AT-AT Driver Costume Construction

Clutch

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Doing an at-at driver costume. It won't be the most accurate, but I'll do it to the best of my ability. Hopefully new discoveries will be made down the road and it will get a continual updating. Enjoy.

Last edited:
If you are looking to buy the jumpsuit, contact Corellian Exports.

He makes the most accurate suit I've seen thats readily available. You just need it in white for the AT-AT.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JHVanOphem @ Apr 27 2006, 09:40 PM) [snapback]1234352[/snapback]</div>
If you are looking to buy the jumpsuit, contact Corellian Exports.[/b]
I agree. Got my grey AT-AT coverall from Vince and it's brilliant.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clutch @ Apr 27 2006, 07:54 PM) [snapback]1234362[/snapback]</div>
Cool thanks. Any idea what kind of boots and gloves?
[/b]

late 70's moon boots and Welding gloves.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tambo Fett @ Apr 27 2006, 09:30 PM) [snapback]1234562[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clutch @ Apr 27 2006, 07:54 PM) [snapback]1234362[/snapback]
Cool thanks. Any idea what kind of boots and gloves?
[/b]

late 70's moon boots and Welding gloves.
[/b][/quote]

Thanks Tambo.

If anybody knows where to get this ribbed strap material, you would have my undying gratitude. :)

atatstrapz.jpg
coveralls_att1z.jpg

Last edited:
I used an X-wing pilot pattern for the ejection straps, there are plenty of tutorials around. Unfortunately I don't have the one I used on this computor.<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JHVanOphem @ May 2 2006, 04:49 AM) [snapback]1236715[/snapback]</div>
They even have it in white for you.[/b]
Looks like they have what you need. However - like the coverall - I believe they need to be silver/grey, not white...

Is the AT-AT costume grey? I know for the AT-ST drivers in RotJ it was grey, but every pic I've seen of the ESB AT-AT costume appears white to me.

I think they are a light grey color, in some lights they might look white but they are grey for sure.

Does anyone have a source for the moonboots?

Thanks John. I did check that place and they have some good stuff that I'll probably end up using. However, I could be completely off my rocker, but I think the straps on the atat pilot are a different kind of strap. I know the scans are awful, but there is a distinct ribbed pattern to that strap which I cannot find at strapworks.
strapworks:
FNW2-2.jpg

With the way things usually are, I'm guessing it's some kind of rare material that was only manufactured around the time ESB was filmed. :lol

Thanks for the catch on the color. They do look darker compared to the white armor.

The flightsuit is gray. If you watch ESB, they are pretty dark. I think the pic in the VD is VERY washed out making it appear white-ish.

I can't find that particular style of welding gloves anywhere. They look to be a light-gray/white with three ribs across the back of the hand. I'll have to scratch-build the comlink unless someone knows where I can get one.

However, I did find a whole stash of those exact moonboots online.

Just kidding. I can dream, can't I? Looked for a few hours. Came up empty handed. The best I know to do now is find a style that closely matches and spraypaint the things white.

Most of the Rebel Legion pilots use the Strapworks supply and I've been told it is accurate. That ribbed pattern is on the X-Wing pilots as well.

I'll have some first hand looks next month at an event and then I'll know for sure. Photos can be deceiving, change the angle or the lighting slightly and it looks like a different strap.

I think your right about the straps clutch.The poly webbing looks close and would probably do for now,but I would sugest looking around your local haberdashery as they will likely have lots of types of webbing/strapping.

I too think the coveralls are grey. *insert rainman* Grey....definately grey :p

Looks like the side hanger might have something inside it.
The hoses aren't attached very well. They also look very floppy. Anybody know the exact diameter of these?
The little button on the shoulder strap appears to be silver.
Looks like a black strap connecting the bottom of the chest and back pieces.
The gloves look to be fuzzy with three ribs on the back of the hand. The gauntlet part seems to be pretty form fitting.
atatdriver.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>(Predatormv @ May 20 2006, 11:05 AM) [snapback]1247379[/snapback]</div>
I wonder why he has those black staps in that pic but not the standing pic that was posted before?[/b]
I always assumed the black straps were AT-AT "seat belts" - not part of the costume itself...

<div class='quotetop'>(Ketzer.com @ May 20 2006, 11:01 AM) [snapback]1247396[/snapback]</div>
Doesn't this look like there is one of those Blockaderunner rebel soldiers standing behind that ATAT driver.?
[/b]

Oh yeah. well spotted Ketzer. I think you're right :)

Fanstastic screen-grabs clutch, in my boredom here at work I've been scrolling up and down on them for a little movement illusion :p

Jeremy

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back