At long last...DREADS!

hez1

So, I think some of you know that I've been working on this for a while, in my usual stop start sort of way. Well, finally I have something to show for it. The first couple of attempts were disasters, and I really do understand why more people don't do dreds. Here's a video of it in action anyway, with some of my dred beads on there. The surface texture is not completely smooth like bambooies, but it's really not bad at all, which hopefully you can see in the pics.

OK, so out with the old, in with the new...these are much better than the old ones. Softer, bouncier and lighter. Texture is still not totally smooth, but neither were the originals, and personally I prefer it this way.

Pics:
IMG_2367.jpg.gif

Close up of the texture
IMG_2369.jpg.gif

And a video of them moving around. It takes hardly any effort at all to get them flicking around. Sorry it's sideways, can't seem to change that.
th_MVI_2365.jpg.gif

Paul they look really good, they actually look P2 ish with the slight texture. hmmmmm

I have a P2 that needs hair also

I envy you guys with these raw materials: Cold Foam, Casting Latex. If the world was ever in chaos and looting begins, others may go for the supermarket or the electronics, I'll be the only one going for the FX supply shop.

I envy you guys with these raw materials: Cold Foam, Casting Latex. If the world was ever in chaos and looting begins, others may go for the supermarket or the electronics, I'll be the only one going for the FX supply shop.
:lol: your funny mike...they look really good hez any idea if your going to start producing them and if so any idea what you will be asking for a set??

They're foam, so the weight isn't too bad. I don't have a scale that measures ounces so I can't give you an actual weight. I wonder if the post office will let me use theirs...hmm... I don't have any bambooie dreds to directly compare the weight, but they're a little heavier than the DB dreds that I have, although those things are so full of airholes they don't look great. Trade off I guess.

I have no idea yet on how much a set costs to produce, because I haven't made a full set. Give me a couple of days and I'll be able to say for sure. So far I only have one mold and each dred needs at least half an hour to cure before you can take it out. So as you can imagine, it takes a while. Leave it with me, I'll be able to tell you soon!

Ok, done some frenzied calculation, and I'd say that I'll be able to sell a set of 50 dreds for $125 + shipping. This isn't a for sale thread though, since I don't have any full sets to sell yet. I need to get more material (it doesn't go as far as I'd hoped) so I can actually do a full set and confirm that for sure.

Also, forgot to mention dimensions, they're about 1.25" wide at the top, and 25" long.

Ok, done some frenzied calculation, and I'd say that I'll be able to sell a set of 50 dreds for $125 + shipping. This isn't a for sale thread though, since I don't have any full sets to sell yet. I need to get more material (it doesn't go as far as I'd hoped) so I can actually do a full set and confirm that for sure.

Also, forgot to mention dimensions, they're about 1.25" wide at the top, and 25" long.
sweet dude thats a very good price for 50 dreads and the measurement are perfect too...good job
!!!

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back