Attaching Dreads to a resin Head

detale78

So I finally received my dreads to dread my resin Predator 1 bust. I have dreaded a mask before and used the X method in the dread hole and it worked perfectly. What is the best way to go about attaching the dreads to the resin head so they will be strong and be able to hold the weight of the beads. By the way both the beads and dreads are Bambooie's and the head is fully painted. Any help???

Well when i get around to making my resin P2 busts i am going to try CONTACT ADHESIVE, i do not know if this will work perfectly, but i thought id just throw the idea to you.

******, this is familiar. I was trawling for ideas for the same thing last night and I thought I had posted this message while in a sleepy trance. I too have a resin head and bambooie dreds/beads needing fitted. I've slept on it overnight and I'm thinking of drilling a small hole in the dred contact point of the head, cutting the outer circle of the dred leaving a narrower diameter end to push through the hole. Contact adhesive will also be used. I haven't got the head painted or permanently attached to the body yet so I might look for an alternative. I need to get something sorted soon as any drilling would be better done before the head gets connected. Not sure if you would want to physically alter your cast as I made mine myself and don't care too much. I need a better contact point with the lower dreds as the support contact points aren't as deep as those at the top (*******).

If anyone can think of a better way let me/us know please.

BTW Bambooie's dreds are really the business.

"Stop the Bus". Don't cut the dreds making the diameters smaller. I've tried it on a test piece but the hole was too small and the dred was weakened pushing it through. Either needs a hole that will allow the whole uncut dred through or we're back to sticking again.
I hear the call of the Drawing Board again.

How about a length of stiff wire inserted about 3inches into the dred, then push and bend the wire through a small hole in the resin, would that support the contact adhesive enough?

I just drilled a larger hole (18mm) and that holds the dred perfectly. The previous 12mm was too small. Not overly keen on drilling 18mm holes in my head! Don't have anything between 12 and 18mm.
Bent wire sounds promising. Think possibly 2 wires going in opposite directions might be the answer to both detale78 and our problems. Back to the workshop we go.
Cheers for the ideas Lee. I'm getting real excited now as the smell of paint is beckoning.

No need to drill holes guys at least in my experience.
I own a Howard senft studios P1 and all I used it's somesuperglue that I got from Ice.I will look for the bottle and tell you exactly what it's called.
I glued the dreads and they hel good. I wasnt happy with some of the place ment on some so i had to remove a few and it wasnt hard to do.took a lil bit of effrot but not hard a all.

I tried a test drilling on scrap resin and used a twin twisted pair of wire angled opposite the hang of the dred. Holds it temporarily even without glueing.

If superglue is enough to hold that would be great. Let us know the type so I can try. I've got one bottle but haven't checked which type. Murphys' law says it's the wrong kind.
Cheers.

Being the unpatient ******* I am I started dreading my resin bust and my method has been working well. I first wash the dreads in warm soapy water the let them dry. Next I cut them to the size I want and 3rd use regular Krazy glue on the tip of the cut dread and in the dread hole. I then take a pencil eraser the apply pressure to the area for 30 seconds and done. Even put on the beads and they hold great really strong. Im sure the other methods must work well also.

Good to hear you've managed to get them to grip without too much trouble. I won't be dredding mine until I've finished painting but I still might have to use wire with the lower dreds.
Post some pictures of your bust when you get it finished, I'm sure plenty would want t o see it.

Good to hear you've managed to get them to grip without too much trouble. I won't be dredding mine until I've finished painting but I still might have to use wire with the lower dreds.
Post some pictures of your bust when you get it finished, I'm sure plenty would want t o see it.

For sure, most of you have already seen it. Should be finished soon though.

Any chance of seeing some photos of this, is it finished yet?

thanks

Its very close to being finished...just need to finish painting the Bambooie Dread beads and attach the quills. Hopefully this weekend I can finish it. Painting the beads by hand takes alot of time but I like the effect better than just spraying them with spraypaint or the airbrush.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back