Assassin's Creed: Altair

The blades that I'm using for mine are collapsible Tai chi swords that I "crimped" the back ends of so they won't slide out the back that I got from amazon. I think total for both it cost me $30 to make. I thought about going with the drawer slide design like yours, but Phx CC frowns upon spring loaded weapons last I checked (mine are gravity based). I found a video of someone that used rare earth magnets instead of springs and was able to get them to snap out and back in the the flick of his wrist it was rather cool! He sells them too I think, one for $60, two for $100. Its a little steep, but I'd get one just to learn how he did it. Again, great job so far, well done!

Well, the old tunics still haven't sold, but I'm finally able to get back to work on this. I've spent the last couple days re-patterning the outer tunic. It's now a bit more form fitting thanks to the inclusion of an invisible zipper up the front (if I can do it properly that is, otherwise it'll just be a really ugly, visible zipper.) I don't have anything to show yet as I'm not quite done cutting all the pieces, but I hope to have this new tunic finished by the end of the week, the new under tunic done in the days following, and the boot greaves after that. That'll leave me about 2 weeks to make the hood and scratch build the sword strap buckle and gauntlet plates, mold them, and cast them before the prop party on the 25th.

Risu, can I steal your skill for a bit? Not for long, of course. Just for the rest of my life. You can have it back someday.

Seriously, though. I need to learn leather stuff because of all of the Assassin costumes I have planned from different time periods. It's a little ridiculous.

Thanks! GG, I wouldn't say leather working is hard exactly, it just takes a long time to learn. No time like the present to start, right? This has been my biggest challenge so far, I still hope to finish my Prince of Persia movie costume some day. I'd recommend starting with something easy, like a pirate or something like that. Or just make decorative stuff. My first bunch of projects were coasters, wristbands, and a full sized Hylian shield, which I unfortunately never finished. I've found though that carving doesn't come into play much at all in costuming.

I hated every single second of this latest part, the glove.

DSC02631.jpg

DSC02632.jpg

This one's made from vinyl, the fingers are too tight, and it's probably going to fall apart after the first time I wear it. The good news is, I only need to wear it once to the prop party. After that I'll be commissioning a leather one from Magnoli, because there's no way I'm doing this again.

I got a lot of work done tonight.

DSC02647.jpg

DSC02648.jpg

The upper tunic has a hidden zipper in the front seam and a velcro tab below that. Now that it's more form fitting, it unfortunately doesn't drape properly in a perched position, I'm trying to figure out a way to remedy that, if there is one.

DSC02655.jpg

And here's everything I've got so far. I hope to have the hood, greaves, sword belt, and frog finished by next Sunday for the prop party, and I'm going to try really hard to get the gauntlet plates at least started. By the way, an open question for anybody who's made this costume before, how did you do the embroidery around the arm holes? I don't have time to hand embroider them before the party, but I'd like to do something as a place holder.

Awesome job so far. This is one of the few costumes I've seen that doesn't start to curl at the seams. Are you going to make a resin sword, short blade, or throwing knives, are you just going to stick with the iconic hidden blade?

In the long term, I plan to make the short sword from masonite and clay, probably do the normal sword the same way eventually, and I'll resin cast some throwing knives. That will be for Dragon Con if I'm able to attend. Until then, I won't be doing the sheath on the back, the shoulder pad, or the scabbard either.

Great work so far man! i would love to see that baby weathered and distressed when its finished. Just curious are you using abonude's method for the hidden blade?

I'm not really sure who that is. I'm using the same basic method as Mueldex over at assassinscostume.com except with an improved trigger mechanism that fits inside a case. The springs and rubber bands he suggests don't work at all though, and another guy on here recommended one that looks like it works perfectly, but there's no way I could fit it inside the housing, so I'm a bit stuck.

Also, Altair's costume really isn't weathered at all in the game, so I won't be doing anything to it.

Anyhow, as long as I'm here, I've made a bit of progress on the greaves and hood. The greaves are temporary, made of pleather. The main part though is some vinyl that's so close to real leather I'm not even ashamed to use it.

DSC02664.jpg

Even the back is imitation leather, and the most amazing part is that leather weld works on it, which allowed me to glue the seams open like I have on previous boot projects.

DSC02665.jpg

Unfortunately, the weld doesn't work quite as well as it does on leather (permanent) and this stuff doesn't stretch like leather, so the final product isn't as clean as I'd like. I just need to attach the straps and this one's done. I'll most likely pass these on to whoever wants them after the party this weekend and then get started on the leather ones.

Also, the hood. I attempted to drape the pattern, but that proved to be a nightmare, so I went to a thrift store and got a hoodie to cut up.

DSC02668.jpg

The red lines mark the first two changes I'll be making to the pattern. At the bottom I'll round out the shoulders on the mantle and give it an extra 1/2" in the front and back. The other line marks where the hood will rest after I make the modification that removes the neck seam. That's the part that's giving me the most trouble. That seam is a very important part of a hood, and without it there's a lot of wrinkling. I'm hoping the solution in my head works the way I think it will.

this is the mech im referring to Hidden Blade Tutorial Part 1 (Parts and tools) - YouTube

its an awesome mech, im not sure what the assassincostume guy is using but this one has a great retraction method.

when I said "weathering" I wasnt really suggesting actually wearing it down but adding some distressing to the costume to give it a "lived in" sort of feel to it ya know? the costume in game isn't exactly pure white either. I feel like the AC costumes that already look amazing would look even better with proper distressing. just a suggestion tho =]

Linen wrinkles really easily, after wearing it for a day it'll look plenty lived in. And I don't know what reference material you're going off of, but the upper tunic and hood of Altair's costume is stark bleached white in both AC1 and the less than aesthetically pleasing ACR version.

The blade has a nice retraction system, but I'm not really getting how it shoots out. Even if the blade is really heavy, how can gravity be enough to trump the spring that can easily pull it back in? He never really explained that part. Seems to defy physics a bit. I prefer mine springing out though, I don't have a problem pulling it back in manually, and I want it locked when I don't want it to shoot out. This one looks like it would come out unexpectedly a lot.

the blade comes out using momentum then locks in place, since its attached to a low tension spring, it allows the blade to move forward into the locking position, the only problem i have with his build is that the blades dont lock in the closed position but that is something that can be easily solved. is your blade spring loaded or gravity based?

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back