"Atlas Shrugged 3: Who is John Galt?" Out Next Week!

I haven't read the novel, but heard there were a lot of fans of it. So, I have to ask: did the first two films do well enough for a Part 3 to be done?

Well, not quite sure what you mean by that, but the third part starts showing next week!

I think what he means is financially, were the first two successful? Otherwise the making of the third would be against the theme of the novel. :lol

The answer is no, the first two bombed. Combined they took in about $10,000,000 at the box office which is much less than they were made for.

However, now that the final one is coming out I guess I'll give them a watch. Read the book, found it interesting (not going to get into the politics) and wouldn't mind seeing the screen adaptation.

I think what he means is financially, were the first two successful? Otherwise the making of the third would be against the theme of the novel. :lol
The answer is no, the first two bombed. Combined they took in about $10,000,000 at the box office which is much less than they were made for.
However, now that the final one is coming out I guess I'll give them a watch. Read the book, found it interesting (not going to get into the politics) and wouldn't mind seeing the screen adaptation.

Actually, can you cite anything in the novel that says making something at a loss, when it's your own money you spend, is fundamentally unacceptable?

But yeah, they haven't been financially successful, but the core of the story is there under a shoestring budget. I wish that Angelina Jolie and Pitt had managed to get theirs off the ground, I'd have liked to have seen a big budget movie with some real star power, but I'll take what we've been able to get.

Actually, can you cite anything in the novel that says making something at a loss, when it's your own money you spend, is fundamentally unacceptable?

No, you're right. However by the book's logic it shouldn't be worth doing. At least in my interpretation of the doctrine.

Still, now that they'll all be out I'll give them a watch.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

No, you're right. However by the book's logic it shouldn't be worth doing. At least in my interpretation of the doctrine.

The books logic, and the pledge Dagny will take, is: "I swear by my life, and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."
Nothing in there that you HAVE to make a profit at something. If it's your money you can spend it however you want. The key part is that no one can or should be able to compel you to pay for something you do not wish to pay for. It's already been said, it's more a labor of love, an attempt to put something to film that hasn't been done before.

I really liked the first movie, I watched the second directly after and was pissed they changed actors. it threw me off and then I got lost with the names. I didn't care for some of the acting but I hung in there and finished it. the ending is good and I wont mind watching the third but its deff not a priority.

The books logic, and the pledge Dagny will take, is: "I swear by my life, and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."
Nothing in there that you HAVE to make a profit at something. If it's your money you can spend it however you want. The key part is that no one can or should be able to compel you to pay for something you do not wish to pay for. It's already been said, it's more a labor of love, an attempt to put something to film that hasn't been done before.

Agreed, Kerr! The book gets its meaning twisted so that it is easier to criticize. Being independent and self-reliant doesn't mean you can't have fun and goof around. The dinner party scene clinched it, when the artsy step bro needs money for his latest cause. He loathes Hank, but he needs him, meanwhile Hank doesn't need any of them, he's is the only one truly making the world a better place. ;)

Well, that's not the part of the doctrine I was referring to. Of course one of the themes was that you should be free to do what you wish with your property, both physical and intellectual.

What I was referring to, and is very much a part of the doctrine as well, is that in a free market the worthiness of any given product is judged soley on it's success in said market. Poor and unwanted products fall by the wayside. That's the model system Ayn Rand sets up at the end of the novel.

Ergo, by that logic the first two films did not justify a third.

The fact that it happened anyway speaks to the aforementioned freedom over one's property. :)

Well, that's not the part of the doctrine I was referring to. Of course one of the themes was that you should be free to do what you wish with your property, both physical and intellectual.
What I was referring to, and is very much a part of the doctrine as well, is that in a free market the worthiness of any given product is judged soley on it's success in said market. Poor and unwanted products fall by the wayside. That's the model system Ayn Rand sets up at the end of the novel.
Ergo, by that logic the first two films did not justify a third.
The fact that it happened anyway speaks to the aforementioned freedom over one's property. :)

The key thing is you can't force a person to buy the product. If it doesn't succeed, then yeah, there would not be a profit motive to create additional products in the same vein. But not everything is based on a profit motive, and I don't recall anything in the book that indicated that said only products that are exclusively profitable can be made. The risk is to the investor and those who are willing to take the chance to make something great. Who knows, the third might be more profitable than the first two. It's a long shot, sure, but it's the investor's right to take that chance as they see fit.

The key thing is you can't force a person to buy the product. If it doesn't succeed, then yeah, there would not be a profit motive to create additional products in the same vein. But not everything is based on a profit motive, and I don't recall anything in the book that indicated that said only products that are exclusively profitable can be made. The risk is to the investor and those who are willing to take the chance to make something great. Who knows, the third might be more profitable than the first two. It's a long shot, sure, but it's the investor's right to take that chance as they see fit.

I never said only prducts that are profitable can be made, of course that's not in the book. However the system it supports does say that it's not of value.

Anyhow, on everything but that point we're agreed. :thumbsup

I think this will do a bit better than the others though. People like me who were waiting for all three to be out before seeing them will likely boost sales a little.

Saw it. It was okay. It really felt again like cliff notes of the book, rather than an actual adaption. They tried to reduce film time needed by telling the audience what was happening at numerous points, rather than showing us. That took me out of the film too often. The production value was obviously lower than the second, smaller sets and very little customizing of the locations. It hit most of the important parts, but I really wish we'd get a full bigger budget adaption. A mini series would be best.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back