Ash Project -Army of Darkness Photos 7-11-06

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by Zendragon, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Zendragon

Zendragon Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

For several years I have wanted to do the Ash costume from the Army of Darkness movie. The one I have started working on is from the end of Evil Dead 2 and the beggining of AOD

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tracy is planning to do a costume similar to the one in the poster as seen below

[​IMG]

With the help of a few different people (Mottman - thanks), I think this costume will finally become a reality.

Here is a progress photo of the chainsaw...

[​IMG]

I am trying to put together the most accurate costume that I can, so if anyone has info to help me do that, or for Tracy's costume, please share. Thanks.

2. Prop-Maker

Prop-Maker Well-Known Member

That movie is so awesome. "Klatu, verotta... ni[mumbles]."

3. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

Good luck with that costume. I am a big fan of the Evil Dead movies and would love to see a good Ash costume.

4. Zendragon

Well I am hoping that I can do it justice...

I will keep the thread updated with progress.

5. Magic Man

Magic Man Well-Known Member

Well Keith, you definitely have the right look for it.

6. Grimm Jimm

Grimm Jimm New Member

I'll be interested is watching this to see how it developes. There was somone dressed as Ash walking around our local Renaissance Festival last year - I thought it was a very inspired choice - and a welcome surprise to say the least. We just needed some deadites there to spice things up a bit.

Remember... "Shop smart... Shop S-Mart."

7. howlingwind13

howlingwind13 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

chainsaw link
    It wold be cool if you could get this guy to sell you just the "guts" of his prop and incorporate it in you saw...I've seen and heard this thing and "played" with this prop in chicago...It's pretty loud and awesome.
    mike

8. Swedolorian

Swedolorian New Member

:lol :lol :lol That's so cool.
    That costume will really an unusual choice ;)
    I will look forward to see the final result...

9. Darth Mule

Darth Mule Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

YES. Somebody needs to do a good ash costume. Here's my two cents to help you along. I think I own a pair of the pants. Dickies makes a Twill Jean (not to be confused with their regular workpant) that comes in a color called 'chocolate'. http://www.dickies.com/wc2/product.asp?cat...%AE+TWILL+JEANS They look like the thing to me. It entirely possible that the shirt is a dickies too. take a look http://www.dickies.com/wc2/product.asp?cat...%2FSHORT+SLEEVE

Hope this is helpful. Keep us posted with the progress.

10. shortimer52

shortimer52 Well-Known Member

LOVE IT....

I hope you can get it looking good.

11. Rogue187

Rogue187 New Member

What kind of shotgun does ASH use.
    The brand and model would be helpful..

12. TimDrakeRobin

TimDrakeRobin Sr Member

its a double barreled remington, cobolt blue steel with a walnut stock and a Hair trigger....S Marts top of the line. :p

13. Zendragon

Hey that's hnot a half bad idea.

14. Zendragon

Thanks for the link, I will check it out. I definitely want some sound.

15. Zendragon

What TimDrakeRobine said.... the exact quote:

"Now listen up, you primitive screwheads. See this? This... is my boomstick. The 12-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about $109.95. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You *got* that?"

Darth Mule, thanks for the links... you could be onto something there.

16. Zendragon

Well I finally got some photos and things are starting to take shape now. My chainsaw and shotgun should be here anyday (pray)

The first photo is of Tracy's dress. Made by the amazing people at the-magic-wardrobe.com and it is based on one of the dresses that "Shiela" wears in Army of Darkness

[​IMG]

The shirt and harness started here:

[​IMG]

I was able to find a similar shirt from e-bay and carefully selected the materials for the harness.

Many screen shots later, I think I figured out which straps were webbing and which were leather

[​IMG]

Next came the fun part, destressing everything

[​IMG]

Once I had all the rips and tears in place, I could bring on some blood

[​IMG]

17. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

Brilliant - keep us updated. :thumbsup

18. Zendragon

<div class='quotetop'>(ob1al @ Jul 11 2006, 06:53 PM) [snapback]1278747[/snapback]</div>
    will do...

Think I forget the latest photos, the more distressed look. I have since darkened the top more, dyed the pants and will put finishing touching up the weathering at the con...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. wGraves

wGraves Well-Known Member

Wow, any new updates on this? Looks like it was going great.

-Will

20. dropshipbob

dropshipbob Sr Member

I was at store the other day called Factory Card Outlet, and in their Haloween section they had a big plastic chainsaw. I'm positive it had some sort of electronic sound, but I didn't want to start in up...didn't want to draw any attention as the store was really quiet.

That could probably be incorporated into your saw...but I don't know about the volume.

21. howlingwind13

howlingwind13 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I just bought a chainsaw for our haunted house...now because you CAN'T have a gas chainsaw indoors( fire hazard) I bought one with digital sound...definantly too expensive for your costume but this sucker is loud.
    It's battery powered (like a big battery. comes with a belt clip) but it's very light and really cool.
    Check out the link.

spooky props
    mike

22. CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I just noticed he's wearing a watch too. That might be another easy one.

23. Geoff Gay

Geoff Gay New Member

I put an Ash costume together about 5 years ago for Halloween, and have been in the process of "upgrading" it ever since. I'm still looking for a good chainsaw - I'm still using my stepdad's broken 30" Stihl that first inspired me to do the costume - That thing is a beast to pack around...

Here's a picture of a friend using it this year - The chainsaw definately helps... =)

I had a watch five years ago that was perfect - Traditional silver face with a brown leather band, but it has since been broken. The shoes are some sort of 80's HiTech waffle stomper with metal A-ring lace loops. Some stuff (specifically the pants) varies from EDII to AOD. I sketched up all the scars & sratches (Face and body) at some point, but I'm pretty sure it got sucked into a vortex with the watch...

[​IMG]

I had assumed the whole thing was leather when I first did it, but afterward, I had the "cloth/leather" debate with some friends of mine. We didn't look into it too extensively, but didn't come up with anything that was unmistakably one way or the other - Is there a particular place in the movie where you can tell for sure?

24. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

[​IMG]

Maybe you could take the sound module out of one of them and put it in a real chainsaw body?

25. Zendragon

I forgot that I hadn't updated this thread...

So now I will...

AshSaw.jpg

AshSaw2.jpg

The saw is built from a real chainsaw that has been gutted. A member here took the commission to great what I think is an amazing work of art.

This is one of the shots from Comic Con, and I think it was better at Dragon*Con... I will post a photo from that soon.

AshZen.jpg

Arenaprops and HempWickSpider like this.
  26. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

Absolutely perfect.

27. Geoff Gay

Geoff Gay New Member

Nice. You've definately got the look for it...

Excellent job.

Geoff

28. Electronic Lids

Electronic Lids Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Nice Chin appliance :p

29. motman241

motman241 Well-Known Member

Congrats. Glad you like everything.

Just want to point out that the bar and chain are one piece of plexiglass - convention safe, and add almost nothing to the overall weight. How much does the saw weigh? A couple pounds, if that?

30. shortimer52

shortimer52 Well-Known Member

You are my hero.

31. Last_Chael

Last_Chael Active Member

This looks fantastic. :D You've done a great job.

32. Ash

Ash Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Nice

-Ash

33. Zendragon

Wow from the ashes (no pun intended), nice to know the search function works.

Thanks man!

34. Risu

Risu Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I never saw this thread, you really pull off the Bruce Campbell look with that chin upgrade.

35. Ash

I wanted to refresh it so I can try and steal as many ideas as I could for my other thread I have about trying to cheaply put this together.

36. Rens

Rens Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow, good job. You look just like him.

37. Zendragon

You know, this costume was one of the cheaper ones that I have done, most expensive part being the chainsaw/shotgun which was made by motman241

The rest was just found at second hand stores and distressed. The leather was based off of a leather hide, but you could easily use leather from belts and the webbing portion is just a military web belt.

Total investment, maybe $300

Thanks man!

38. historic

historic New Member

Heya,

You really do have "the look" for Ash. Good job!

I was the armourer who built most of the arms and armour for the film in '91.

If you get a hankerin' to do the Evil Ash rig, I can help. I have lots of photos of what I built for the show, granted I'd have to find time to scan them (they're from the years before digital, so they're prints), and I have a cast from the mold we used for the original helmet.

Cheers,

Jeffrey H.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
  39. GoneSolo

GoneSolo New Member

Can't wait to see 'em. Welcome!

40. Zendragon

Oh wow cool! and thanks! I might have to give that some thought. Any chance you also did the guantlet?

41. Ash

I think I'm going to attempt to modify a red one gallon gas can for my chainsaw.

42. themanwoaname

themanwoaname Sr Member

i spent 48 hours with out sleep sewing and hammering leather for my harness, since when is it webbing mesh?

43. Ash

So the Shirt and Pants are transformed now just need a little dirtying up. The harness is also complete minus the holster. Until I get my shotgun built I need to wait on the holster to make sure it fits.

The harness was A LOT easier then I thought it was going to be. Time wise it took me TWO complete viewings of Army Of Darkness to complete (I had it playing in the background while I worked.) The "brass" circles you see are called brass plated fasteners and can be bought at any office supply store, all I did was make holes in the leather belts, wrap them around the rings and put the fasteners on. They actually hold fairly good on their own but I'm going to reenforce them with some hot glue to make sure they stay.

There is a web show called Backyard FX that you can find on YouTube and he actually built a chainsaw and a shotgun for around 20 bucks a piece so I'm collecting as much of the supplies for free then I'll modify the original design as I see fit.

So let me know what you guy think so far... and as far as the pictures SORRY about the bathroom shots it's the only place with a full length mirror in my abode.

-ASH

DSCF1578.jpg
    DSCF1577.jpg
    DSCF1572.jpg

gothic and Arenaprops like this.
  44. Max Jenius

Max Jenius Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You guys look bad *! Love it!

45. Rens

Rens Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Ash- you look great!
    Certainly living up to your name :)

46. Zendragon

Hey nice work so far!

47. themanwoaname

themanwoaname Sr Member

just to clarify, ash, your ripped sleeve arm, is the left arm right? or are you left handed going with a reverse look?

48. Ash

You made me think I had it wrong. I had to go upstairs and look at the costume because the pictures where confusing me. It's the left arm that's ripped. The pictures where taken in a mirror.

-Ash

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  49. themanwoaname

themanwoaname Sr Member

whew. good. i wasnt sure because i couldnt find anything to figure it out. better to be sure than messed up.

50. chilicheese

chilicheese New Member

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010