Assassin's Creed Movie (Post-release)

Re: Assassin's Creed Movie

In my opinion, this would be one of the few video games that could work as a movie... So if this is the case, kudos to Ubisoft. :)

Let's all just pray and hope a certain German "film-maker" isn't involved. I don't even want to say his name. It might jinx it!

Eh, I think it's unnecessary. The games themselves are already quite cinematic. I don't see what a retelling with expensive actors would do to add to it.

It'd strike me that any films would necessarily have to deviate in important ways from the games -- which is the classic "remake" trap. How far away from the source material do you go to keep the film fresh and not just a cinematic rehash of the game, while still retaining what people loved about the game? I think that'd be a particularly tough balance to strike with such a cinematic series as the AC series.

Mind you, I'm not surprised at all if this has already been greenlit. It's a successful branded property. Why WOULDN'T Hollywood go for it? The marketing campaign doesn't even need a lot of effort. Hell, I can tell you the teaser poster already.

Name of Actor at top of poster

Partially lit hooded face, hand with assassin's blade, or full figure in center of poster.

Date at bottom.

Eh, I think it's unnecessary. The games themselves are already quite cinematic. I don't see what a retelling with expensive actors would do to add to it.

It'd strike me that any films would necessarily have to deviate in important ways from the games -- which is the classic "remake" trap. How far away from the source material do you go to keep the film fresh and not just a cinematic rehash of the game, while still retaining what people loved about the game? I think that'd be a particularly tough balance to strike with such a cinematic series as the AC series.

Mind you, I'm not surprised at all if this has already been greenlit. It's a successful branded property. Why WOULDN'T Hollywood go for it? The marketing campaign doesn't even need a lot of effort. Hell, I can tell you the teaser poster already.

Name of Actor at top of poster

Partially lit hooded face, hand with assassin's blade, or full figure in center of poster.

Date at bottom.

I think it's completely necessary. I don't game. I haven't owned a game system since Atari 2600, and that was my step-sister's. I do pay very close attention to art and graphics used in gaming though, and I think A/C is among the best, if not tops.

Not sure I follow your reasoning. Because AC has pretty graphics, you think it should be made into a film? Or because you haven't played the game (because you don't own a console), you want to find out the story? Or.....what?

Not sure I follow your reasoning. Because AC has pretty graphics, you think it should be made into a film? Or because you haven't played the game (because you don't own a console), you want to find out the story? Or.....what?

For Pete's sake, I have to explain this?

Really?

Maybe I should be more clear... I don't PLAY games. That doesn't mean I am completely (or even mildly) ignorant of the gaming world. I am an artist and writer (among other things). Whatever video games are, they are, at heart, a story medium. I pay VERY close attention to certain franchises. It doesn't take a player to appreciate the concept behind some games, and to realize and want to see them in other forms enjoyed by more people.

For Pete's sake, I have to explain this?

Really?

Maybe I should be more clear... I don't PLAY games. That doesn't mean I am completely (or even mildly) ignorant of the gaming world. I am an artist and writer (among other things). Whatever video games are, they are, at heart, a story medium. I pay VERY close attention to certain franchises. It doesn't take a player to appreciate the concept behind some games, and to realize and want to see them in other forms enjoyed by more people.

Relax, dude, I'm just asking you a question, and yeah, maybe you DO have to explain it if you aren't clear in your initial post. I have no idea what your familiarity is with the franchise, given that I don't know you from Adam, so when you say "I don't own a console," I can't help but wonder just how familiar you are with the franchise itself, the story of the games, etc.

Regardless, I still disagree. You're entitled to your opinion, and I think it's a safe bet that Hollywood will give you what you want. I'm just saying I think it's unnecessary. Folks can play the game if they want the story. It's a well told story even in the context of the game. Games already being an audio-visual medium, it strikes me as redundant to turn them into a film most of the time. I think that's particularly true with games that tell their stories well the way the AC series does.

But hey, you want to go see it, bully for you. I expect you'll get your movie soon enough. >shrug<

Relax, dude, I'm just asking you a question, and yeah, maybe you DO have to explain it if you aren't clear in your initial post. I have no idea what your familiarity is with the franchise, given that I don't know you from Adam, so when you say "I don't own a console," I can't help but wonder just how familiar you are with the franchise itself, the story of the games, etc.

Regardless, I still disagree. You're entitled to your opinion, and I think it's a safe bet that Hollywood will give you what you want. I'm just saying I think it's unnecessary. Folks can play the game if they want the story. It's a well told story even in the context of the game. Games already being an audio-visual medium, it strikes me as redundant to turn them into a film most of the time. I think that's particularly true with games that tell their stories well the way the AC series does.

But hey, you want to go see it, bully for you. I expect you'll get your movie soon enough. >shrug<

Really, you just caught me in a pissy mood. But to follow your line of thinking, we should leave ALL source material as-is? No more movies based on books? Comics? Old T.V. series?(oh wait, could do without that last one...lol).

How about the reverse? What about all of the awesome games based on other source material? You just can't get away from the association. What I do get, and fear myself, is that far too few games are done justice in their big screen adaptations. Let's just hope this one is treated to the production value I'm sure we both think it deserves.

I'm split on the idea. On the one hand I love the AC franchise so very much and wouldn't mind seeing it brought to the big screen if done properly. On the other hand I am very skeptical about Hollywood getting video games right. Resident Evil is the only decent video game brought to movie franchise out there. I worry primarily about two things - casting and story. Casting wise, I fear they might choose either some big muscly action hero or a skinny british teen heart throb in the role of Ezio instead of a relatively average (but good looking) italian man who can act. Secondly, I worry they will only skim the surface of the incredibly rich dramatic story in favor of shallow entertainment. No big budget directors either, please.

Really, you just caught me in a pissy mood. But to follow your line of thinking, we should leave ALL source material as-is? No more movies based on books? Comics? Old T.V. series?(oh wait, could do without that last one...lol).

How about the reverse? What about all of the awesome games based on other source material? You just can't get away from the association. What I do get, and fear myself, is that far too few games are done justice in their big screen adaptations. Let's just hope this one is treated to the production value I'm sure we both think it deserves.

It doesnt have to be ALL source material, but yes, some things should be left as-is. Assassin's Creed is perfect how it is (as an awesome video game) and Hollywood is going to do its typical "lets make a movie of that will either suck or it will be good and we'll make sequels till they suck". Let the game just be a good game. They'll make a movie of anything popular these days. They made a movie of BATTLESHIP for ****'s sake.

This isn't the 80's or 90's when you heard "Oh, they're making a movie of that?" and got excited. Quite the opposite actually.

No worries, man. I get that way sometimes myself. :cheers

To explain my view on translating source material...I think it depends on the source medium and the translated medium.

Much of the time, we're talking about source material that is static imagery (like a comic book) or no imagery at all (like a prose novel). In those cases, I can see an argument for translation to big or small screen. Why? Because a film or TV show is a radical change. There are downsides, of course (eg., the film/show not living up to my mental image of the novel), but by and large, translation to the new medium is a fundamentally different experience -- and in some sense actually adds something that the viewer can't get elsewhere.

Translating a TV show into a film? Most of the time I think this is a bad idea, and most such translations I've found to be pretty underwhelming. Especially given that many shows nowadays have bigger budgets and are produced to be more "film-like", I don't really see what the film version adds aside from, perhaps, a bigger budget and more whiz-bang special effects, at the cost of a MUCH more condensed length and far less opportunity to tell an expansive story. Unless the film is simply another bigger-budget chapter in the TV show's story (eg., Serenity), I don't think it works. Sometimes it doesn't even work as a standalone film when you do that (eg., Serenity! Great for fans of the show, meh for anyone who'd never seen Firefly). With older shows, I find that the changes necessary to "modernize" the material get back to the constant issue that you have with adaptations of how close/far do you hew to/stray from the source material. Usually that balance is off. It can work sometimes, but it's rare in my experience.

Interestingly, the obverse -- taking a film/TV show and turning it into a video game CAN work (although it frequently doesn't). It can work because the translation actually adds a dimension to the experience: direct audience participation. I'm not just WATCHING Luke Skywalker pilot an X-wing down the Death Star trench, now I'm FLYING that X-wing myself! Awesome!! The sad part is that, most of the time, game companies do a lousy job with film adaptation games. Again, they work sometimes (I still think X-Wing is a classic, and even the old Star Wars arcade game is pretty badass), but most movie tie-in games suck. Although that's more down to them being cheesy marketing cash-grabs that producers were lazy (or financially hamstrung) in making, rather than well designed, thought-through games.

So, back to AC. If AC had started as a film, and then turned into the games we have now? Holy CRAP that would be AWESOME!!! Not only do we get to watch Altair run gracefully across rooftops, leap down on someone and shank 'em in the neck with his hidden blade...now we get to DO it ourselves!!! Go in the game-to-movie direction, though, and right off the bat we're reducing the audience's experience because they aren't controlling the action. Is that a fatal flaw? Not necessarily, but now you've got a much harder job of adding value to the experience.

Do you just re-tell, line for line, shot for shot, the narrative of the game? What's that add, exactly? Do you deviate from the game's story and tell a different story? Then why'd you tie it into the game in the first place? Just for the concept? The logo? The brand name? Do you try to subtly change the game's story so that it's mostly the same...but just a little different here and there?

Of course, all of those are (at least as I see it) artistic choices and considerations, and that's not really the point with a project like this. At least, not in terms of who's dropping bags of money on the table to pay for it. The producers are interested in making money. Period. So to them, a film adaptation of AC is a no-brainer. It's a hugely popular video game franchise. Slap the logo on a teaser poster, and you've got internet buzz and anticipation for months. Free marketing campaign! And if the fans hate the film because it subtly changed this or that, or had nothing to do with the original game....well, who gives a damn as long as they paid for their tickets? And if new fans of the franchise are created, sweet. We can sell them the action figures, the game collection, the comic books, the t-shirts, etc., etc., etc. Will it be a good film? Who the hell cares? It'll be "good" if it makes a boatload of cash.

Re: Assassins Creed Film

I would think that Fassbender would be one of the better choices to actually make a GOOD game based movie. Short of having a "real" Altair/Etzio I think Fassbender is the best fit for the role within the VERY limited acting talent we have these days. But knowing Hollyweird the role will go to Tom Cruise or Seth Rogen

well he also is the coproducer, so im pretty sure he has some say in who will be the main actor xD
and i second that he is pretty perfect for the role, too.

Three things:

First, the writing on that site is terrible. Pretend you're a real journalist for cripes sake, and don't shorten things like "pic" and "org." This isn't Twitter, you aren't limited on characters. They also seem averse to having sentences begin with "The," which is totally off-putting and jarring as a reader.

Second, the concept of video game companies using their in-house computer effects teams to develop feature films is a fantastic idea. It seems like using a team that is already familiar with the subject material and overall aesthetic for the characters and locations will lend itself to a very genuine game to movie transition. Great call by UbiSoft.

Third, I don't know why, but I've long thought Eric Balfour (Eric Balfour - IMDb) would make a really good Altair, despite his limited acting skills. I see Fassbender as an Etzio, but not Altair.

Really? I could see him maybe pulling off an older Etzio, but I think it would be nice to have a different assassin or even have a new actor take on the role. But then again he is a great actor, so could pull it off.

I agree that the sites writing is a little off, but this was the link ubisoft posted and I didnt want to dwindle finding a better write up and possible getting jedifyed for waiting to long :p

Really? I could see him maybe pulling off an older Etzio, but I think it would be nice to have a different assassin or even have a new actor take on the role. But then again he is a great actor, so could pull it off.

I agree that the sites writing is a little off, but this was the link ubisoft posted and I didnt want to dwindle finding a better write up and possible getting jedifyed for waiting to long :p
I don't blame you for the writing in the link, obviously. It just bugs me to see bad writing in general.

I think Fassbender is great, he'd be fine as any character we've met, but I see him more as the suave Italian rather than the hardened Palestinian.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back