"As You Wish" Star Wars CVI Helmet; HRG Trooper

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by The Clone Emperor, Jan 27, 2012.

1. The Clone Emperor

The Clone Emperor Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Perhaps now the equation I have been eluding to on Facebook all Winter will make more sense;

I have begun publishing my progress on the "As You Wish" Helmet Project for Star Wars Celebration VI. My helmet will be an homage to HR Giger's creature design for the movie Alien.

[​IMG]
    1. Alien frontal skull = Vader helmet
    2. Alien lower mouth features = Clone Trooper lower helmet
    3. Alien spine ridge = Clone Trooper fin repeated
    4. Alien ribs along side of head = Death Star hallway light features
    5. Alien tubing bulge = Clone Trooper thermal detonator
    6. Alien secondary mouth = Darth Vader lightsabre

Along with several sketches, I am first constructing a 1/6th scale maquette. I am taking this additional step to solidify the design before I cut up the full scale helmets being used the final piece.
    [​IMG]

I will be updating this gallery often as helmet gestation progresses to full scale.
    HRG Trooper WIP image set on Flickr

Be well,
    Thomas

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  2. jedichase

jedichase Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: CVI Helmet Project; TC + Hotdog + CVI = HRG Trooper

WOW!! Great work and Awesome idea for a helmet. This shall raise a lot of cash for charity. Can't wait to see this at CVI.

3. NexusFX

NexusFX Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

great idea for it!! I Have mine all planned out but haven't worked on it yet.

4. The Clone Emperor

Maquette WIP 11

Thank you,

And I do look forward to the seeing the work of all the other artists, celebrities, and professional studios who are working on this project.

Forsooth, I find progress threads engaging. And this project will provide for some nice shots;
    [​IMG]

This morning I am truing up the "Death Star Panel Lighting," my SW translation of the ribbing on the side of the Alien's head.

HRG Trooper Photo Set on Flickr

Be well,
    Thomas

5. Panzer

Panzer Well-Known Member

Whoah super creative and very cool. I can't wait to get a picture with this at CVI!

6. The Clone Emperor

CVI Helmet Project; concept

Work is proceeding smoothly on the maquette, though I want a little more done before sharing new progress images. (I might even be receiving a little help from a big team on that end.)

In the meanwhile, I thought it might be nice to share a bit of the concept work I played with before deciding in the HRG Trooper design.
    [​IMG]

7. tubachris85x

tubachris85x Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'll say that's a clever design

8. DaddyfromNaboo

DaddyfromNaboo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey Thomas,

as usual your work totally stands out!

Looking forward to seeing the final result!

Michael

9. The Clone Emperor

HRG Trooper beginning full scale

Thank you for your support and interest

Yesterday was a long, but productive day.

I began work on the full size helmet;
    [​IMG]
    Efx sent participants fully finished Clone Trooper Captain helmets to work with. This was deemed more efficient than putting in an order for a small run of unfinished helmets with their team in China.

[​IMG]
    It was intimidating to start work on such a nice collectible, but transforming it into something beyond is the purpose of the project.

[​IMG]
    My maquette provides the 3-D blueprint of the work ahead and the confidence to do what must be done. I expect to complete the maquette soon. Sideshow Collectibles has even offered to send me a couple of the final 1/6 scale pieces I will need to finish the detailing.

Be well,
    Thomas

HRG Photo Set on Flickr

10. The Clone Emperor

CVI Helmet Project; Full size WIP

While waiting for the final parts to detail the maquette, I began assembling the face mask of the full build this weekend;
    [​IMG]

11. trooper1m

trooper1m Active Member

This is a fantastic idea, i really like this design

12. Kris Lyssara

Kris Lyssara Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Having wanted one of those Captain helmets FOREVER, I literally cried a little seeing it cut up. But this project looks amazing!

13. G33k

G33k Member

That is so awesome. I love a good crossover!

14. AMP

AMP Well-Known Member

WOW! Great concept!

15. The Clone Emperor

HRG Trooper 1/6 WIP - 13

Good afternoon,

It was daunting when the pristine helmet from EFX arrived. I said to myself, "You better be sure about what you are planning to do." And I realized, I am. I had been sketching for months, and begun sourcing parts before the helmet arrived.

This past weekend, with the arrival of a special package, I worked towards completing the maquette.
    [​IMG]
    1. Special thanks to SIDESHOW COLLECTIBLES INC. for sending me the 1/6 scale lightsabre and clone trooper thermal detonators I requested for detailing the lower half of this maquette. I might have been able to hunt down the same on ebay, but I much more prefer to involve the company that I hold with such admiration. Thank you for the inspiration.
    2. First blood; That's a 3/8" slothead screwdriver puncture in my palm, (I was using it to crack a groove on the pvc pipe "mother mold" used to mold the bent Maul sabre.
    3. I really do a lot of my work from the bath. After this shot I added more Apoxie to secure the new additions and bubbles to make the bath more luxuriant.

HRG Photo Set on Flickr

Be well,
    Thomas

16. Koda Vonnor

Koda Vonnor Well-Known Member

Very nice, Maestro! I'm lovin' it so far.

~ BC

17. The Clone Emperor

Resuming progress after respite

Thank you, my esteemed colleague.

As You Wish Charity Helmet Auction at Star Wars Celebration VI, maquette WIP;

Resuming progress after respite. Again special thanks to Sideshow Collectibles for the assist with the scale lightsabre and clone trooper parts.

[​IMG]
    Tightened seal between bust stand and helmet base, added throat and back of neck ribbing details. Will complete with drool hoses to back.

While I still have plans for to develop this maquette even further, my focus is now on the final full-size piece.

HRG Photo Set on Flickr

Be well,
    Thomas

18. superweasle

superweasle New Member

This is very creative, looking awesome so far.

19. The Clone Emperor

Good morning,

On the topic of project updates;
    HRG Trooper Maquette, final master
    The next image represents the progress of the maquette for my full scale contribution to the 501st and EFX's 2012 "As You Wish" Artist Charity Helmet Project at Star Wars Celebration VI. Proceeds will benefit the Make-A-Wish foundation.
    [​IMG]

The full size helmet is progressing at a pace that is almost predictable. And though I have worked out much of the proportions and placement of elements with the maquette, new challenges arise in addressing the full scale.
    [​IMG]
    My task at this stage of the project is two fold;
    1. To make the audience believe the recognizable elements from different characters really were designed to go together.
    2. To subtly tweak the form of each element to elevate a degree of fear when viewing.

I was mildly surprised and greatly delighted with artist Scott Zambelli requested reference images of the helmet in progress to include in his 501st Sketch Cards, part of a larger collection of SW artist work to be displayed at SW Celebration VI.
    [​IMG]
    I love seeing artists work with and inspiring one another in chain reaction fashion.

HRG Photo Set on Flickr

Be well,
    Thomas Spanos

20. The Clone Emperor

HRG Trooper, Full-sized helmet in production

501st and EFX's 2012 "As You Wish" Artist Charity Helmet Project at Star Wars Celebration VI. Proceeds will benefit the Make-A-Wish foundation.

Progress images from the weekend;
    [​IMG]
    This will be big. But not this big. I estimate I will shave this block down to 40-30% of its current mass.

[​IMG]
    Working at full scale afforded me an opportunity to try out the shop's Japanese Razorsaw.
    I have concluded that I need a Japanese Razorsaw in my life.

[​IMG]
    After several years of shaving away deli slices from my project, shop professional Jon Olimb took pity on me and offered the use of his cordless skill saw (with built-in project light and ammo counter.)

¿Who would have guessed that so many tools were missing from my life?

HRG Photo Set on Flickr

Be well,
    Thomas Spanos

21. Azurial

Azurial Well-Known Member

Geiger would be proud :D

You should think about vacuforming some of this too lol

22. NelBearPig

NelBearPig Member

I have no words

23. Cameron

Cameron Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Splendid concept!

24. The Clone Emperor

HRG Trooper progress continues

[​IMG]
    Making pink snow.

[​IMG]
    Over and over I reshaped the main body of the helmet. It is now one foot shorter than when I started. I suppose I could have taken measurement from my maquette and scales up, but I prefer to feel the shape arrive. There is a long way to go yet. I look forward to it.

[​IMG]
    In preparation for colour scheme options, I have the maquette in a uniform white. I very much appreciate the way the uniform colour brings out the piece's details.

More soon.

HRG Photo Set on Flickr

25. Koda Vonnor

Koda Vonnor Well-Known Member

Thomas, what is the lavender block made out of?

26. DaddyfromNaboo

DaddyfromNaboo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

27. BlackKaos

BlackKaos Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This looks really cool. I have always like HR Gigers style. Never seen this star wars rendition though. Pretty cool twist.

28. The Clone Emperor

Layer by Layer

Good evening,

Yes, Michael is correct. The pink material is standard building insulation, lamented with Gorilla Glue.

I have spent quite a few days carving an sanding that initial block down to size;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I have cut a fairly expensive collectible to shreds. This is not something I do lightly. Over half of my production tyme on this project has gone into planning. I do believe that effort is paying off.

I like to take a page from my native brother's philosophy of using every part of the kill. I am using as much of the original helmet as possible in this design. The viewer of the final piece may not immediately know this for fact, but it is my hope that they feel it.

[​IMG]
    Layers; Grey lacquer based primer, microfil bondo, and resin jacket over a shaped foam core. The developement of the full-sized helmet follows the maquette in a manner satisfying to me. Very much a "I love it when a plan comes together" moment.

Today, I am making a pattern in preparation for reproducing the horn for the “spine” on the top of the skull.

Be well,
    Thomas

HRG Photo Set on Flickr

29. The Clone Emperor

Not a "heavy hitter," but don't turn your back on me.

Progress from last week;

[​IMG]
    Here I use tape and a circle template to layout hours more work for myself. I had too because the Voice told me so. (There are tymes that I question the nature of the Voice's intent.)

[​IMG]
    Round two. My first attempt to rout out the “Death Star” lighting was unsatisfactory. For this attempt I filled in the previous attempt, and prepared the area a new with the elipses in 1/16" of craft foam.

[​IMG]
    Here I have added a new layer of Microlite filler and sanded it smooth to the same thickness as the elipses.

[​IMG]
    ”Death Star hallway lighting" patterning solved and clone trooper "horn" reproduced to mimic spine. I have learned much by arriving at this point.

Be well,
    Thomas

HRG Photo Set on Flickr

30. The Clone Emperor

Progress from third week June 2012;

[​IMG]
    I had wanted to use a fan-made kit for the thermal detonators on the full-sized helmet to reference the 501st costuming community. However, as tyme wore on without response from various boards I realized I would simply need to make them myself. They were fun to make after all.

[​IMG]
    Despite having to fabricate the majority of this helmet, I am striving to use as much of the original clone trooper lid as possible. Here I used a heat gun to reshape the vent on the back of the original helmet and affix it to the original helmet's forehead. Together these become the bottom of the back of the HRG Trooper helmet.

[​IMG]
    If it is not apparent already, I have purposely been shooting the same side and angle of the piece so as to best demonstrate progress.

[​IMG]
    It is moments like this that I can envision having my weekends back. I do love the process.

Be well,
    Thomas

HRG Photo Set on Flickr

31. madmax

madmax Sr Member

Soooooo good

32. MFP 2020

MFP 2020 Sr Member

Unbelievable. I'm in awe.

33. NexusFX

NexusFX Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

are you going to be doing a dome over the whole thing or just keeping it more along the "warrior" lines with the spine exposed?

34. Cosmic Ash

Cosmic Ash Well-Known Member

thats looking gorgeous! i wish i wouldve saw that you were looking for thermal detonators. I did a run of them on the mandalorian mercs boards and i wouldve gladly donated some to you!

35. The Clone Emperor

"As You Wish" SW Celebration VI Helmet; HRG Trooper

Progress from first week of July 2012;
    [​IMG]
    This weekend I began to shape the torso display piece. Combined, the piece's final presence can be visualized.

I think it prudent to mention at this stage that I still have all ten fingers.

IronFett, this piece was always envisioned without the dome;
    [​IMG]
    This decision was based on the beauty of the original Alien construction, which was picked up in the sequel. The Warrior Alien, as it is called now.

Sleeping Lionheart, thank you for the consideration. I still could use the upper chest armour front and back--but I only need from the breast line up. Shoulder strap piece would also be of help. PM me soon if you have a lead. Otherwise, I will simply make these from scratch too.

Be well,
    Thomas
    HRG Photo Set on Flickr

36. The Clone Emperor

HRG Trooper, leading up to the last week

A few update images as I wait for morning to resume sanding;

[​IMG]
    This is the backpack for the HRG Trooper, during construction. Based on the standard issue for an AT-RT driver pack, this component was used part of the HRG Trooper macquette as an anchor point for the jaw cables.

[​IMG]
    Undercarriage
    I painstakingly built panels in sheet styrene in to block off the "exhaust tubes" and fitted foam shims around the same to account for gaps that were created earlier. Then I began to cover my handy work with autobody filler. And I did not quite finish sanding the area.

I am reminded that this effort will likely be the least seen projection of the project. None-the-less it is important to do right.

[​IMG]
    This is a copy of the model I made to help visualize my full-sized contribution to the As You Wish Helmet Project. I have been experimenting with different treatments for the final piece. Though I do not intend to use this finish I feel Chinese red lacquer carving effect works very well on the intimate scale of the maquette.

[​IMG]
    My friend spoke it best when he commented that project was more than just a helmet.
    It is a life style.

Be well,
    Thomas

37. The Clone Emperor

"As You Wish" Star Wars CVI Helmet; HRG Trooper; Complete

Now that I am back from my Star Wars Celebration VI/Dragon*con Odyssey, I can share what the completed project looked like;
    [​IMG]
    Through out the project's construction, the fins of the “Spinal Ridge” were left unattached until the very end to avoid wear. As the fins were individually sloped, they were numbered to mark position.

[​IMG]
    Assembled.

[​IMG]
    Painted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Be well,
    Thomas

38. Hacksaw44

Hacksaw44 Well-Known Member

Wow, Just wow !!!!!

39. ataru72ita

ataru72ita Well-Known Member

Necro posting big thank You, I definitelly could have never seen this incredibly creative project!!:thumbsup

40. Blue Leader

Blue Leader Well-Known Member

I saw this as the Celebration, it was pretty neat. And big. :)