Assistance Needed for Part ID - OT Vader MoM Lightsaber Switch

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

coolhanluked

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Over the years I've looked at hundreds of contact blocks, fuse
blocks, terminal blocks, contact fuse blocks, contact terminal blocks etc. There is a difference. Theres thousands of configurations. Also recently have been looking at blocks on circuit boards. And a few other things. This part has been a thorn in my side for 20 years! I have a fairly correct casting of one that i got like 15 years ago. I have no idea where i got it. But its proportionally correct and not that big. Compared to most that i have held in hand. Which has lead me to believe that its for a smaller application like a circuit board or part of a larger assembly that we wouldn't notice right off the bat. If that is tape we are seeing than it would be found inside a larger assembly which makes things very difficult. Plus its age makes it impossible. You dont find very many vintage blocks on the market. They are throw away items. Ive found a few that come close but never put me on a new trail. I can say that all industrys have not been explored. I have looked into aeronautics and model trains! It is possible this is a terminal block inside a model train activation box.

I'm excited to see this get attention again. It needs to be found.

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

coolhanluked

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Screenshot_20200808-094035_eBay.jpg

thd9791

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Just recently it hit me that the corners of the upper part of this part are not right angles. they are squashed

This pic from Poikilotherm shows it pretty well
496401415523232.png

especially the top one, look at the sides, it forms a V more than an L

dr_slurpee

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
That’s just the wear on the black plastic that is more matte inside the corner which is creating the optical illusion, if you look at the other photos you can see it’s a square corner.

thd9791

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Are ya sure?
Screen Shot 2021-06-23 at 8.11.10 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-23 at 8.10.33 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-23 at 8.12.46 PM.png

Dunno, might be an optical illusion, I'm seeing it in a few shots now. it's slight though

thd9791

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
welcome michael! great work on that

Can confirm, the Barbican piece was molded for the energizer bunny saber. it has the same holes from those brass screws and the main holes are oval

thd9791

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
My latest search (thanks to a reddit post) has been through the rear casings of toggle and microswitches. I believe the faint circles at the ends of the piece to be the backside of an attachment, like on this microswitch
Screen Shot 2021-10-25 at 11.15.06 PM.png

Still, no cigar. Pretend the bolts aren't there. Technically, we have no idea what the top looked like before they ran bolts through to the saber, all we know is the rectangular hole is there.

roygilsing

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
My latest search (thanks to a reddit post) has been through the rear casings of toggle and microswitches. I believe the faint circles at the ends of the piece to be the backside of an attachment, like on this microswitch
View attachment 1506585

Still, no cigar. Pretend the bolts aren't there. Technically, we have no idea what the top looked like before they ran bolts through to the saber, all we know is the rectangular hole is there.
Funny, just today, before I saw your post, I was looking as well and found some vintage toggle switches that are close. What's interesting, like your image, is that the face plate is what we consider is the bottom. I think we're getting warm!

coltogswispdtz.jpg
20amp DPDT toggle switch 01.jpg
Momentary switch.jpg

eethan

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Actually could be 2 types, not just SPDT, SPST could be better as it's assymetrical. In any case, this is a bit reductive for the search, and sadly, searching for wider terms is more likely to find the actual item. But I think this is close!!

1635253797915.png

thd9791

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Many toggle switches I've found from that era are too wide. That, to me, is the trick, finding one that is purely rectangular and not fat

The cool thing is the length of that older era is consistently close to Graflex clamp height

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.