and none of the recasts are to be sold. If people ask, still have the duty to identify the original artist and say that it was recasted.

I'll stop preaching to the choir. :darnkids

44. weno

weno Member

Omg this is the best Pulse Rifle deal (not really)

So im sure alot of you have seen auctionsherpa on ebay and have tried to contact him and get usless responses and down right rude responses... well this hasnt changed here.. i think $2000 for a gun with resin spas and shrouds and " SCREEN ACCURATE " stock and such.. is junk...
    APPARENTLY HIS IS THE "MOST ACCURATE EVER MADE" SO the SD Studios is JUNK then right? ... im tired of his junk! who is this guy?

lets get the pros to nit pick this gun.. where is guy and steve at?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2012
  45. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: Omg this is the best Pulse Rifle deal (not really)

Well, his "best ever on eBay" comment is a bit over the top but I think it a pretty good rifle. Sure he's asking a bit much but for what he has in it and all the features his asking price isn't out of the park.
    What exactly is your beef with him?

46. weno

weno Member

well i came out and asked him for a bit of information on one of his props because it was clearly someone elses and i asked him is this "jim bobs" work.. can i get a few more pics and what exactly does it do?... so i get a nasty response "if you dont plan on buying it then dont contact me and waste my time.. if you want a answer for your questions buy it and see it yourself." so i was upset and said i wanna no about it before i buy it and i got " im not wasting anymore time with you dont contact me i wont respond" ... so..... :facepalm

47. Too Much Garlic

Too Much Garlic Master Member

Possibly the guy's attitude!?

I think it looks nice. Though, anyone who has to say his is the best that many times do sound like he has a rather insecure disposition with his product regarding competition.

48. weno

weno Member

Everything he sells is the best ....

49. Too Much Garlic

Too Much Garlic Master Member

Yup... definitely an insecure soul.

50. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

His attitude sucks and he's a jerk.
    Agreed, but what does that have to do with his product? Just because the guy is a d-bag certainly doesn't make his stuff "junk". The RPF is FULL of talented d-bags!