AT-ST (first model for years!)

shaggy555

Here are some images of my first actual model build since the eighties!

About a quarter way through the paint... (Oh, first time using masking fluid and an airbrush!)
20201120_132836.jpg
20201120_132901.jpg
20201120_132908.jpg
20201120_132952.jpg
20210115_170528.jpg
20210131_224835.jpg
20210131_224843.jpg
20210131_224850.jpg
20210131_224855.jpg
20210131_225025.jpg
20210131_225038.jpg
20210131_225049.jpg
20210131_225129.jpg

Good stuff all around...how did you find the kit? Easy to put together or some fitting issues? As for the first time using masking and an airbrush; you did a good job and I`m sure, it`ll improve over time with practice, of course. When doing the ``wear and tear`` kinda look, I can understand that this AT-ST is hitting some foliage and low branches, but it`s the feet who bear the brunt of the stress. Maybe more crap on those would be better...too clean compared to the rest ;)

Looks great! I just got back into things myself with a Bandai 1/144 RoS Millenium Falcon. It was a lot of fun and I sprung for a cheap airbrush for whatever I decide to build next.

Good stuff all around...how did you find the kit? Easy to put together or some fitting issues? As for the first time using masking and an airbrush; you did a good job and I`m sure, it`ll improve over time with practice, of course. When doing the ``wear and tear`` kinda look, I can understand that this AT-ST is hitting some foliage and low branches, but it`s the feet who bear the brunt of the stress. Maybe more crap on those would be better...too clean compared to the rest ;)
Thank you... the kit went together very well (and got taken apart many times!) could've put it together in an hour...
Fit is amazing no glue required ( although various parts are glued now, with the photoetch modifications).
This is also only the first stage of the weathering, many more hours of streaking and griming on the horizon... I'm going for the worst kept AT-ST in the empire look...

I am also hoping to light the interior a la "The Mandalorian" (glowing red eyes!), and sort out a custom base, along with the Legion scale speeder bikes I just got..!

Hopefully more progress soon

Thanks for looking

thanks, +1 for cheap Chinese airbrushes, mine is great! (although nothing to compare it to...)
I had a Badger 150 when I was heavy into modeling, it's no Iwata, but it was a very nice tool. The last bit I need to hook it to my compressor comes this Thursday, so I can try it out and compare to my recollections.

This is also only the first stage of the weathering, many more hours of streaking and griming on the horizon... I'm going for the worst kept AT-ST in the empire look...
Be very careful if you intend to dirty it up with oil-paint or enamel washes. Enamel thinners and chemicals like turpentine will attack all of those tightly fitting joints. Cracks will form in the plastic and your model will fall to pieces. The AT-ST is particularly susceptible due to all of the tight leg joints.

Be very careful if you intend to dirty it up with oil-paint or enamel washes. Enamel thinners and chemicals like turpentine will attack all of those tightly fitting joints. Cracks will form in the plastic and your model will fall to pieces. The AT-ST is particularly susceptible due to all of the tight leg joints.
So I have read... I am using exclusively acrylic paint on this, vallejo and meng mainly with a little bit of games workshop... I have the AK rust and streaking set (this has already provided the base rust colour ) and I am looking forward to experimenting with that ;).

Not sure, though, whether to clearcoat it before I start with the streaking (I have both gloss and matt, also acrylic ).
Any advice gratefully received!

On a slightly different note... now I've got the bug back... this will be my next project!
Again, any advice or links to build-ups would be very helpful (was kinda thinking of a diorama, maintenance bay maybe, and a little simple lighting!)
20210203_080826.jpg

The chipping looks amazing! How did you apply the masking fluid so finely? I always end up with really big chips (fine for props, but not right for scale stuff).

welcome back to modeling, off to a nice start for sure!

For the Viper, I would suggest Model Master Intermediate Blue.

For me it was the perfect color on it's own and did not need mixing, plus it also comes in a rattle can if you would rather skip the airbrush

Looking good! The weathering is quite striking at this stage (no pun intended...) I tried the 'hairspray' technique for the first time and found it was harder to control than say the 'salt' or 'maskol' methods which have a targeted application of the masking barrier.

I'd recommend using a coat of Future (aka Pledge Multi Finish) as a protective barrier to subsequent work.
Thanks for sharing!
Regards, Robert

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back