Astoria Goonies House Now Off Limits

Y'know.. I know it's a real home and all, but the person shouldn't have bought and lived in it if they knew it was going to be quite an attraction for tourists who come year round to see something from such a famous film like Goonies.

Maybe ask for a $5 donation or something in some drop box to take a photo so she can have the fans collectively pay her monthly mortgage, haha!

I can't even imagine what it must be like to have so many tourists around your home constantly. I get iffy when the UPS guy comes up my driveway...

Sad to say, I really doubt this is a problem that can be fixed. Maybe some millionaire Goonies fan can buy the block and make it some kind of museum? Wishful thinking I guess!

How do you buy the Goonies house without realizing what it means that it's the freakin' Goonies house? The whole town is proud of it, they have an annual festival about it, the realtor made it a selling point. She had to know she was buying a damn tourist attraction. Idiot. The only realistic approach is for someone to buy it and turn it into a theme B&B -- someone who actually knows what the house is and wants the interest and activity.

--Jonah

Didn't see that when I was there in 2013,but I did drop by the jail.

Never seen the film just noted it in the local attractions so I thought "meh I'm here may as well take a look"

How do you buy the Goonies house without realizing what it means that it's the freakin' Goonies house? The whole town is proud of it, they have an annual festival about it, the realtor made it a selling point. She had to know she was buying a damn tourist attraction. Idiot.

--Jonah

Wow, Jonah, you're pretty quick to call someone an "idiot" over a situation you've completely oversimplified. Go actually read the linked article and try, just for a minute, to understand the situation from her point of view before you commit to jamming your foot in your mouth.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been to Astoria, when the festival was going on, saw the house, remember how long it was on the market, saw how it was being listed and advertised, have seen the full range of fans... I stand by my assertion that if one buys a house that featured prominently in a popular movie or TV series, one should expect it to attract the attention of the fans. I've seen it happen to far lesser extents (I'm an hour or less in any direction from locations used in Sleepless In Seattle, Twin Peaks, An Officer and a Gentleman, Frasier, Grey's Anatomy, Rose Red... and, unfortunately, only three hours from Forks), and know of the unfocused enthusiasm of thousands of fans who descend on Riverside, Iowa, every year for Kirk's birthday. If they had a farmhouse to focus that on, it'd probably be the same. I still call lack of foresight, especially knowing said popular movie had commonly-celebrated anniversaries coming up that would hang exponents on the number of people showing up.

--Jonah

I agree. This was a bad idea on her part knowing that it would attract tourists, this is why the house in Amityville got remodeled to be nearly unrecognizable.

You are blaming the victim here. People were showing up from 4:30am to past 11pm, AND leaving loads of trash behind. CHOMP CHOMP, Click Click, "OK, let's go" tosses McDonalds wrappers on the ground. Blame the Knuckle dragging mouth breathing SLOBS, not the house owner here. Once again People's lack of control and basic decency ruins it for everyone.
Same reason San Francisco is using an experimental Urine Resistant paint. Public Urination is so bad there that a light pole collapsed and crushed a car because of Urine Corrosion. Makes you proud don't it?

I've been to Astoria, when the festival was going on, saw the house, remember how long it was on the market, saw how it was being listed and advertised, have seen the full range of fans... I stand by my assertion that if one buys a house that featured prominently in a popular movie or TV series, one should expect it to attract the attention of the fans. I've seen it happen to far lesser extents (I'm an hour or less in any direction from locations used in Sleepless In Seattle, Twin Peaks, An Officer and a Gentleman, Frasier, Grey's Anatomy, Rose Red... and, unfortunately, only three hours from Forks), and know of the unfocused enthusiasm of thousands of fans who descend on Riverside, Iowa, every year for Kirk's birthday. If they had a farmhouse to focus that on, it'd probably be the same. I still call lack of foresight, especially knowing said popular movie had commonly-celebrated anniversaries coming up that would hang exponents on the number of people showing up.

--Jonah

I totally agree, people should avoid buying houses that were featured in popular movies if they don't want strangers coming by all the time. But based on that article, she was pretty accommodating for many, many years when the traffic was more reasonable. Then, Goonies tourism exploded during the last four years. I'm not sure anyone 14 years ago would have had the foresight to anticipate 12,000 to 15,000 visitors in one month alone. That's an insane amount of foot traffic for any community neighborhood.

Residential movie locations being treated as shrines for thousands of fans is a relatively new thing, like Jaws-fest in Martha's Vineyard. You have to bear in mind, this isn't a prop house, it's not on a studio backlot. It's in a neighborhood full of regular people who are trying to live their lives. Most fans respect that sort of situation. Unfortunately, when you suddenly have thousands of people showing up all at once, things can get out of control pretty fast, which is what this particular situation seems to be.

You are blaming the victim here. People were showing up from 4:30am to past 11pm, AND leaving loads of trash behind. CHOMP CHOMP, Click Click, "OK, let's go" tosses McDonalds wrappers on the ground. Blame the Knuckle dragging mouth breathing SLOBS, not the house owner here. Once again People's lack of control and basic decency ruins it for everyone.
Same reason San Francisco is using an experimental Urine Resistant paint. Public Urination is so bad there that a light pole collapsed and crushed a car because of Urine Corrosion. Makes you proud don't it?

Aren't humans awesome??!?!

I agree she probably just had enough. Keeping distance and posing for photos in front of the house is WAAAAAY more different than people walking around on the porch and peering in the windows. To me, that crosses a line and becomes trespassing not to mention creepy.

IMG_4021.JPG

in before the lock!!!

I think the city should buy the house and turn it into a museum or declare it a historical site. It's existence brings too much tourism for the town for it to essentially disappear.

The owner is a moron. She might as well have bought a house next to an active airport and then complained that the airplanes make too much noise.

The owner is a moron. She might as well have bought a house next to an active airport and then complained that the airplanes make too much noise.

So you think she's a moron because when she bought the house 14 years ago she didn't anticipate 1500 people a day trudging through her neighborhood? Again, she was fine with the visitors for many years until the city encouraged out of control tourism for a neighborhood not designed to handle it. After 14 years she's had enough. Only a moron with underdeveloped comprehension skills could blame her for that.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back