AT-AT diorama - FINISHED PAGE 6!!!

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by christrom, Jan 28, 2012.

1. christrom

christrom Well-Known Member

Hi everyone, I've been updating this build on another forum, but I thought I'd share these WIP photos with you. I'm not yet at the end of the build, but I plan on having 3 AT-ATs in a diorama.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next job is to take a mould of the head to make the other 2, and then I'll be getting to work on the necks! Thanks for looking :)

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  2. christrom

Re: ertl AT-AT diorama WIP

Another update.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Right, I tried to cast this head and really buggered it up... ended looking like swiss cheese it had that many holes in it. I think it was because I tried to cast it in one lump. This time I'm going to do a two-part mold, and I actually built a box for it :)

[​IMG]

Also there were a couple of details I wasn't really satisfied with, so I've done some more amendments. This'll be it though, I'm not pulling a George Lucas

[​IMG]

With primer added:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  3. Scott Graham

Scott Graham Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks good. Nice way to upgrade that kit!

4. Tim Nolan

Tim Nolan New Member

One of my favorite "critters" from Star Wars! Great attention to detail. I did just a box stcok Ertl kit a few years back, and it's a favorite in my collection. Look forward to seeing your progress!!!

5. christrom

Here is an experiment with snow I thought I'd post. Daniken72 is doing an incredible job on the Revell kit and you can see his progress here:

http://www.therpf.com/f11/revell-easy-kit-wip-134678/

I'm still slowly working on mine but I did some snow experiments recently which I think have turned out very well. For this demo I used one of the 1/144 F-Toys AT-ATs. Youtube link below:

at-at snow.mov - YouTube

And here are some pics from the experiment. What do you all think?

Thanks
    Chris

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With a bit more care ^ I reckon I could apply snow to the model and it could work out quite realistic

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  6. Monster Dave

Monster Dave Sr Member

Wha....

:confused

I don't understand...

...isn't THIS the ONLY forum???

:unsure

Just kidding with you - your diorama looks great! (y)thumbsup

7. christrom

Yeah the other forum is about knitting and stuff :)

8. danikin72

danikin72 Active Member

I do think I like that snow effect, what was the stuff again?
    I'll give it a try if I can find it locally, or I guess I can order it online.
    What did you use for the rocks? I really like the look of those as well.

By the way the build looks sweet. Makes me want to pick up a few of those old kits and give it a go.

Keep US updated, and ditch the other forum.

9. danikin72

danikin72 Active Member

ok so I just watched the video, answered alot of my questions from the previous post, I like the look of it alot actually.
    Thanks for the tip I'll look into picking some up.

10. Scratchy

Scratchy Well-Known Member

Nice vid and effects with the spackel.

As I watched, I was thinking how one could help the effects of the "snow" along,.... then I had a theory about loading an airbrush with water, mounting the diorama base on one side and spray water on the spackel, creating "snow-drifts" with the aide of gravity and the water, and cleaning the fine areas on the rocks.

Just an untested thought,.... that I'll keep tucked away in my mind for the time being. :confused

11. danikin72

danikin72 Active Member

I would try using a dust can with compressed air. I would not want to get the snow over saturated, just put enough water in to get the consistancy you want and then start drifting.
    I will try this method before I work on the final base just to test the working properties.
    Thanks again for the tip and the help.

12. christrom

Good idea scratchy, but I've found the more water the better. You can still get the shapes easily enough with loads of water and they feel more snowy. Once the water evaporates you are left with a really nice finish. Your idea of holding the base vertically would probably work very well. I tell you what though, it is really good fun! The dust can is a good idea too... looking forward to seeing results. I tell you what, you won't even look at baking powder when you see how this stuff looks in the flesh

13. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Nice job with the snow.

-Chaim

14. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

Fantastic job! I love the snow.

15. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

. . . and after a little Photoshop

[​IMG]

:D

-Chaim

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  16. Skullbeast

Skullbeast New Member

How do you like that kit, I was wanting to build one.

17. christrom

Sym-Cha that is wicked!!!!

The F-toys kit I think is really good for the size of it, the ertl one is great in terms of proportion but in my opinion needs a lot of work to get it right. It is a labour of love though and I'm enjoying working on it.

18. christrom

Okay, small update.

I have cast 2 more heads to give me all 3 finished near enough. I still have to sort out the guns.

The casting was an unholy nightmare and the casts needed a fair bit of work to get them done. They are not yet 100% and as you can see in the pics some still have tiny air bubbles. I'll do another round of filling and call them done though

[​IMG]

I'm going to be scratch building new necks as the ertl ones are too thin. I've drilled out larger holes in the back of the heads and changed the detailing. Most of this detail won't be seen, but I want to get it reasonably accurate.
    [​IMG]

And finally for scale:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  19. danikin72

danikin72 Active Member

Love what you've done here.
    I should have, looking back at it, just done 1 head and cast them.
    I really want to pick up some of these kits and have some fun with them but I'm just about burned out on AT-AT's.
    Your builds are very inspiring, especially given the scale your working with.

Are you going to have 1 of them crashed or all of them walking?

20. christrom

Thanks Danikin, to be honest it would have been quicker not casting these, they were horrible to do. I'm having all three standing because I want to recreate that shot when they are overrunning the rebels, just before Luke grenades one. Going to have to get a largish case I think!

21. christrom

So, it has been a while so time for another update.
    I’ve got a fair bit done and I’ll soon be ready to start scribing and messing around with the bodies. For me one of the things I didn’t like with the ertl kit was the neck. The way it connected with the head and body looked a bit rubbish – also it looked too thin in diameter.

So, after looking for ages I managed to find a styrene card, which was cut with ridges which I could use for the neck tubing. I then found some plumber’s plastic pipe of appropriate diameter and glued the ridged styrene to it. This was tricky but I managed to carefully warm the plastic to make it more pliable. I would glue a bit on and then clamp it for a few hours before bending the plastic further, gluing and repeating. It was time consuming but the final result looks way better.

As I had redone the necks I needed to add the neck supports. For this I used Adobe InDesign to create a template. I printed the template and tried it with paper until I was happy with the design. Then once the design was finalized I reprinted and used spray mount to stick it to some white styrene. I then cut out the design, peeled off the paper and gave it a bit of a sanding. Again, I glued in sections and clamped each part until it was done. I then added the bolts from some old kits I got off ebay, and primed the whole lot.

You can see the new neck coming together on the right and in the centre are the neck templates

[​IMG]

Here is a comparison between new and old necks:

.[​IMG]

After I finished these they didn’t attach very well to the body, so once again I got on the computer and redesigned the front part of the body, printed out, stuck to styrene and cut out:

This shows roughly what it looks like now:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And just a test shot using an old ertl body I'm using for paint experimentation:

[​IMG]

I'm on with the guns now and will update soon!
    Comments/criticism always welcome :)

22. NAZGÛL

NAZGÛL Sr Member

Great job! Ive built one many years ago. I remember it was really nice, but you are making those shine. The snow effct on the mountain looks really good. I gotta do a dio some day!

Dig the mods you did. Whats a glass bead?

23. christrom

The mountains were just a test with a smaller model but I can't wait to get this done! The 'glass beads' were literally beads used for making necklaces that you would find in a craft shop; I just looked for ages until I found these tiny ones.

24. danikin72

danikin72 Active Member

I was wondering if you were still on these?

Looking good, the neck is major improvement, I should have done that with mine.
    Makes me want to get some of these and have a go at it, very inspiring.

25. christrom

Thanks Danikin; I've finished the side guns now so once I've done the chin guns I'll update this. The revell neck was fine though wasn't it?

26. danikin72

danikin72 Active Member

The neck needed a lot of work, I ended up scraping the whole thing really.
    I really didn't like the ridges and the neck rings that attach to the body and head were horrible. They had huge gaps where the rings meet the body/head.
    For turning purposes I guess.

27. Amish Trooper

Amish Trooper Sr Member

Can never get enough of the AT-AT. I am wanting to mold my Wizards AT-AT since I enjoy the size and I think it is a decent base and create a dio

28. gobelas

gobelas New Member

Great job, I also have an ertl ATAT kit in the box, and may be one day I´ll make it...

29. christrom

Okay, another update. I've sorted the guns out by using brass rod, a couple of details from some cannibalised kits and a load of patience!

[​IMG]

Side guns done ^

[​IMG]

For a before-and-after comparison ^

[​IMG]

Main guns are now lengthened with brass rod and primed ^

[​IMG]

Side guns lightly primed and ready ^ (apart from the one on the end... lost the shield bit on the side and I'm pretty pi**ed off about that! Back to the drawing/cutting board for that one.)

[​IMG]

The underneath bits ^

[​IMG]

More AT-AT bits ^ :) These are such a pain to sand - the seams were terrible, and being rounded didn't make them easier to sand. I had to cut thin strips of sandpaper and use a flossing motion like a shoe-shiner

[​IMG]

Really wanted to add these side ports ^ as it will give a little more accuracy for the rear of the AT-AT

[​IMG]

My AT-AT graveyard ^

Still taking ages to do, but getting there. I have to scribe the bodies after this, sort out the panels on the back of the walkers and then I can think about constructing and painting. Funny really, still haven't put these things together yet and some sections will need to be completely painted before they do get assembled.

Once the walkers are finished I will work on the diorama which will include snowspeeders, loads of troops, trenches and gun placements. It is a miracle I am still motivated but I will definitely see this through.

And then... I'm gonna make a walking one. I figure if adriano kenobi can make this:

AT-AT Walker Motorizado - YouTube

Then I can too. I am learning all about programming servos so this will be a nice challenge.

Feedback/criticisms welcomed :)

30. Star Raider

Star Raider New Member

These look fantastic... I'm really surprised how well the very small tiny details look... for ones like the lighter or penny...

The detail is amazing!!

31. Locry

Locry Member

Your detailing is crazy at that small a scale!!! How are your eyes holding up? :)

32. christrom

My eyes are f**ked ;)

33. clancampbell

clancampbell Sr Member

Staggering upgrades, incredible details!

Rich

34. baloo

baloo Member

... After that, hard to wait patiently the sequel hehe! :love

35. christrom

Well, here's another quick update!

I've sorted the underside of the AT-ATs. These are not really screen accurate but I thought I'd add a little more detail just to stop it looking too much like a model kit. A lot of this detail might not get seen so I just wanted to add a bit of mechanical interest. By the way, the white disks at the front are made from buttons! They were the perfect size :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

36. christrom

Hi everyone, another update.

I have been scribing all of the body details on the AT-ATs, but I still have the tops to do.

[​IMG]

This has been very tedious due to the small scale but I'm pretty pleased with them up to now

[​IMG]

^ Here is the technique I use for the scribing. I first chisel off the existing raised panel lines using an x-acto knife with a 17 blade and give it a bit of a sanding

[​IMG]

1: I then use a needle in a pin vice to mark the end points of the line

2: I scribe using the needle/pin vice by taking repetitive passes

3: Out comes the number 17 x-acto to remove the displaced ridges pushed up by the scribe

4: finished result (sanded with wet and dry)

DONE!

And then I started to build some new side details to make it a little more screen accurate

[​IMG]

^ I made 3 of these out of styrene and very finely cut copper rod

I wasn't completely satisfied with these so I remade them and then cut out the appropriate shape in the AT-AT's side armour. I then glued in place

[​IMG]

^ The finish is a little rough but seeing as I'm doing a beaten up vehicle I can use imperfections as paint scratches/dents

[​IMG]

^ Repeat 3 times

[​IMG]

^ Settles in pretty well when primed

[​IMG]

That's it for the moment. I'm working on the tops now and then I'll tackle the rear armour :) To further the battle damage and chips I've been carefully attacking the plastic with a knife, cutting small ridges and scrapes. These will be enhanced with paint afterwards

Thanks for looking!

37. NAZGÛL

NAZGÛL Sr Member

I like! Has that AT-AT finish. Well done! :thumbsup

38. christrom

Started the work on the top of the AT-ATs by removing the raised lines, scribing new ones, adding detailing and then sticking back on all the * stuff I couldn't avoid with my knife!

[​IMG]

added new raised detail on the rear sections

[​IMG]

Next, I re-did the front vents by adding corrugated styrene and then making a window to lay over the top. I was not sure whether to bother doing this, as they don't look terrible as they are, but I think it was worth the extra effort

[​IMG]

Then I made some new vents for the rear of the AT-AT out of scribed styrene

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is all the extra detailing I'll be adding to this area because it is pretty accurate as is , I just wanted the vents to jut out more and fill the space more like the studio model.

Currently working on the back panels, sorting out the armour plates. I'll post more soon! Thanks for looking, comments/criticism weclome :)

39. Chaank

Chaank Well-Known Member

Wow, I'm loving it! Good to see some thing a bit different. Love the detail your putting into this. Are you gonna put any other vehicles/ships in it?

40. christrom

Thanks Chaank! There will be 3 AT-ATs, rebel soldiers in the trenches, gun emplacements and 2 or 3 snowspeeders flying around. Currently working on the rear portion of armour on the AT-ATs and will update soon

41. Scratchy

Amazing work. Just seeing what you're doing to your builds is real inspiration for me.... I really want to get back to my AT-AT after all these years.

Will you make all the AT-ATs identical, or will you change up some of the small details on each?

42. christrom

Wow, thanks Scratchy! I've been a big fan of your work also. I could see you doing a great job on these. The AT-ATs are near as * it identical, but some detailing is most definitely not movie accurate. I think when you get to this scale the impression is more important when it comes to greeblies and stuff. They are certainly much more accurate than they were, and I can't wait to start the painting. The only issue with the paint is I think I'll have to keep them in pieces to get to every hard-to-reach area, but I may do a rough assemble on one of them for morale!

43. blakeh1

blakeh1 Sr Member

Nice to see more progress on these. Very crisp scribing. They should look great in a diorama

44. christrom

More AT-AT stuff:

The armour needed changing, the studio models we know and love have 2 panels. I dremelled the original bits out and filled the resultant void with bits of kitbash. I also scratch-built the vents at the top:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I constructed the new armour plates (Scott Girvin from SMA is to thank for the helpful template for this.) I made new rivets by poking a needle through the reverse side of the armour plate.

[​IMG]

Also I put some more detailing on the side which will connect to the AT-AT's underbelly. This is not movie accurate per-se, but just provides a little more interest.

[​IMG]

Finished unprimed:

[​IMG]

Then, a bit of primer and we're good to go!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I still have to create the top armour panel but will wait until I have put the body pieces together.

Not long until I start painting!!!!!!!

TBC...

45. christrom

Painting here we come!

First though, I made sure all the legs looked right and marked the bottom of each foot so I could replicate the poses after painting:

[​IMG]

^ So these are basically the leg positions I'm trying to get

[​IMG]

^ Headless but happy

[​IMG]

Didn't take a photo of the third one... you get the picture though

Preshading

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

fading back the preshading with main coat

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've perhaps faded the shading a little too much, but I'd prefer it subtle rather than toy-like, and this is my first try at airbrushing models. I might mix a lighter shade and carefully hit the centres of the panels.

Incidentally, I'm mixing all these colours from scratch using Windsor and Newton artists acrylics. I teach painting and had to buy some new acrylics and I'd heard nothing but good stuff about the new Windsor and Newton range. They thin down perfectly with water and airbrush very well.

Thanks folks :)

46. Scratchy

Nice work! Windsor & Newton huh,... I would've never considered trying that in a million years. I just may have to pick up two more walkers, a display of one just isn't justified.

:popcorn

47. christrom

Yeah the paints are really excellent.

I've been practicing dot fading oils for colour modulation tonight on an old model and I had a nightmare time with it. But, I think I've come up with a new application technique for oils which allows beautiful subtlety! If the model looks good in the cold light of day I'll post something about it!

48. Talkierg

Talkierg Well-Known Member

You did a really great job on the small details:thumbsup

49. christrom

Thanks Talkierg!

50. Randy13

Randy13 Well-Known Member

This is absolutely beautiful work you’re doing here. Everything is looking great.