atticusser's 2015 Halloween Costume Contest Entry

atticusser

I already started a build thread in the DC forum before I discovered the contest. Here's the link to that with a longer explanation and a few more progress pics:

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=248826&p=3789834#post3789834

I decided to do a Dawn of Justice armored Batman foam build this year after I saw the trailer for the movie. I hesitated a little because I did an Iron Man suit 2 years ago which was a little bit similar, and I don't like to be too repetitive. But I just thought the suit looked too cool to pass up. Plus, it was early enough that there aren't too many builds out there. Unfortunately, that also means it was difficult to find pep files that I was happy with. Luckily I came across AZTLAN (I think by way of IM Nation) who did some great work.

Here are some progress pics:
20151019_083117.jpg20151005_163302.jpg20151002_180132.jpg20150929_065759.jpg20150913_070236.jpg

This is my 3rd attempt at a foam build since I learned about the technique while researching how to build and Iron Man suit, and I think I'm pretty well getting the hang of it. Even though I started later than I would have liked, I used better time management this time around which gave me just enough time to get some of the finishing details done that I was not able to get to with Iron Man. I'm particularly fond of the battle damage I added. I used a soldering iron to create gashes in the armor and highlighted it with silver Rub n' Buff. I think the effect was really nice. Also, after being so meticulous at following a pattern, it was nice to do something a little more free form and artistic.

DSC_0027_1.JPGDSC_0024_1.JPGDSC_0008_1.JPG

You may have noticed that I took the liberty of adding the bat symbol to the chest. I know it's not movie accurate, but I thought it would help the average person to recognize who the character was (you would be surprised how much it still didn't help). Plus, I really wanted it anyway, so I'm glad I did it. I think it looks really cool. Here's a picture that my son took on Halloween night that is now my new desktop wallpaper:

facebook4.jpg

And here's another one from Halloween night with the Bat signal calling:

facebook1.jpg

Here's one from my work party:

IMG_2971.JPG

And here's my proof shot:

DSC_0001_1.JPG

And finally, here are some of my favorite shots, including candidates for the contest gallery. I'm 6'5" which certainly helps add to the overall effect of the costume:

DSC_0005_1.JPGDSC_0030_1.JPGDSC_0032_1.JPG

All in all I really like how it turned out and had a great time showing it off! Happy Halloween everybody!

Edit: So I made some updates to the pictures and now I can't get rid of attached thumbnails. Oh well.

Attachments

• DSC_0008.JPG
    6.1 MB · Views: 127
  • DSC_0024.JPG
    6 MB · Views: 119
  • DSC_0027.JPG
    6.1 MB · Views: 119
  • DSC_0001.JPG
    6.2 MB · Views: 121
  • DSC_0005.JPG
    6.1 MB · Views: 125
  • DSC_0030.JPG
    6 MB · Views: 131
  • DSC_0032.JPG
    6 MB · Views: 108
Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back