Atomic City D-7 Build

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by SteveNeill, Mar 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

Well guys here it is. This is a customer build and I'll take you through all the steps. This is a fine model and Studio Scale. I plan to back light the base similar to what I did with the Enterprise B with a bit of plex and some red LEDS.

Here is the video:

Klingon D-7 Part One

Here we go again. ;)

Steve

2. Boba Flint

Boba Flint Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Steve,
    I'm at the point of painting one of these. I was going to do a build thread but I spent so much time in pin hole hell with this kit I forgot to take pics. I'd fill a few pin holes then sand the putty smooth but the sanding would reveal 8 more pin holes,fill those, sand, more are revealed, etc. The front of the nacells were so full of them that I had to use my apoxie sculpt and try to rebuild/ sculpt those areas.

I hope your build goes smoother than mine.

3. trooper

trooper Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

dang! i was going to buy one of these....now....maybe not:unsure

i dont need that kind of grief

4. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

Guys I noticed no pin holes at all. all I'm going to do is wash and primer. If you order one deal with Scott directly and point that out to him so that doesn't happen. Most of the time (as I make kits too) you don't realize they are there until you do some sanding. There o way to no if you're the maker. And with garage kits you will always have bubbles to a greater of lesser degree.

Steve

5. CaptCBoard

CaptCBoard Well-Known Member

Flint--

Is it only the nacelles you are having this problem with or is it other parts. I ask because your nacelles were the 2nd or 3rd parts out of a new mold, where I changed how the part was oriented in the mold. I can send you new parts, which should not have this problem. Sometimes repositioning a part in a new mold can backfire!

This offer goes for any of my kits-- if a part is giving you grief, just let me know and I'll send replacements. I don't want anyone having trouble with anything I make!

Scott

6. mobius303

mobius303 Well-Known Member

Looks like a fun kit. I look forward to seeing it come together.
    Mobius

7. Prefect42

Prefect42 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Steve,

It's like Christmas around here quite a bit with you. Keep those videos coming.

And Scott, now that is customer service.

Ted.

8. trekman1017

trekman1017 Well-Known Member

Could you please post some pictures?

9. Boba Flint

Boba Flint Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

"Most of the time (as I make kits too) you don't realize they are there until you do some sanding."

That is what happened with my kit. The problem was they kept appering everytime I filled and sanded the ones I saw.
    I'm not saying this is normal for Scott's kits, just one mine.

Scott,
    There is no need to replace the parts. I appreciate your offer. My latest coat of primer looks like I got them all. The biggest proble I had on the nacells is where you poured the resin. They looked fine but on further inspection I could see there was a very thin skin of resin and just beneth them were masses of air bubbles. I just used a knife and cut away the skin then packed it with epoxy putty and reshaped the area.

Here are a the few pics I took.

10. feek61

feek61 Sr Member

I have had one of these in the closet for a few years and it's that one special model that I have really been looking forward to devoting some time to. Looking very much forward to your build Steve and seeing what tricks I can learn from you.

Will

11. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

Thanks guys. As for those bubbles I have yet to fine any so far. And Scott thanks for commenting and making such a great offer.

As for pictures i will put some up as I go along but it will most be video as I have to post on about 8 forums a week or daily sometimes, keep up with me two websites and my blog over multitudes of subjects of projects going on at the same time. So bare with me.

Steve

12. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

13. trooper

the tooling is very impressive.
    steve, i so look forward to your vidoes, you such wonderful work. i always learn something.

curious about the monster your making for the scifi channel :)

14. Spheric Thor

Spheric Thor Well-Known Member

Steve,

It is looking great so far and waiting with anticipation to see it lighted and painted.

Chris

15. KUROK

KUROK Well-Known Member

I have one of these kits stored away too and I definitely want to see how Steve tackles this one!

16. feek61

feek61 Sr Member

Looking good Steve!!!

Shouldn't this thread be in the Studio Scale section?

17. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

Thanks guys but the credit goes to Scott. The man makes a good kit. Plain and simple.

I don't think they know who I am over there? that's sort off the Undiscovered Country for me. LOL

Art moved me over here with the big enterprise because it wasn't studio scale. Busier goes off!!! Wrong! Greg Gein built and 66 inch E for Deep space 9 making it...you guessed it...Studio scale! LOL!

Steve

18. trooper

but according to atomic city the D-7 is a studio scale model....or am i missing something ???

19. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

Yes it is and so was my 66 inch Enterprise but I usually always post here. That's it.

steve

20. Prefect42

Prefect42 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

To paraphrase Kirk, "Second forum on the right and straight on to Steve's work, Mr. Sulu."

They're a nice bunch over there but for me, there's just something about seeing your work here, Steve.

Looking forward to the rest of the videos for this build but especially the one with the window work. That's a really cool idea about using brass rod with the putty to get the shape perfect.

And by the way Steve, you make Mr. Scott look like a slacker.:lol

Ted.

21. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

Thanks Ted! you guys should see the Ghost busters pack he built. Looks better than the one's we used in the movie. I know because I worked heavily on the first one. ;)

Steve

22. ZOMBIEREPELLENT

ZOMBIEREPELLENT Sr Member

I sure hope they looked a lot better in the original than they do now days :/

I've built a few myself. Getting ready to mold my third one in a few days!

Build is looking great man. I can't wait to see the finished product!

23. trooper

:lol hahaaaa you got moved to studio scale :lol:lol

looking forward to your next video steve.

24. Aztek Dummy

Aztek Dummy Well-Known Member

Steve,
    Are you going two or three colors on this beauty?
    I've built it both ways and I have to say that the three tone really looks better.

let me know if you need masks for the windows

cheers

25. healvis

healvis Active Member

Steve your doing a great job, but can I ask if it's possible to put the camera on your workbench so it faces you instead of the over the shoulder angle.
    Thanks Steve. As always it's just a suggestion.:)
    John.

26. Engelnicht

Engelnicht Well-Known Member

I am so excited to see this thread! I noticed in the video that you said the electronics will be in the front of the ship. Does that mean you won't be lighting the engines?

27. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

Thanks guys. Studio scale. you mean where the beautiful real model makers are. Oh one we can't have that. Someone might take me seriously! LOL!!

Now get art to move the Big E over here because it was here and he moved it to general when it was all along a studio scale model. Didn't Greg Gein build the same exact size for Deep Space nine?? Well then?

Look back to windows and I'll try to move that camera. ;)

Steve

28. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

They never lighted a thing on this model for TOS. So no i won't be lighting the engines. this model is pure Studio Scale and no previsions were made to light it. Even the hammer head I had to mill out to open windows. The engines are solid resin.

Thanks,

steve

29. Engelnicht

Excellent. I can't wait for the next video. Also, I'd love to see you tackle a Klingon BoP. That is one of my favorite Trek ships, next to the Defiant.

30. trooper

i sent a pm to art...maybe he can see his way into fixing this :)

''you mean where the beautiful real model makers are" im not going to say your beautiful steve, but your work surely is :)

31. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

Ahahah! Just having fun. Yes Greg built it and here it is with the gang!

[​IMG]

32. trooper

I like that space station behind them :eek

33. Engelnicht

That was my favorite TOS episode, and my absolute favorite DS9 episode. Not only for the story, but for Terry Farrell's period correct micromini dress! Yowza!

34. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

35. trooper

i love the window trick, thats awsome :)

36. Spheric Thor

Great job on the windows.

37. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

Thanks Trooper. Thanks Chris!

Steve

38. mobius303

mobius303 Well-Known Member

The windows turned out great .....wow you make it look so easy to do too.
    Thanks for sharing the build Steve.

39. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

Hey thanks!

40. KUROK

KUROK Well-Known Member

Steve would it be easier to just hog out windows oversize and define them later with masking at paint time?

41. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

You could.

steve

42. cedakota

cedakota New Member

I was curious about if I purchased one of these and stored it til I had time to work on it, would it shrink or warp?

43. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

No it shouldn't. It's solid resin no mix of materials and properly cast.

steve

44. Spheric Thor

The kit that Steve is working on is five years old.

45. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

No warps I can find.

46. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

I've built 2 of these kits and both kits were absolutely perfect. I had zero warpage issues.

watching this I wish I had the guts to hog out that bridge and light the windows... while its more "correct" I suppose with the decals it just seems "right" to light that bad boy...

Jedi Dade

47. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

I came up with a better way to do the windows today. Took all day but after you guys see the video tomorrow night you'll never do it any other way.

More tomorrow.

steve

48. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

49. Clerval

Clerval Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I know this can be frustrating stuff, but I do dig the problem solving you throw at not settling for one look or 'good enough'.

Every video I think, 'Man, never going to be enough time or projects to put to use all the coolness I see in action/am learning.'

Thanks for these!

50. SmilingOtter

SmilingOtter Master Member

Nice. And, if I might say so, a bold move replacing the front of the bridge section.

A question: did the clear flexible plastic windows replace the use of the dental acrylic?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.