Atomic City D-7 Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveNeill

Sr Member
Well guys here it is. This is a customer build and I'll take you through all the steps. This is a fine model and Studio Scale. I plan to back light the base similar to what I did with the Enterprise B with a bit of plex and some red LEDS.

Here is the video:

Klingon D-7 Part One

Here we go again. ;)

Steve

Steve,
I'm at the point of painting one of these. I was going to do a build thread but I spent so much time in pin hole hell with this kit I forgot to take pics. I'd fill a few pin holes then sand the putty smooth but the sanding would reveal 8 more pin holes,fill those, sand, more are revealed, etc. The front of the nacells were so full of them that I had to use my apoxie sculpt and try to rebuild/ sculpt those areas.

I hope your build goes smoother than mine.

Guys I noticed no pin holes at all. all I'm going to do is wash and primer. If you order one deal with Scott directly and point that out to him so that doesn't happen. Most of the time (as I make kits too) you don't realize they are there until you do some sanding. There o way to no if you're the maker. And with garage kits you will always have bubbles to a greater of lesser degree.

Steve

Flint--

Is it only the nacelles you are having this problem with or is it other parts. I ask because your nacelles were the 2nd or 3rd parts out of a new mold, where I changed how the part was oriented in the mold. I can send you new parts, which should not have this problem. Sometimes repositioning a part in a new mold can backfire!

This offer goes for any of my kits-- if a part is giving you grief, just let me know and I'll send replacements. I don't want anyone having trouble with anything I make!

Scott

Steve,

It's like Christmas around here quite a bit with you. Keep those videos coming.

And Scott, now that is customer service.

Ted.

"Most of the time (as I make kits too) you don't realize they are there until you do some sanding."

That is what happened with my kit. The problem was they kept appering everytime I filled and sanded the ones I saw.
I'm not saying this is normal for Scott's kits, just one mine.

Scott,
There is no need to replace the parts. I appreciate your offer. My latest coat of primer looks like I got them all. The biggest proble I had on the nacells is where you poured the resin. They looked fine but on further inspection I could see there was a very thin skin of resin and just beneth them were masses of air bubbles. I just used a knife and cut away the skin then packed it with epoxy putty and reshaped the area.

Here are a the few pics I took.

I have had one of these in the closet for a few years and it's that one special model that I have really been looking forward to devoting some time to. Looking very much forward to your build Steve and seeing what tricks I can learn from you.

Will

Thanks guys. As for those bubbles I have yet to fine any so far. And Scott thanks for commenting and making such a great offer.

As for pictures i will put some up as I go along but it will most be video as I have to post on about 8 forums a week or daily sometimes, keep up with me two websites and my blog over multitudes of subjects of projects going on at the same time. So bare with me.

Steve

the tooling is very impressive.
steve, i so look forward to your vidoes, you such wonderful work. i always learn something.

curious about the monster your making for the scifi channel :)

I have one of these kits stored away too and I definitely want to see how Steve tackles this one!

Thanks guys but the credit goes to Scott. The man makes a good kit. Plain and simple.

I don't think they know who I am over there? that's sort off the Undiscovered Country for me. LOL

Art moved me over here with the big enterprise because it wasn't studio scale. Busier goes off!!! Wrong! Greg Gein built and 66 inch E for Deep space 9 making it...you guessed it...Studio scale! LOL!

Steve

To paraphrase Kirk, "Second forum on the right and straight on to Steve's work, Mr. Sulu."

They're a nice bunch over there but for me, there's just something about seeing your work here, Steve.

Looking forward to the rest of the videos for this build but especially the one with the window work. That's a really cool idea about using brass rod with the putty to get the shape perfect.

And by the way Steve, you make Mr. Scott look like a slacker.:lol

Ted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back