Assault Phaser Butt Plate

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by sleepless, Jul 17, 2006.

1. sleepless

sleepless Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever produced copies of the red and gold butt plate from the Star Trek Assault Phaser??

I have just bought a resin phaser and wanted to put one on the base??

[​IMG]

It is the red and gold image in the above pic.

2. blufive

blufive Sr Member

Hey sleepless

Are you from Australia?

I think we've spoken before.

:D

3. QuasiOdo

QuasiOdo Well-Known Member

I believe they are red and silver- anyway, good question. I'd like to find some as well.
    Anyone?

4. Great_Bizarro

Great_Bizarro Sr Member

If I remember right, one of the Star Trek books had a good drawing of it that could be scanned and printed..

5. mb1k

mb1k Well-Known Member

Bump. I'm interested as well. Does this sound like something RACprops could do for us and $$?

6. Sporak

Sporak Sr Member Gone but not forgotten.

The real one I saw was laser etched into plastic....or aluminum.

7. yt

yt Sr Member

I'd be in for one of these. I guess I'll have to build mine since MR crapped out on these.

8. jhusel

jhusel Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

There was a run of these years ago. They were brass plates, painted with red, then etched I believe. VERY nice. I only have the 1 left on my Miarecki.

Jhusel

9. blufive

blufive Sr Member

I still have one of the ID tags from that run, too. They were made from red vinyl on brass.

There will be another run coming in the near future, along with a possible metal parts run as well.

10. yt

yt Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(blufive @ Nov 8 2006, 02:50 PM) [snapback]1353304[/snapback]</div>
    That would be sweet. Will there be details around here somewhere?

11. Vaderman

Vaderman Sr Member

The original ones were the same type of plastic that was used for signage in the original series. A color layered over white, with the engraving cut through the color to reveal the white.
    They were all individually numbered.

12. blufive

blufive Sr Member

I'm sure we can post details when the time comes.

:)

13. drusselmeyer

drusselmeyer Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(sleepless @ Jul 18 2006, 05:24 AM) [snapback]1282904[/snapback]</div>
    If I remember correctly, the originals were all engraved aluminum and had different numbers.

Coyle mentioned something about making these phasers for Roddenberry.com sometime in the future.

Email him and ask.

14. minieffects

minieffects Well-Known Member

They were actually acid etched magnesium. They did have different numbers. The logic being that the prop master as well as paramount could keep track of them.

This is an original
    [attachmentid=11205]

15. AnsonJames

AnsonJames Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(minieffects @ Nov 23 2006, 07:43 AM) [snapback]1364130[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for this.

Anson

16. blufive

blufive Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(minieffects @ Nov 23 2006, 02:43 AM) [snapback]1364130[/snapback]</div>
    Interesting information. I think a lot of the replicas have utilized brass as the base. Where did you get your information?

17. minieffects

I worked on ST6.

18. blufive

blufive Sr Member

Neato.

By the way, welcome to the forum.

19. minieffects

Thanks for the welcome. Im glad to help where I can.

minieffects

Here are a few pics of one of the finished props before it went to set.

20. yt

yt Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(minieffects @ Nov 23 2006, 05:58 PM) [snapback]1364317[/snapback]</div>

Good thing it wasn't 5 or you wouldn't want to tell anybody. :eek:

21. minieffects

Very true, however Ive worked on far worse films than ST5........far worse.

22. blufive

blufive Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(minieffects @ Nov 23 2006, 11:42 PM) [snapback]1364635[/snapback]</div>
    You forgot the pics.

23. minieffects

They didnt post for some reason, grrrrr.

24. blufive

blufive Sr Member

Do you need help posting them?

25. minieffects

For some reason I only have 44.53k of global space left. What the heck does that mean?

26. minieffects

Ok, lets try this again.

I would like to take this opertunity to point out a couple of things to all of you.

1. Do not post these images on your website or anyone elses please. If you wish to share them then please direct them to this post only. I am more than happy to share this info however it must be understood that the only reason I am posting these images now is because of the Christies auction and the fact that the orginals are out there in the general public.

2. Please use these for your own personal use, A: making an exsisting one that you have more accurate or B: building your own for yourself and not for sale or mass production.

I realize that I am asking alot however I only wish to preserve history and help others to do so. I know there are those out there who do take advantage of peoples generosity but I humbly ask that you all respect the artists and craftsman who created these items as well as the talented artists and craftsman who wish to replicate and preserve them for for posterity.

If I do come to find that my help has been in anyway exploited or taken advantage of I will remove the images as well as my membership with this forum permenently. I only wish to help but this is my livelyhood and I do not wish it put in jepordy because of someone elses greed or selfishness. This is a community and we need to respect the community or it undermines all that it stands for .

Sorry for the soapbox but I needed to point this out so that my position is understood.

Respectfully,

minieffects

And here are the images.
    Again these were taken before they went to set. Sorry the power clip is missing in these images.

http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/2663/assualtphaserbj3.jpg
    http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/1566/as...thexplanza3.jpg

I will only have these up for a few days.

27. blufive

blufive Sr Member

Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

I have a question for you. Were there different details on different Assault Phasers? I've seen a few different versions floating around.

28. minieffects

My recolection was that they were all the same. Its been awhile but I dont seem to remember different versions or types with the exception of the assasins phaser rifle. Now if some of the originals were modified for use in the tv shows then I dont know. For example I know that a phaser from st3 was modified and used in a next gen episode. Prop masters try to save their budget whenever and where ever they can. The only thing I can confirm is that this is what they looked liked going to set for st6.

all the best

minieffects

29. blufive

blufive Sr Member

Thanks again.

30. minieffects

Your welcome :)

31. trekprops.de

trekprops.de Well-Known Member

Great pics, thanks for sharing.

I'm always thrilled to see people that actually participated in the creation of Star Trek post here and share information. I also want to say that your terms are in no way over the top.

32. minieffects

Thank you for your kind words.

By the way I took a look at your website. Very clean, very proffesional. And your props are beautifully built. I think its great to show others the how to's and pass along the knowledge. I did a little reading on your tutorial about the padd and noticed that you joined the acrylic parts together with 5 minute epoxy. Have you ever tried Weld-On 3. This is specifically made for joining acrylic and other plastic materials. The beauty to this stuff is its water thin and creates a permenent bond because it melts the plastic together effectivly fusing the two parts. Ive been using it for years to detail space ships, assemble laser cut parts etc.. If you havent you should treat yourself to trying it. I think you will like it. This is assuming that you havent allready used it.

http://www.ipscorp.com/industrial/index.shtml

All the best

minieffects

33. minieffects

Hey guys, need to make a correction. In a previous post I indicated the assault phaser was based on a beretta m92 pistol. My memory isnt so good so I checked my notes and remembered that its a beretta m93r. Sorry for the misinformation.

If anyone is up to the challenge of building an assault phaser, tokyo marui makes an airsoft version of this gun.

minieffects

[attachmentid=11270]

[attachmentid=11271]
    [attachmentid=11272]

34. blufive

blufive Sr Member

A buddy gave me the 93R Airsoft a couple of years ago. I hope I get around to modifying it one day.

35. Walter

Walter Sr Member

For some reason I can not see the images of the assult phaser when I click on the link, can someone send the images to me?

bbabich@cox.net

Thank you,

Bryan

36. minieffects

Ive taken them down for now. Updating

minieffects

37. minieffects

Thats cool. The clip was molded and modified. It had a square led in the top and a slide switch on the top in the front I think. Its been so long I cant remember. I will see if I have any more pics. One of these days I plan to model the phaser in Rhino 3d and generate plans but Ive been a little too busy. If I ever get to it I will post the drawings for all to use.

minieffects

38. trekprops.de

trekprops.de Well-Known Member

minieffects,

thanks for the tip on Weld-On 3. Since I'm in Germany I'm not sure if this product is available here, at least not under that name. I've seen JB-Weld here, but I think that's a little over the top for gluing PADD parts together. ;) I'll see if I can find a product that's equivalent to Weld-On 3 here.

I'm also glad you like my website. :)

39. Blackbirdcd

Blackbirdcd Well-Known Member

Hey, thanks for your insight on the making of this fine prop. I secured an airsoft 93R a few years back, just to tackle this project someday. Once you remove the plastic grips, the handle begins to look a LOT like the familiar ST V VI phaser.

Clearly a rubber grip was used over this form - at least that's where I'm guessing the series of holes on the handgrip come from.

40. minieffects

They molded the original gun and then used castings to build a vacuform pattern. They then vacuformed over the grip area and drilled the holes. The vacuform was then applied onto the final pattern. The grip was rigid, no rubber material was used except for the grip area on the power clip. That stuff was off the shelf v grove rubber matting. I can get the specs for you.

all the best

minieffects

41. minieffects

Here is a drawing of the clip grip material. I think in the US you can get it at Home Depot or a True Value hardware store.

[​IMG]

42. blufive

blufive Sr Member

What is it from? Is the material sold by itself or is it part of something else?

43. minieffects

You can buy by the sheet. Ive seen it on a roll and they will cut off what you want to buy. Its a non slip mat basically. Its also known as V-Rib Antislip Runner Mats. Mcmaster carr has somthing close but its a little bit thicker. As far as home depot or the like, you have to go down to their store because the websites suck.
    You will also notice this stuff on top of equipment carts as a non slip surface or a non slip surface for stairs.

good luck.

http://www.mcmaster.com/
    http://www.matsetc.com/750vgroovrub.html

minieffects

44. Sporak

Sporak Sr Member Gone but not forgotten.

Oh No,
    I seem to have missed the pics...
    Will you be reposting them in the future?
    I'd love to get a peek ;)

And promise NOT to misuse them...

sporak@earthlink.net

45. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sporak @ Nov 27 2006, 08:33 PM) [snapback]1366347[/snapback]</div>

Missed them too. Would LOVE to see them.

46. minieffects

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PHArchivist @ Dec 4 2006, 07:03 PM) [snapback]1371546[/snapback]</div>

Missed them too. Would LOVE to see them. [/b][/quote]

Yea I will, just had problems with my posting site.
    will be back soon

47. wizardofflight

wizardofflight Well-Known Member

Thank you. It is great that you are willing to share this kind of info. We live for this kind of stuff.

Alan

48. PHArchivist

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(minieffects @ Nov 25 2006, 12:09 AM) [snapback]1365053[/snapback]</div>
    1. In reviewing The Art of Star Trek, the three Assault Phasers (who came up with that name, anyway...?) all have different emitter details. One of them seems to be a stunt cast, one a hero, and the third unclear. At least per the photos...

2. Also, the two of the three butt plates shown on page 269 have a broader stroke/lines to them.

3. Was the original color of these phasers a true black, or more a charcoal grey? And is any weathering currently present artificial, or real-world wear and tear?

Comments...?

49. PHArchivist

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(blufive @ Nov 8 2006, 02:50 PM) [snapback]1353304[/snapback]</div>

Any news on this...?

50. PHArchivist

...?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PHArchivist @ Jan 10 2007, 02:40 AM) [snapback]1394241[/snapback]</div>
    1. In reviewing The Art of Star Trek, the three Assault Phasers (who came up with that name, anyway...?) all have different emitter details. One of them seems to be a stunt cast, one a hero, and the third unclear. At least per the photos...

2. Also, the two of the three butt plates shown on page 269 have a broader stroke/lines to them.

3. Was the original color of these phasers a true black, or more a charcoal grey? And is any weathering currently present artificial, or real-world wear and tear?

Comments...?
    [/b][/quote]

Nuthin, eh...?