Assassin's Creed 3 Tomahawk WIP- FINISHEDpics:pg 3

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by kiddo, Mar 16, 2012.

1. kiddo

kiddo Active Member

Hey guys, theres been a few threads on this topic, but I wanted to start one for the build I'm doing. I had planned on buying a medieval style tomahawk and converting it into the Assassin's creed tomahawk. If you don't know what it is supposed to look like, take a look at this:
    [​IMG]

The base tomahawk im using arrived today. It is a little smaller than expected, and the shaft it loose, but I was planning on replacing it with a longer one anyways. In general though, I am very happy with it! Now on to filing off that annoying black finish
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  2. CynderBloc

CynderBloc Active Member

Re: Assassin's Creed 3 Tomahawk WIP

Oh, here we go!

From that photo it doesn't look too bad size wise, comparing it to your hand. Not by the dimensions I came up with anyway.

I'll be watching eagerly dude

EDIT: I just noticed you posted on the 'dimensions' thread too. Hijack away dude, like I said, it's going to be a while before I clear a backlog and get around to this anyway

3. kiddo

kiddo Active Member

Thanks! But so far its proving to be a pain in the butt to take the black coating off. I tried sandpaper, wire wheels, paint thinner, and much more, but it seems like filing away the paint is the only thing that actually works fairly fast....

4. Lutso

Lutso Sr Member

The paint on those things is a doozy.

I tried stripping one of my Cold Steel hawks once. Didn't work.

I ended up using sandpaper to get the majority of the paint off, but there's still plenty of it left in the little gaps and in the imperfections in the steel itself.

Personally I like how it turned out as it gives it a hand-forged patina look. But seriously, good luck getting it all off.

It can be done, though. There was a guy who got a CS trail hawk and got it to literally a mirror finish.

5. kiddo

kiddo Active Member

Thanks for the advice! You don't happen to be on bladeforums, do you? cause there was a HUGE thread about cs trail hawk modding, and one of the guys did exactly what you described

6. CynderBloc

CynderBloc Active Member

I don't know much about them, but wouldn't an angle grinder with one of those thin flexible discs be your best bet for getting it off? Maybe a dremel for the tight areas?

7. Nibenon

Nibenon Active Member

I've removed paint from metal to make swords all the time. Mostly I use a belt sander with a fairly fine grit, and use a Dremel for the edges.

An angle grinder *might* work, but only if you trust the steadiness of your hand to not mar the surface of the metal.

8. kiddo

kiddo Active Member

Hey guys, just wanted to give you a little update. A have about half of the black paint off, and will post pictures once its all off. I will have more time to work on it this weekend.

9. CynderBloc

CynderBloc Active Member

10. kiddo

kiddo Active Member

Sorry to disappoint, it may have actually had pictures if not for my horribly complicated camera Those screenshots help a lot, especially considering i think hes holding the tomahawk in almost every one :)

11. CynderBloc

CynderBloc Active Member

Yeah, although it's at the same angle in every shot. The one of him in the kayak I thought would be useful if anyone decided to give the bow a shot, fairly good detail on the quiver too

12. Indy Magnoli

Indy Magnoli Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Great project! You realize that the tomahawk is the AC logo, right? Getting that triangular shape from the tomahawk you got will be really difficult, but it's probably as good a base as any. Looking forward to what you come up with!

-Magnoli

13. kiddo

kiddo Active Member

Finally, a picture! So, I got the majority of the paint off. As you can see, there are pitmarks in the crevices, but I will try to get those out. If not, it doesn't really matter, becuase leather will cover that area anyways. If you look closely, you can also see pencil marks where I have drawn where I will cut it. I made some adjustments off of Cynderblocs drawing due to the size of the head, and I also would like it to be still fairly functional once done, and a sturdy piece. This week I should be able to start work with the grinder and jigsaw! I'm hoping to have the head finished in a few weeks!
    [​IMG]

Edit: after looking at the picture, I realized I need to make the angle of what I'm going to cut with the jigsaw have more of a curve. I have since redrawn it

14. nick daring

nick daring Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

New video had this bit of reference you could use.

[​IMG]

I love that this thing will be fully functional when done.

Nick

15. kiddo

kiddo Active Member

Great reference pic! Thanks!

16. fevereon

fevereon Active Member

Thanks for the ref Nick Daring. First time outside of the alex ross artworks that I've seen the diamonds on the grip!

17. Sirnfet

Sirnfet New Member

The Assassin's tomahawk is more pointed and edged than what you have drawn. It is a great build so far, no disrespect. Just gunna throw my 2 cents in so you can make the best one out there. I feel like cutting the blade is going to be extremely difficult due to it's size and the angles you have to cut at. The center is the key to the whole thing (in my opinion) cause it has the AC symbol. ^^ gah im so excited for this to become real. *. I LOVE AC

18. kiddo

kiddo Active Member

I have redrawn the edges, and the ac symbol. But are you also talking about the contours and the angle of the grind? cause the angles on the pictures shown are very beveled, and are not very realistic. Haha are your right, the blade is going to be difficult to cut :facepalm Possible, but still difficult :)

19. kiddo

kiddo Active Member

Sorry for double posting but heres a pic of the redrawn edges:
    [​IMG]

20. Indy Magnoli

The more I look at this design, the more I think it needs to be completely scratch built. I'm going to look into doing a run of these... could be a really cool project!

-Magnoli

21. MClass

MClass Active Member

This is gonna be exciting! Looking forward to this game.

22. kiddo

kiddo Active Member

Really? are you like one of those professional smiths on this forum?

23. Indy Magnoli

24. kiddo

kiddo Active Member

25. Indy Magnoli

There is only one of me... but many workers that help to make the final product. ;)

26. Jm419

Jm419 Sr Member

I'm gonna agree with Magnoli on this one. Not only is that going to be very, very difficult to cut (it's probably hardened steel; what they make tools out of), it's going to be dangerous too. The angles are going to be virtually impossible to pull off first try, especially if you're not a skilled metalworker.

Make sure you've got someone who knows what they're doing. You could easily lose a finger trying to cut those edges.

27. Indy Magnoli

Well, we can definitely replicate this piece, so I'm going to do some estimates and see if I can come up with a price. I'll then start an interest list in the junkyard and see how things go...

28. kiddo

kiddo Active Member

ummm...ok? I wasn't even sure that i wanted to do the angles in the first place, and the metal is fairly soft (as ive seen), so im think im gonna be fine....

And indy, i know this was a while ago when u posted this, but of course I know its the ac logo! i really am not as simpleminded as you make me out to be, so please give me some credit. and while i had planned on ME doing a run of these, as i had mentioned in another thread, now YOU seem to be doing them....if you are going to advertise your project, then at least have the curtosy to not do it on my thread....

29. CynderBloc

CynderBloc Active Member

I think they mean that the corners of the inside curves are quite tight, push too hard on those and the blade will snap like a twig

It hadn't even crossed my mind until they mentioned it, the safer option might be to cut the bulk of it out and use a dremel to do the fine work

30. Indy Magnoli

Whoa, I was just trying to help out with that comment about the AC symbol. Sometimes we miss the forest for the trees, I know I do it all the time. It took me YEARS to finally realize there are Ark Cherubs on the headpiece (even AFTER I sculpted my own version, I never saw them).

I didn't realize you were planning on doing a run of these, from the tone of your post I thought this was a one-off for yourself. I even thought by offering a run here, I'd be helping you out as it seems like a really tricky project and, as you mentioned yourself, it'll be a little undersized. I didn't mean to step on any toes.

-Magnoli

31. kiddo

kiddo Active Member

Sorry if i overreacted, i meant to be civil...now that i reread my post, im not really sure i was :facepalm. To be honest, i get alot of crap because im younger and most of the people in here are old timers like yourself, and often dont take me seriously, which kinda leaves me prone to me thinking people are saying i dont know what im talking about, when in fact i do. And cynderbloc, i was actually planning on grinding the outside part, as opposed to cutting it. i didnt think of using the dremel to shape the inside once cutting out the bulk parts, thats a great idea!

32. cod289722

cod289722 New Member

wow!! that is by far the coolest A.C. replica I've seen in awile. Nice job on the details. can't wait to see the end result!

33. Jm419

Jm419 Sr Member

Look, we're not trying to be rude, but the fact is, you're fourteen. Some of us (Magnoli, especially; I'm only twenty myself) have been doing this for a while, and we're trying to spare you some heartache and some hard work. We're not going after you because of your age, but we're trying to help you by giving you some tips and a few shortcuts. We want to help others not make the same mistakes we did. :)

You've come a long way from duct tape and whittled blasters. We're just trying to help you take the next step. ;)

34. Indy Magnoli

*... when did I become the old guy? :darnkids :lol

35. Risu

Risu Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

If this guy really is 14 (if the previous comment wasn't an exaggeration) then I think every other person on this forum myself included counts as an old guy.

36. Sirnfet

Sirnfet New Member

* yeah they are. but hey, if you can get it closer to an exact replica the better! YOU CAN DO ITTT!!! XP what do you plan to use to cut it?

37. kiddo

kiddo Active Member

Well, actually im 15, but no ones counting :). i appreciate your guys help, it is a very valuable asset and has helped me tremendously on my projects. and by the way, i cut the handle of that blaster with a scroll saw, it was not whittled :lol.

Sirnfet: I have the jigsaw, but dont have the metal cutting blade yet. I was actually kinda angry i wasnt making much progress on this the other day, so i took to the outer corner edge with a hacksaw...after using the dremel to clean it up, it looks pretty good!

38. shanes4doorsi

shanes4doorsi New Member

good luck with the cutting it might be qa pain in the *

39. Sirnfet

Sirnfet New Member

Just keep posting pics!! ^^ seriously can't wait for the final picture to be up and us to be all like "oooooohhhhh ahhhhhh"

40. kiddo

kiddo Active Member

Hahaha thanks! Ive worked on it alot for the past couple of days, and stayed up til 11 working on it on saturday. ive decided not to do that pointed-indent thing on the inside of the head near the shaft due to difficulty of cutting. other than that, however, it looks awesome! i found a suitable piece of wood to use as the shaft, and all i nead to do on the head is smooth it out with the dremel. do any of you know if wood can be fire-hardened in an oven?

Edit: heres a pic of what i have so far, still working on it though:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  41. kiddo

kiddo Active Member

Sorry for double posting, but i think i should start wearing a mask whiel dremeling...i was blowing my nose, and noticed metal filings in it :confused

42. Contec

Contec Master Member

You can't use too much protection. Lets hope you did not get metals down your lungs.

43. Nibenon

Nibenon Active Member

True enough, I was making swords for over a year without realizing I was inhaling particles... my lung's collapsed twice over the past 6 months... :cry

44. kiddo

kiddo Active Member

I made alot of progress on the handle today, and am currently in the process of sanding it and then fitting it to the head. I also decided to take up another tomahawk, the tomahawk from the patriot, while doing this one. I posted an interest thread in the junkyard if anyones interested. Hopefully I should have the ac3 tomahawk done in a few weeks at most.

45. Ormad

Ormad New Member

very nice. you using cuttoff wheels on the dremel? also where did you get that tomahawk, or whats it called or something kinda wanna do this now

46. CynderBloc

CynderBloc Active Member

He linked it in an older thread, just gimme a sec to find it....

EDIT: Here you go - http://www.hatchetsandaxes.com/medieval_arrowhead_tomahawk_axe

Btw, looking great, and I'm glad you didn't annihilate yourself cutting it....

Also, are you leaving the poll spike as is? I thought you were grinding it down so it's a bit thinner like the concept art?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  47. Ormad

Ormad New Member

much appreciated @cynderbloc. yes kiddo im impressed

48. kiddo

kiddo Active Member

Umm, thats something im still debating. Not sure if it would look too small/wimpyish haha but its something im considering. And thanks ormad, that means alot. But be warned, if you plan on getting the tomahawk online, its as much for the shipping is it as for the hawk itself :unsure. I actually saw some at SMKW while on vacation, so if you live near there, that might be the better option.

49. kiddo

kiddo Active Member

Yay! I put the handle on the head, and then stained the handle as well! Once it dries, I'm going to put the leather on.

50. Indy Magnoli

Where are the photos? This project sounds really interesting, but photos would be nice to see. ;)