Assassin's Creed 3 Tomahawk WIP- FINISHEDpics:pg 3

kiddo

Hey guys, theres been a few threads on this topic, but I wanted to start one for the build I'm doing. I had planned on buying a medieval style tomahawk and converting it into the Assassin's creed tomahawk. If you don't know what it is supposed to look like, take a look at this:
11866-tomahawk.png

The base tomahawk im using arrived today. It is a little smaller than expected, and the shaft it loose, but I was planning on replacing it with a longer one anyways. In general though, I am very happy with it! Now on to filing off that annoying black finish
11944-dsc00585.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Assassin's Creed 3 Tomahawk WIP

Oh, here we go!

From that photo it doesn't look too bad size wise, comparing it to your hand. Not by the dimensions I came up with anyway.

I'll be watching eagerly dude

EDIT: I just noticed you posted on the 'dimensions' thread too. Hijack away dude, like I said, it's going to be a while before I clear a backlog and get around to this anyway

Thanks! But so far its proving to be a pain in the butt to take the black coating off. I tried sandpaper, wire wheels, paint thinner, and much more, but it seems like filing away the paint is the only thing that actually works fairly fast....

The paint on those things is a doozy.

I tried stripping one of my Cold Steel hawks once. Didn't work.

I ended up using sandpaper to get the majority of the paint off, but there's still plenty of it left in the little gaps and in the imperfections in the steel itself.

Personally I like how it turned out as it gives it a hand-forged patina look. But seriously, good luck getting it all off.

It can be done, though. There was a guy who got a CS trail hawk and got it to literally a mirror finish.

Thanks for the advice! You don't happen to be on bladeforums, do you? cause there was a HUGE thread about cs trail hawk modding, and one of the guys did exactly what you described

I don't know much about them, but wouldn't an angle grinder with one of those thin flexible discs be your best bet for getting it off? Maybe a dremel for the tight areas?

I've removed paint from metal to make swords all the time. Mostly I use a belt sander with a fairly fine grit, and use a Dremel for the edges.

An angle grinder *might* work, but only if you trust the steadiness of your hand to not mar the surface of the metal.

Hey guys, just wanted to give you a little update. A have about half of the black paint off, and will post pictures once its all off. I will have more time to work on it this weekend.

Sorry to disappoint, it may have actually had pictures if not for my horribly complicated camera Those screenshots help a lot, especially considering i think hes holding the tomahawk in almost every one :)

Yeah, although it's at the same angle in every shot. The one of him in the kayak I thought would be useful if anyone decided to give the bow a shot, fairly good detail on the quiver too

Great project! You realize that the tomahawk is the AC logo, right? Getting that triangular shape from the tomahawk you got will be really difficult, but it's probably as good a base as any. Looking forward to what you come up with!

-Magnoli

Finally, a picture! So, I got the majority of the paint off. As you can see, there are pitmarks in the crevices, but I will try to get those out. If not, it doesn't really matter, becuase leather will cover that area anyways. If you look closely, you can also see pencil marks where I have drawn where I will cut it. I made some adjustments off of Cynderblocs drawing due to the size of the head, and I also would like it to be still fairly functional once done, and a sturdy piece. This week I should be able to start work with the grinder and jigsaw! I'm hoping to have the head finished in a few weeks!
12097-dsc00591.jpg

Edit: after looking at the picture, I realized I need to make the angle of what I'm going to cut with the jigsaw have more of a curve. I have since redrawn it

New video had this bit of reference you could use.

attachment.php

I love that this thing will be fully functional when done.

Nick

Thanks for the ref Nick Daring. First time outside of the alex ross artworks that I've seen the diamonds on the grip!

The Assassin's tomahawk is more pointed and edged than what you have drawn. It is a great build so far, no disrespect. Just gunna throw my 2 cents in so you can make the best one out there. I feel like cutting the blade is going to be extremely difficult due to it's size and the angles you have to cut at. The center is the key to the whole thing (in my opinion) cause it has the AC symbol. ^^ gah im so excited for this to become real. lmfao. I LOVE AC

The Assassin's tomahawk is more pointed and edged than what you have drawn. It is a great build so far, no disrespect. Just gunna throw my 2 cents in so you can make the best one out there. I feel like cutting the blade is going to be extremely difficult due to it's size and the angles you have to cut at. The center is the key to the whole thing (in my opinion) cause it has the AC symbol. ^^ gah im so excited for this to become real. lmfao. I LOVE AC

I have redrawn the edges, and the ac symbol. But are you also talking about the contours and the angle of the grind? cause the angles on the pictures shown are very beveled, and are not very realistic. Haha are your right, the blade is going to be difficult to cut :facepalm Possible, but still difficult :)

The more I look at this design, the more I think it needs to be completely scratch built. I'm going to look into doing a run of these... could be a really cool project!

-Magnoli

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back